MAS Imposes Financing Restrictions on Motor Vehicle Loans

Re: MAS Imposes Financing Restrictions on Motor Vehicle Loans

Shev;962677 said:
Who cares! Immediately run to show room and change car before they change policy again....

Wow.
Thats fast!

Will there be a lot of coe cars on the roads in 2-3 years time? Since coe expected to plunge and many find it difficult to meet 50% down.

May be not, cat b buyer may turn to cat a end up cat a coe still high.

aceivan;962683 said:
Wow.
Thats fast!

Really depends on factors like Coe, interest rate at that time... Just trying to highlight unpredictability of garmen nowadays...

Cheers....

Oilman;962637 said:
Moving the discussion forward... if MAS backtracks oops I mean tweaks its rules from 50%/5 years to say 30%/7 years, would policymakers then be:

a) listeners who are adaptable and sympathetic to the people's concerns; or
b) inconsistent flip-floppers who didn't do their homework in the first instance?

One thing I dun understand abt bank, already impose a 50% upfront meaning risk for bank cut down but interest up to 3.25% :thinking:maybe is becos loan amt too less liao need increase interest rate to earn more!!! :naughty:

nicknick;962713 said:
One thing I dun understand abt bank, already impose a 50% upfront meaning risk for bank cut down but interest up to 3.25% :thinking:maybe is becos loan amt too less liao need increase interest rate to earn more!!! :naughty:

you hit the nail on the right spot. car loan is quite inelastic here so banks can squeeze consumers balls

assuming total loan is $100M ... interest rate set at 1.88%
if loan amount is expected to drop to $50M ... the only way is to up interest rate to 3.25% (up 70%) to make up the lost in revenue

wa power man, 78 pgs....

Radon39;962726 said:
wa power man, 78 pgs....
All quality posts lo

Wah 78 pages so long.. my 2 cents, 5 year loan won't be a problem because you have already paid 50-60% dp. The instalment for a 5 year loan will in fact be lower than what most of us are paying today.. Not sure if this is already mentioned in earlier posts :)

Any idea if this rule applies to pre-owned cars as well? If it does I am guessing the price of 5 year old cars will now shoot up because everyone wants to take advantage of the max 5 year loan rule eh..

invaz;962773 said:
Wah 78 pages so long.. my 2 cents, 5 year loan won't be a problem because you have already paid 50-60% dp. The instalment for a 5 year loan will in fact be lower than what most of us are paying today.. Not sure if this is already mentioned in earlier posts :)

Any idea if this rule applies to pre-owned cars as well? If it does I am guessing the price of 5 year old cars will now shoot up because everyone wants to take advantage of the max 5 year loan rule eh..

There is a good article on today's Straits Times. Christopher Tan, the guy who gives you all the motoring news on Sat Life, wrote about the purpose of the new car curb regulations...that it did not come across clearly the rational of the rules. A good compare of what happen in 1995 did not help to slow down prices of cars nor car population growth. Since the minstar explain that it is to control financial prudence, it did not explain if the measures implemented will be applied consistently across since some of the leasing companies or Car manufacturing firms can still offer loan schemes without adhering to MAS ruling. So how will that be effective? Good read.

Solidgold;962811 said:
There is a good article on today's Straits Times. Christopher Tan, the guy who gives you all the motoring news on Sat Life, wrote about the purpose of the new car curb regulations...that it did not come across clearly the rational of the rules. A good compare of what happen in 1995 did not help to slow down prices of cars nor car population growth. Since the minstar explain that it is to control financial prudence, it did not explain if the measures implemented will be applied consistently across since some of the leasing companies or Car manufacturing firms can still offer loan schemes without adhering to MAS ruling. So how will that be effective? Good read.

According to MAS, they are looking into implementing across Moneylenders Association as well...

One thing for sure. Maybe we will not see ppl changing car every 2-3 yr and its the workshop that will huat ah cos if we dun change car, we will mod n maintain n tune. So workshop for servicing, grooming companies n tuning house will huat. But the most huat one will be workshop that can provide facelift to bmw ESP lci f10 is on the way. All workshop haut ah........

gonna be longer and longer Q for appt liao
just servicing and repair jiak beh liao in view that bmw past 3-4 years mark and 80k-100k milleage, parts start breaking one after another
huat ah for site sponsor ... hearsay 1 e60 repair cost already $15k

Terras14;962821 said:
One thing for sure. Maybe we will not see ppl changing car every 2-3 yr and its the workshop that will huat ah cos if we dun change car, we will mod n maintain n tune. So workshop for servicing, grooming companies n tuning house will huat. But the most huat one will be workshop that can provide facelift to bmw ESP lci f10 is on the way. All workshop haut ah........

Last edited by a moderator:

the ruling applies to secondhand cars

though i think 40/50% is abit fierce

if the dealers make enough noise, this rule maybe readjusted to 30/40% i feel

lets just stay tuned and watch the next few biddings

coe 100k i cannot buy a new car....
coe $1 i cannot sell my old car....
LPPL

One positive outcome from the new rules: this thread is gonna cross 80 pages any day now :p

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back