Missing engine oil

Bimman

Dear Bros,

Can anyone advise on missing engine oil after topping up (1.5 L) abt a month ago till above minimum mark level on dip stick (approx run 1000km), and now it is below tip of minimum mark on dip stick????

Monitored for any abnormal, found no oil leakage on floor & engine compartment can't find any leakage too via naked eyes???

Got the car (E46 3series Ci) about 3 months ago, PML check and all leakage has been rectified outside workshop.

Does any bro here experienced such problems? Is it normal for such car to consume heavy engine oil? can please enlighten me?

It may be an old topic here, but need help on this!

???????
Cheers!

Re: Missing engine oil

Bro, my e46 used to consume 1L engine oil for every 1000km until I change to a thicker oil at R2D. Improves to 1L every 1500km. Went to literally all workshops and no one can diagnose the problem. And no, I didn't drink it.
Of course mine is the extreme case, urs didn't sound so bad.

I suggest u go to R2D as Rod is expert in e46. Let us know ur outcome.

Wah! bro many thanks for your info! can't sleep yesterday man! thought what happened! will take your advise, check out R2D / Rod and keep you posted.

Cheers!

Hi bro C3PO!

Could'nt get hold of Rod till today, understand that he was out of town (got himself roasted and came back).

Anyway was nice to meet him, and mine is the same issue you had before. (same advice given).

Confirmed will be visiting him when due for servicing and also found out that there is some wear and tear issue also need to be remedy.

Many thanks again bro! at least now i know what happened and can be solve with a cheaper way.

Cheers!

Cool bro, enjoy your ride and hopefully u can find out the root of the problem. Keep having to top up engine oil is tiring, though the thicker oil should solve that partially.

Hope to see u there someday!

Thanks Bro! Yeah hopefully i can find out the main problem too??:huhhuh:, but seems like the only way now is to just top up! it is annoying too! Hope to see you there some day too!

Happy CNY bro!
Cheers!

I was driving a friend's E90 318i (6months old) for a few days and I realised that the engine oil level seems to dip after about 4days usage....I find it strange that car drinks engine oil as well as it drank petrol.....Is this common among 3series?

Let me share my recent bad experience with KBS.
I sent my car there for servicing (engine oil, the usual stuffs) few weeks ago and after 3 days I realised that the engine oil is leaking. If I did not notice the oil stain on my front porch, I would never have thought that a professional workshop like KBS could made such a horrible "negligence".
To make things worst, not even a word of apology from the staff after they tightened the engine compartment outlet and topping up the oil.
Now I am not sure if the rattling sound I am experiening from my car engine is a direct contribution as a result of the "professional negligence".

Bro sad to hear about the ordeal you went through, no idea it is related with the rattling sound you are experiencing now??. Indeed they should have QC everthing done before releasing the vehicle back to owner.

Bro C3PO,

Have been pondering on this issue and kept researching to find out the root of this problem (Missing Engine Oil?).

Supposingly we are having the same problem (as told), u know what i'am saying. Should'nt we face some funny feeling during our drive? and some tell tale sign?? (i.e., smoothness of the ride and funny smoke seen via exhaust?), but my ride was smooth, no tell tale sign of funny smoke or whatever???.

Have been doing further research on this issue, and found logical (to me) answer, already got it done (cost below 20 bucks), and is monitoring the effect of it (will tell whelther effective or not in 1000km mark).

Hopefully it will help, be it less topping up before next servicing due (mine service every 10000km), or how much lesser in topping up (also mean less hasle).

Will keep you informed if it works, and all fingers crossed! (800km more to go!).

Cheers!

hi bros out there
my 320 E90 having white smoke and engine oil is missing :errr:
where can i fix it , beside PML

hi i just encounter the same problem as you recently in my E90 320 reg 2005

oil leakage due to worn out valves and gasket
when engine is hot the leaked oil is heated up and produced the smoke

i went to the site sponsor workshop and got it replaced
took 2 days total cost of changing all the valves, gasket , engine oil, plus others about $1.2K

thanks cagelee

mine also a 2005 reg 320
may i know which sponsor workshop you went to?
thanks

i'm also driving a 2005 320. I've been going to R2D ever since my warranty ran out. I haven't experienced your problem but Rod is very experienced with our engine.

I had this prob on my e30 and e36..added stp additive for engine oil and it did the job..thicker oil wld do too..suprisingly, my e46 is ok (for now..hopefully)

Can share which valve cause the oil leakage?? So far the leakage normally due to the valve cover gasket and the oil pan gasket and maybe O rings used in many sensors, pulse generators and oil piping connection...

cagelee;543103 said:
hi i just encounter the same problem as you recently in my E90 320 reg 2005

oil leakage due to worn out valves and gasket
when engine is hot the leaked oil is heated up and produced the smoke

i went to the site sponsor workshop and got it replaced
took 2 days total cost of changing all the valves, gasket , engine oil, plus others about $1.2K

zorro;543561 said:
Can share which valve cause the oil leakage?? So far the leakage normally due to the valve cover gasket and the oil pan gasket and maybe O rings used in many sensors, pulse generators and oil piping connection...

actually i dont know which one ! i rem seeing some valves listed in the receipt as items replaced

that is all

cagelee;543760 said:
actually i dont know which one ! i rem seeing some valves listed in the receipt as items replaced

that is all

could it be breather valve ?

maybe its the vacuum pump and the end of the engine block

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ww88atcom
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups