Lowering car with H&R springs - comfort concern

Thinkbig

Hi friends

Thinking of lowering my e90 320i with H&R Springs (costs about $700+). Am very concerned about the decrease in comfort level (stock springs now). How many percent less 'comfortable' would it be?

Do you have any experience using H&R Springs and advice for me?

Many thanks!

Sharm

Re: Lowering car with H&R springs - comfort concern

Thinkbig;670296 said:
Hi friends

Thinking of lowering my e90 320i with H&R Springs (costs about $700+). Am very concerned about the decrease in comfort level (stock springs now). How many percent less 'comfortable' would it be?

Many thanks!

Sharm

Hi Sharm,

if you worried about the comfort level the best thing is not to do anything to it, stay stock..........my experience is that it will be more bouncy (lowering spring with stock suspension)

cheers

lowering springs is shit... makes ur car bouncy... decrease lifespan of shocks... and make ur ride feels weird without any added benefits to handling...

its either coilovers or nothing... get V3 or street comfort

Terry;670304 said:
lowering springs is shit... makes ur car bouncy... decrease lifespan of shocks... and make ur ride feels weird without any added benefits to handling...

its either coilovers or nothing... get V3 or street comfort

I am on lowering springs and stock shocks and I dun find it bouncy.

One man's meat is another man's poison. You cannot generalise and say lowering springs is shit or that it decreases life span of the shocks. My stock shocks were only changed recently after 4 years with the lowering springs, and even that my mechanic says my shocks were still ok although I insisted to change since more than 60% worn out, including bushings.

And who says it does not improve handling? Once on lowering springs, and I mean those reputable brand ones, the car immediately feels and handles MUCH better than stock.

Granted coilovers are better and adjustable to comfort level, but this costs much more and for those on a budget and for those who do not want the harsher ride feel of coilovers DO have an alternative, and that is Lowering springs.

Your opinions are biased becasuse you prefer coilovers over lowering springs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Threadstarter - if your concern is comfort and yet you wanna drop your ride, lowering springs + stock shocks might not be a bad idea.

I think the coilover advice is based on improved handling characteristics of the car, which might or might not be your priority. Good to profile yourself if you do indeed drive and corner like a F1 driver, or just a point-A-point-B driver who wanna slam the car low.

IMHO, personally i find my F10 523 ride too soft. I know its for comfort but i feel it shld be 30% firmer as its a conti car.

So i'm doing H&R springs with stock shocks next week. H&R springs give a firmer ride, generally.

Eibach springs are good too and are used by many car mfrs for their OEM products BUT i understand they are a bit softer than H&R.

Changing to a good set of coilovers like KW is also a good option but its a bit too hardcore for me.

There's no right or wrong here.... just do it and learn as you go along! Happy motoring!

chriz;670492 said:
IMHO, personally i find my F10 523 ride too soft. I know its for comfort but i feel it shld be 30% firmer as its a conti car.

So i'm doing H&R springs with stock shocks next week. H&R springs give a firmer ride, generally.

Eibach springs are good too and are used by many car mfrs for their OEM products BUT i understand they are a bit softer than H&R.

Changing to a good set of coilovers like KW is also a good option but its a bit too hardcore for me.

There's no right or wrong here.... just do it and learn as you go along! Happy motoring!

Hi Chriz,

agreed with your point and i think end of the day different driver/owner will have a very different view of comfy level........will be good if potential owner can taxi ride or drive it from fellow members ride before decide will be great.........(if it happen, dun flame me)

cheers

Thaank you guys for the advice.

My experience with my last ride (integra, FL) was that it gave the car a low look and there was not much bouncing. Am enquiring to ask if the brand is okay for its firmness.

Kenntona, I'm a PT A to B driver most of the time:) sometimes I drive fast at the corners tho.

Chriz, could you please update me if the H&R springs are hard enough ya?

Hi Chriz

So how's yr ride after fixing up the HR.
Am think on putting it on my F10 also.
How much lower you got 2inch.
Cheers

I say PSS10 or SC. Shorter springs with stock dampers not good combo for ride comfort, too bouncy. Need the damper to match the spring rate.

I own a one-year old E90. I changed from stock to H&R Sport Springs last month. It was money well spent. The car definitely feels more planted in the corners. Road bumps are more perceivable though. However, I track motorbikes so I might be more sensitive to such changes. My girlfriend probably wouldn't have noticed the change in ride quality if I did not point out to her that I changed the springs. I wouldn't say the ride is more uncomfortable. It is just more firm overall which does not really translate to uncomfortable. It's a matter of getting used to it. It is not bouncy. Bouncy is the kind of feeling you get in some taxis. You will probably feel it most when you go over humps as the suspension bottoms out sometimes but that is normal for any lowered car. You just have to take the humps slower. The cosmetic effect alone is worth the money. The fact that the car handles better overall is a great bonus. If you can afford or don't mind paying more for coilovers, go for them. But if you are on a budget, the H&R Springs are a great mod. I never regretted :)

How are lower springs or even coil overs when compared to the m sports suspension?

Thinkbig;670296 said:
Hi friends

Many thanks!

Sharm

Comfort not much loss if u just change the springs, prob 20%? When I done that for my S4, its like Auto becoming Dynamic suspension.

H&R stuff are one of the best bang for buck stuff, but I dun like using them for local roads or NSHW, kinda too hard, likewise for the ARBs. Done that and I revert back to oem and upgraded using RS parts tho.

I'll take a cue from the M Parts instead, they're properly researched for. The other springs r like with TUV, yes. But they're made for the masses :lol:

If u r into track, coilover is a plus point along with the brakes :inlove:

Just installed H&R Sports lower spring 2 weeks ago, like stock and not up to my expectation because too comfort.

hi all,

I'm a new member here and if ok I wanna share my e46 which just been installed H&R lowering kit *red colored spring* combined with bilstein *black* shock. For me, the ride is still comfortable. Once the front n rear strutbar arrive and install, I'm planning to give a try out on near by circuit *Sentul circuit, West Java*

Gonna share the experience soon :D

Seraphblade;782412 said:
How are lower springs or even coil overs when compared to the m sports suspension?

I'm on pre-Lci M Sports suspension but on a E93 335i. Frankly, the M Sports suspension is perfect blend of comfort and performance 80% of the time.... The last 20% - when on undulating surfaces, the suspension craps out.... squats till I scared hit bottom, then rear jumps out... scares the crap out of me...

Don't know if my m sports shocks are gone or what... anyway changed the shocks to Koni FSD and realized that the stock M SPorts springs are indeed soft for sports springs... Now also thinking of changing to H&R springs...

If you are looking for comfort - try the Koni FSD, very comfy but takes some getting use to.. it just absorbs bumps so well that u think it's soft BUT does stiffen up when u need it to... but not to the extend of koni sports shocks.. pricey shocks though...

I know there are folks who complained the M Sports suspension is too stiff, so I don't know if the pre-LCI ones are softer than the LCI ones or not.... or maybe the E93 with its extra weight makes it more comfy ??

HI guys I just bought 4 used h&r lowering springs, that were advertised to lower my car by 1.75 inch in front, and 1.5 in back.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jiyana13
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back