Mercedes C-Class or BMW 3-Series?

• Mercedes Benz C-Class

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BMW 3-Series

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Mercedes C-Class or BMW 3-Series?

Suipalucsea;186517 said:
Come on, if that thing had a X on the front instead of the star, you'd swear it was some new domestic-only Toyota. Bland isn't the word for it.
IMHO, I think the S-Class is nice and well-proportioned. A scale down version of it in the form of the new C-Class can't go very wrong...A colleague has seen it in Germany in its physical form. He said he was overwhelmed by the new look and the presence it exudes both stationary and on the move...It will be a refreshing sight on our roads which are crowded with Vios, Corollas, 3-ers, 5-ers, Lancers blah blah...

Based on pictures alone, the C-Class looks bland as some has said. As I have already gotten used to the E90 styling, it gets my vote.

Interior wise, the C Class will definitely be better, lets hope it matches the build quality of the W124 E-Class series. Because with DC rumoured to be selling of Chrysler, it might be stuck with MB and its do or die...

Handling wise, I think Autocar did a comparo between the C Class and the 3 series and they still picked the 3 as their choice.

So its 2 to 1, and the E90 wins by that slight margin. :)

Oh but I am biased on the styling side since I drive the E90 ....

Hot stuff!! Brabus tuning!

7070326.001.mini1L.jpg

Im surprise to see (poll results) that there actually so many MB supporters in a BMW forum! :)

bmw3er;186890 said:
Im surprise to see (poll results) that there actually so many MB supporters in a BMW forum! :)
don't think it's a matter of `supporters' of a marque. I see that many of the people in BMW-SG are true enthusiasts, loving the metal. And the new C is to be loved. It's such a great reinterpretation of 1980 Mercedes in 2007.

Aiya easy lah, just buy both lah. Odd days drive C class, even days drive 3 series. Sunday rest them n take MRT.

althaus;186756 said:
Based on pictures alone, the C-Class looks bland as some has said. As I have already gotten used to the E90 styling, it gets my vote.

Interior wise, the C Class will definitely be better, lets hope it matches the build quality of the W124 E-Class series. Because with DC rumoured to be selling of Chrysler, it might be stuck with MB and its do or die...

Handling wise, I think Autocar did a comparo between the C Class and the 3 series and they still picked the 3 as their choice.

So its 2 to 1, and the E90 wins by that slight margin. :)

Oh but I am biased on the styling side since I drive the E90 ....

you are forgiven.....

i personally think the C class looks like a really well proportioned min-S class
the avantgarde version is really sweet.......it has prescence and looks like it can really put the pressure on the 3 series !

I'M amazed. With 18 votes for the C-Class and 20 for the E90, in a BMW forum where the E90 is the lifeblood of BMW, the C-Class might REALLY make an impact here on the compact exec market.

One key deciding factor is the range of petrol engines. The Kompressor engines are not really ideal for cars of this class.

Looks wise, the new C class is certainly one up from the previous model, arguably looks more imposing than the E90.

In terms of looks, build-quality, and ride refinement (based on mag reviews only), I'd vote for the new Merc C-Class. I would buy this for my 'shrinking' family (with one kid, after another, going overseas), over the E90.

But it has to be the C230 (2.5L V6).
Having owned the old (first) 2L Kompressor model before, I don't think I like the engine's non-linearity and quickly running out of breath at >4,500 rpm.

However, for my own driving pleasure ... re handling, I'd take the BMW, but not necessarily the E90 sedan ... perhaps the 325i Coupe?

If brand name prestige, with a rich(er) history is what people go for, then it has to be the Mercedes Benz, IMHO.

You're right. Merc's implementation of the Eaton was such a damn disaster. It made the engines so unresponsive, agricultural and so unable to work past 4.5K rpm. Any merc now MUST be naturally aspirated. 2.5L V6 and above. Never the twinpulse or the Eaton strap on again.

Merc really had a big part to play in my current distrust for FI.

caySman;190212 said:
Merc really had a big part to play in my current distrust for FI.

Yup, same here.
My first and last FI car was the Merc Kompressor. Since then, I have avoided any form of FI - be it TC or SC.

Came so near to buying SAABs twice, but walked away.
Enticed by VAG's TC/Quattro technology, but again .....

Perhaps one day, when lag, non-linear response, coke laydown, steep efficiency losses in SG's hot weather and long-term reliability issues are completely eradicated ..... but then I may be too old to even drive a TC car anyway. :laughlik:

E83_X3;190364 said:
Yup, same here.
My first and last FI car was the Merc Kompressor. Since then, I have avoided any form of FI - be it TC or SC.

Came so near to buying SAABs twice, but walked away.
Enticed by VAG's TC/Quattro technology, but again .....

Perhaps one day, when lag, non-linear response, coke laydown, steep efficiency losses in SG's hot weather and long-term reliability issues are completely eradicated ..... but then I may be too old to even drive a TC car anyway. :laughlik:
Why bother when there are wonderful NA engines around? Nissan VQ engine on 350Z, BMW 3.0SI 3L I6 engine, Porsche affordable 2.7 and 3.4 engines on 987 platform?

Actually the antilag you want already wonderfully existent on the 335 and the VAG 2L tfsi engines already. They are pretty much lag free, this I have personal experience. BUT the sound really no fun at all.

Sorry, I own up. The 335 sound no good. at least it sound no good on a E92. I never try on E93 with top open before.

if you say I never try hard enough, it is true. So, as some member here can verify, we got a good amateur race driver (is there such a thing?) to drive us around near the Sime and Clementi area backroads at maybe 65% limit, with foot on the accelerator binary mode (lift or pedal to the metal) and STILL the engine sound no good. Yeah, we all got heart attack behind while the SE close his eyes. Luckily the rear seats supportive otherwise we will knock our head everywhere.

BUT the driver loved it. Diehard porker owner, say he will buy it as his family runabout car, no mod, so he can mod his 911 2themax.

But the car is so refined, the engine sound so unfierce, it is more a limo engine than anything else. I tell you, the best application of the 3L I6 twin turbo engine is the BMW 735 for sure.

BUT hold your fire, man. I am not the authority on sound. I actually think that the WRX STI engine sound REALLY GREAT. And also the SL55 AMG engine is probably sweeter than that. So allow me my subjective prejudices.

"Actually... a bit soft leh... "

Which is just fine. I'm tired of driving a car that has to make pedestrians cover their ears just in order to get around some dumb road-hog. The 335 slices up the roads without making you look like a teenager in a WRX. It's a very nice, refined growl.

Suipalucsea;190462 said:
"Actually... a bit soft leh... "

Which is just fine. I'm tired of driving a car that has to make pedestrians cover their ears just in order to get around some dumb road-hog. The 335 slices up the roads without making you look like a teenager in a WRX. It's a very nice, refined growl.

Exactly, sometimes we still want to listen to Black Eye Peas or Linkin Park in our car, esp if u have logic-7 hifi.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lokhung247net
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back