Living Beyond 100

Re: Living Beyond 100

oops, sorry...now i know, tks

this is very good information and good timing too as i was deciding whether to puchase a over 100k E46 318i today. glad i read this posting. as the dealer was offering me a very attractive $, should i still consider since i very likely will have to spend $1.5k more to change the cooling system? bros, do give me your advice. appreciate in advance.

Actually there is really nothing wrong with car that are above 100k mileage.

Other than the basic must do, the car is great to drive. Unless u r comparing to buy a new car, maintenance is part and parcel of owning a car.

For all u know, the parts may have been changed since u mentioned it has past 100k...

ok my turn for my cooling system to spoil...
Coolant Tank (changed at 85K)
Coolant Cap (changed at 95K)
Top Hose (changed at 95K)

Now 96K, in the workshop...probably changing radiator.
Oil leaks in the engine too..

Sian

Me too thinking of purchasing a 2003 2.2L E46 with 150K mileage done on the car....the price is very attractive. A MODIC check indicated nothing wrong with the car. Car's engine is smooth, transmission good, steering feel tight. Only things needed to change is arm bush and rear bush. Suspension and absorber still ok.

Anything to add besides taking note:

1. Cooling system
2. Aircond system
3. Engine - sensors need replacing, Alternator
4. Wheel - bearings?

Car was driven mostly on highways....

Years back when I was driving the E39 (520), by the 5th year of ownership I was already clocking in >200,000km (frequent trips up North). In all those years (if I can recall correctly), the car never once gave me a problem, except for the aircon and the pesky rear brake light bulb blowing off problem. I hope to pin it down to regular scheduled servicing/maintenance, as opposed to just the typical engine oil change only, especially after the warranty period from PML ran out. Or was I just lucky?

Anyway, I am keeping my fingers crossed that the current car (E60, 523) will have a trouble-free motoring life too. Good luck to all of you and happy motoring!

Cheers! :)

indeed its a magical 100k mark... my E90 just passed 100k and my aircon broke down.. and i was told that the aircon cooler leaking and it costs 1k+ to replace.. very sad now.. haiz... and warranty just over somemore...:(

Rem to check fuel pump pressure. My fuel pump juz died & i got stuck @ junction of Beach Rd/Tan Quee Lan St. Very dangerous.

hi all,
Rule of thumb:
My former e46 clocked 235000km and air-cond was still in good condition because this was what the workshop guy told me to do periodically:-

a) Flushed your air-con every 2 years. This will remove impurities in the system which may resulted in corrosion and leak. Not just gas, enough oil in the air-con system is very important to prolong the life span of the compressor.

b) Flushed the coolant every 2 years.

c) Filled the engine oil to mid level, NOT max or worse above Max....why ? some seal at the engine will give-way especially when >100k millage.

d) NO engine wash..why? Alternator is not covered and is exposed to dirt, oil etc...so when engine wash is not done properly, water got in and will degrade the BUSH contact, creating more contact resistance, arcing will happen more and then once contact is gone, alternator needs overhaul...

Hope this help.

Thanks

Does the number of years come into consideration?

Eg a four year w low mileage (

From reading these posts it seems like the smaller cc engines tend to be more problematic. Do our forumers with the 2.5 and 3.0 or above models face similar issues? Do the issues mentioned thus far also affect the other German and or European models to some degree? Friend's Honda Odyssey did 180k in 3 years. No issues other than changing wiper blades and brake rotors and pads. Another with Subaru Legacy turbo 110ks totally problem free. How do we compare in this particular area of ownership costs?

Cooling System
I will be reaching the 100km mark can bros pls advise the cost of the following below?
i'm driving a 05yr 523

Expansion tank
Radiator
top hose
thermostat

Fuelling System
charcoal filter
fuel filter
fuel pump

My E90 coolant light came on a couple of days ago, and I did remember to topping off about 1-2 months ago. Topped it off but went to Sin Ming for a peace of mind check. i"m at 84k right now. Thankfully no oil leaks, that was fixed at 75k... :(

In 2 hours i was about $1k poorer after replacing the radiator(cracked or leaking..), almost all the rubber hoses related to the cooling system. Fan switch....etc.

I am now mentally prepared for the aircon to go next....

This is a very helpful post! I am new to the BMW scene and looking at getting a 7 series and I this information is invaluable ! :)

Thank you

danocs;559385 said:
My E90 coolant light came on a couple of days ago, and I did remember to topping off about 1-2 months ago. Topped it off but went to Sin Ming for a peace of mind check. i"m at 84k right now. Thankfully no oil leaks, that was fixed at 75k... :(

In 2 hours i was about $1k poorer after replacing the radiator(cracked or leaking..), almost all the rubber hoses related to the cooling system. Fan switch....etc.

I am now mentally prepared for the aircon to go next....

Wow bro, that was expensive... i did mine last month, and it was around 1,000km to the magical 100k...anyway, hope everything will be fine for all bros..

I'm looking at a 2009/2010 pre-owned 318 or 320 from PPSL...but am not sure if the future servicing of the car will costs me a bomb. Heard that there is a major parts replacement for a merc at 70k...is this similar to a BMW as well?

Can help to advise pls?

Thanks!

Approaching the 100k mark and this is the recent change list

1. Clutch
2. SMG Pump and actuators
3. Convertible roof motor

Fuel and cooling system was changed at about 75K and 90K respectively.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
11sin88com
Back