Mercedes C230 Avantgarde

Nightwind

Hi everyone, perhaps this is not the right forum but i am considering giving up my ride and moving to a sedan;- c230 which has a 2.5L V6. However i dont see this model very much on the road. Most C Classes are c180, c200, c250.

It does not even show up in cycle & carriage listed sub-models.

Can anyone share with me their thougfhts and comments on the c230 pls?

Many thanks

Nightwind

Re: Mercedes C230 Avantgarde

Good morning!

How did you chance by this model and why the interest rather than the mainstream models?

=)

Hi i wanted some thing less common with a 2.5l v6 and saw this. The other c classes r so common.

I am concerned about reliability and fuel consumption but any other comments and advice are also most welcomed.

I dont even know if this submodel has been discontinued.

Pls share with me any comments or advice pls. Thks

Last edited by a moderator:

the 2.5 v6 should be a reliable motor. not sure if its the same as the 2.5l v6 in the w211 e230. if it is, then it should be the least of your worries.

This should be discussed in Motoring Life.

Check with PI. If don't have, means don't have.

Thanks, I think its on M272KE engine
C 2302007–20092,496 cc (152 cu in) 24V V6 (M 272 KE 25)204 PS (150 kW; 201 hp)@6100, 245 N·m (181 lb·ft)@2900–5500

Does any one know what the FC is like and why did they discontinue production? It does not seem to be a success amongst drivers so i am kinda worried...

detach8;950372 said:
the 2.5 v6 should be a reliable motor. not sure if its the same as the 2.5l v6 in the w211 e230. if it is, then it should be the least of your worries.

If it's M272 then it's the same engine as the W211 E230 sold in SG.

IIRC look for a the pre-facelift C class it should have the C230 with this engine.

The M272 engine in the 2.5L configuration is not popular in SG due to our road tax. The 200K(ompressor) engine makes up for it by using forced induction (supercharging) to deliver the torque for city driving, hence is a popular model here.

In other countries it is the 280/350 (3.0L/3.5L) configurations that are popular. Similar to Singapore we have the 2.5L N52 for 23i/25i models but other countries get the 3.0L N52 for the 28i/30i models.

Reliability wise like I said it should be the least of your worries. There are other issues with Mercs that annoy people such as electronics, suspensions (airmatic, only found in higher end Mercs), etc. that you need to look out for.

That said, I think the bigger engines (3.0L/3.5L) of M272 have a known balance shaft failure issue. Don't think that has been reported for the smaller 2.5L.

FC is not excellent but decent, you should average 8+km/l given size/weight of the C class. I'm taking this with reference from my parent's W211 E230. My F10 fares abit better in terms of FC but I think the credit goes to the transmission, although the 7g tronic is not too far away.

Compared the BMW 23i/25i engine, it lacks a bit of low end torque, but IMHO it makes up for it in terms of smoothness. NVH is something BMW engines can't beat the Mercs in. Heck, even Audi's inline 4 engines are smoother than BMW's equivalent.

Nightwind;950396 said:
Thanks, I think its on M272KE engine
C 2302007–20092,496 cc (152 cu in) 24V V6 (M 272 KE 25)204 PS (150 kW; 201 hp)@6100, 245 N·m (181 lb·ft)@2900–5500

Does any one know what the FC is like and why did they discontinue production? It does not seem to be a success amongst drivers so i am kinda worried...
It is discontinue in the same way that all BMW strawberry IL6 was. On this island, the only popular model will be 1.6L TURBO with C class body. For NA, why would u worry about its reliability? In addition, any 6 potter will have lower fuel efficiency as compared to equivalent 4 potter.

Thanks, on the FC will it be better than the e92 325i which has il6 2.5L....versus 2.5L V6?

How would the two compare in terms of FC and performance?

Many thanks for your help

davidtch;950408 said:
It is discontinue in the same way that all BMW strawberry IL6 was. On this island, the only popular model will be 1.6L TURBO with C class body. For NA, why would u worry about its reliability? In addition, any 6 potter will have lower fuel efficiency as compared to equivalent 4 potter.

If the C230 has 7G tronic likely that will get better FC than the old E90 325i with a 6 speed. A lot of it depends on the gearbox.

Thank you so much detach8 for your comments which are very very usefull and educational. I was actually looking at this model ; Used Mercedes-Benz C230 Car for Sale in Singapore, Shuang Hup Credit - sgCarMart

But after reading your comments i am having second thoughts and i may go fer a c250 or c200 instead.

Back to the drawing board.....:( but once again the above was an excellent writeup and thank you for taking the time and effort.

detach8;950403 said:
My F10 fares abit better in terms of FC but I think the credit goes to the transmission, although the 7g tronic is not too far away.

Compared the BMW 23i/25i engine, it lacks a bit of low end torque, but IMHO it makes up for it in terms of smoothness. NVH is something BMW engines can't beat the Mercs in. Heck, even Audi's inline 4 engines are smoother than BMW's equivalent.

From your FC comparision, i guess your F10 is IL4 ?
I feel BMW IL6 N52 is on par with M272 for smoothness and definitely beter then Audi IL4.

