Missing engine oil

Re: Missing engine oil

Hi guys,

There are differences in the way in which the engine loses oil. In robot's case, he was consuming oil through weak valve seals that lets a small bit of oil through the valve stem. This either burns inthe combustion chamber or in the exhaust gasses. You can check this out from your exhaust pipe where there is slightly oily black soot.

The other common problem is oil leaking out of the engine. for the N42/N46 engines. The engine normally leaks oil at the following places:
1. Vacuum pump
2. Engine cover gasket
3. Vanos actuator seals
4. Oil filter/cooler housing
5. Dip stick pipe

As for coolant leaks, the water pump is also a culprit along with a plastic seal at the back of the cylinder head.

When the vacuum pump seal and coolant seal at the back of the cylinder head leaks, it drips onto the hot catalytic converter and causes a stink and smoke in engine bay. You will normally see this after 5mins of starting the engine in the morning where the 3-4 drops of oil and coolant that leaked overnight cooks off on the cat. when you jack up the car, you will see white streaks over the cat.

To repair the valve seals, its costly cos the cylinder head needs to come off. As for the rest of the seals, its not that bad.

cheers

Good info,,,I think my car has little oil leak at oil sump/pan detected during oil change but since i need to change that, I thought of changing every mother fu#$#@#$ O rings available in my engine as well as the valve cover rubber gasket... You think it make sense and how much would it cost and how long it takes for the job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Engine oil leaking at that rate is not normal. Especially 1litre/1000km. What is your service interval change? 25,000km or 12,000km? Is your vehicle still under warranty?

I did a Top Overhaul back in June2010 , yet still need to top up engine oil
but no more white smoke
and now my Radiator Fan always run at the high speed ,, very loud
:verysad:

I trust the top overhaul must have cost you a lot. Does your top overhaul required changes to the piston rings or any other engine components? I am currently having this same problem and PML is not giving me very credible response. Their best option is for me to replace my engine (approximately 13K before discount). What a big joke. After spending almost 5K replacing the gaskets earlier. I am going to pursue this matter till the end.

bros vishjo

i really dont know what they have changed
i spent around 2.5K
not by PML
is yr car still under warranty by PML ?
PML charge you 5K for gaskets ? :shock:

My car is no longer warranty by PML. It was purchased in 2004 (the last batches) with a warranty period of 3yrs or 100,000km whichever come first. The service interval change was 25,000km and is still on this interval. I understand that since 2007, the service interval change was reduced to 12,000km. I was not informed of such reduction and thus pursuing with PML the rational behind this changes. I read from some article that 25,000km change is not suitable for singapore condition in the first place. Until now, they are not willing to review more and beating around the bush. To be exact, the 5k include servicing and shock absorber change. If the service and gasket changes, including labour, 4k.. :mad:

taizi_dominic;543210 said:
I had this prob on my e30 and e36..added stp additive for engine oil and it did the job..thicker oil wld do too..suprisingly, my e46 is ok (for now..hopefully)

Bro, you quite daring to add additive to the engine. I remember in the BMW manual that no additive should be added. But I am also facing engine leak problem, tempted to add the STP additive. Is there any other bros out here who added additive to their BMW engine?

samler;614636 said:
I did a Top Overhaul back in June2010 , yet still need to top up engine oil
but no more white smoke
and now my Radiator Fan always run at the high speed ,, very loud
:verysad:

Hi Samler,

Just checking, how did you cure the fan problem?

My previous ride has this problem as well, changed it twice, but can't seems to fix it.

Once at PML and the other at outside work shop...

henry

My friend's E90 used to have the high engine oil consumption too, gonna top up every 5days... Went to one of the Sponsor's workshop here(apparently quite reputable and popular) and changed many parts, spent about 5k and problem not solved. And the workshop at last said to change the engine is the best solution :mad: After that he went to an old timer mechanic to let him take a look, all the mechanic did was he change the engine oil to W50 oil(thicker)... The problem solved... The drive maybe a bit rougher and no high rpm drive... till today the engine is still good to go... not the best solution but definitely one of the cheapest :)

Hey, I am having this problem of having to top up oil every 2 weeks or so.... the sponsor workshop yesterday suggested leaving the car with him for a day or 2 to check the oil separator or filter. Otherwise, he said it would be wear and tear of the engine... and really, the fuel efficiency is terrible for my E90, about 9km/L!

Iken;626461 said:
Hey, I am having this problem of having to top up oil every 2 weeks or so.... the sponsor workshop yesterday suggested leaving the car with him for a day or 2 to check the oil separator or filter. Otherwise, he said it would be wear and tear of the engine... and really, the fuel efficiency is terrible for my E90, about 9km/L!
What is good fuel efficiency for E90?

On my E39 520, my usual FC is around 7km/L. I can achieve 10+km/L on NSH.

i think is good liao.. me is getting 8.5km per litre.
if heng is 9km per litre.

Iken;626461 said:

E90 which variant? 320?

quick question on 1L top up

1. can mix and match ? ie: the current oil is castrol serviced by pml. can top up 1L with mobil/helix/etc that you can get from petrol station

2. forgot the viscosity. what is the safe viscosity to top up ? ie: 5W30, 5W40, etc ?

thanks !

wt_know;626695 said:
quick question on 1L top up

1. can mix and match ? ie: the current oil is castrol serviced by pml. can top up 1L with mobil/helix/etc that you can get from petrol station

2. forgot the viscosity. what is the safe viscosity to top up ? ie: 5W30, 5W40, etc ?

thanks !

if ur gonna mix, mix it at least with the same rating, e.g. Castrol 5W40 and Mobil 5W40. Not ideal though to mix.

If going by the manual, it shld be 30 weighted oil, mileage dependant.

ok. just called pml parts dept. castrol 1L 0W-40 @ $40

Wh0cArEs;626796 said:
if ur gonna mix, mix it at least with the same rating, e.g. Castrol 5W40 and Mobil 5W40. Not ideal though to mix.

If going by the manual, it shld be 30 weighted oil, mileage dependant.

Dont be a carrot... go to Eng Soon or host of spare-parts shop in sin ming selling Castrol oil. $40/litre is ridiculous.

wt_know;626815 said:
ok. just called pml parts dept. castrol 1L 0W-40 @ $40

over the phone, i said, can you repeat the price :lol:
he said, we can pour in the oil for you. i guess there is a premium to pay like $10 for washer fluid top up.

zorro;626820 said:
Dont be a carrot... go to Eng Soon or host of spare-parts shop in sin ming selling Castrol oil. $40/litre is ridiculous.

:thumbsup:
wt_know;626825 said:
over the phone, i said, can you repeat the price :lol:
he said, we can pour in the oil for you. i guess there is a premium to pay like $10 for washer fluid top up.

luxury marque ma

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OneTab
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back