C230 is indeed rare cos of local road tax issue and it was on indent basis from C&C when it was in production

Nighwind,

From the description, that has the 7G tronic which is a very advanced gearbox for its time (BMW only had 6 speeds back then). Very nicely done up also with AMG bodykit.

Don't think you should avoid the C230 at all. I don't think I painted a bad picture (did I? :p)

It is a good car. IMHO should be more reliable than the Kompressor engines and the smooth ride will go a long way. Once you go to 6 pots, you won't turn back.

Send it for a mechanic check up and find out who is covering that 1 year extended warranty. If it's C&C, why not?

P.S. I know this is a BMW forum so a lot of bros here are going to beat me up for recommending somebody here to get a Merc, but shit I really do like the Merc V6 engines. They are so smooth.

Jason8822;950457 said:
From your FC comparision, i guess your F10 is IL4 ?
I feel BMW IL6 N52 is on par with M272 for smoothness and definitely beter then Audi IL4.

C230 is indeed rare cos of local road tax issue and it was on indent basis from C&C when it was in production

Nope mine is 523i. My parents E230. Both 6 pot. Both 2.5L. Merc has 7G-tronic, BMW has the ZF 8 speed. I get 8.5-9km/l average, my parents doing around 7.5-8+km/l. So about 1km/l less. May also be because of travel pattern (they tend to get stuck in traffic more often)

Give and take, the Merc seems to be doing a little worse than BMW.

BTW, the C200s (2009) are all 1.8L supercharged (Kompressor) engines, I think M271 is the codename. As with all FI engines they require more care, and likely will fare lower in terms of reliability. Although the Merc's Kompressor engine is well known for its reliability, so I am not really sure how it will work out long term.

You can read this thread I found in another forum based on others review of the 200K vs the 240 (V6) engine.

M271 C200 Kompressor vs V6 C240 - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

And also, the C230 apparently got renamed to C250 in 2010. Mercs always do that... they "upgrade" the engine after a facelift, but it's just the same thing tuned a little higher.

Here's the balance shaft issue I was telling you about on the M272 V6 engines. I think they fixed this in 2009.
http://mbworld.org/wiki/images/0/0b/Mercedes_M272_balance_shaft_service_bulletin.pdf

I do not have much knowledge on the Kompressor engines unfortunately, so I cannot comment much. I did Google and found some known issues, such as this:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/gen...271-engine-problems-timing-chain-skipped.html

Hi detach8...no i did not mean to imply you paint a bad pic. On the contrary what you said MADE SENSE. Why go fer a 2.5L V6 and pay more road tax when a c250 gives the same low end torque and is also more fuel efficient.

YOU WERE RIGHT. Yeah the AMG kit is nice too, and i like the twin exhausts but the black rims r awful.....too beng la.

I went to see the car once already and still am not decided. The other possibilities i weigh is Lexus IS250, and Audi A4. Sorry, after 2 BMWs i decided to have a flavour change. And like you i expect to get flamed lol...

I really have no where else to turn to coz in the normal sgcarmart forums few drivers have the same experience and technical background as the folks here in the BMW forums...and i mean nice people like u..:)

hmm...am still very undecided...truth be told if it was not for my wife, i would get that Audi S5 coupe...but thats a pipe dream. My coupe driving days are over....now back to the ugly reality..

Btw do you think that car is over priced? The COE is only $5k, i have not calculated the PARF yet. There is another c230 but its a PI and mileage is 89k km...and i dont quite trust that one although the price is lower at $119k....

Rims can change lah. U can easily sell those black rims or swap with somebody who has stock AMG rims.

Yes in terms of paper value, it's shit. And relatively speaking, the car is damn expensive. Unless they're willing to trade in your car at a good price. For 10K less, you can even buy a E class with higher OMV and proper full AMG bodykit and rims, somemore I think this colour combination is beautiful on the E class:

Used Mercedes-Benz E230 Car for Sale in Singapore, Aeon Credit - sgCarMart

I think C250 is the same engine. Just newer car.
Edit: I am wrong -- the 2010 C250s are 1.8L turbo.

Why don't you drop by Republic Auto? I can recommend you my SE to see if they have C230/250s.

Despite no so city friendly torque curve, i would still choice this car over C250 1.8T. For a family car (especially if you always ferry 4 passenger), why i choose an engine that i need to strain all the time?

Lastly, the depreciation for this car is irresistible.

davidtch;950485 said:
Lastly, the depreciation for this car is irresistible.

Hmm, did I read correctly -- you find it cheap?

The paper only depre for that car is 18+K p.a., not even considering the low COE value.

I think it's crazy expensive, especially if I can get an E class with same engine for 10K less or approx 15K p.a. depre.

detach8;950486 said:
Hmm, did I read correctly -- you find it cheap?

I think it's crazy expensive, especially if I can get an E class with same engine for 10K less.
As compared to the E class u show, it is definitely more ex.

Looking at the mileage, I still find it ok.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tk88vip1com

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back