Mobil 1 Engine Oil: Best place to purchase?

Re: Mobil 1 Engine Oil: Best place to purchase?

dsdfan;416198 said:
Is their Castrol oil as good as Mobil 1?

if the castrol SLX oil PML uses is the same as the german made Castrol Syntec 0W-30 in the US market, it's should be a v good oil.

My last bill states the oil as Formula SLX. maybe someone can get more details from PML next time.

Hi,

How much does it cost for the servicing now since you brought your own oil?

My servicing is coming up fast and thinking of bringing my own oil.

Cheers
PML Charges ~ $30 per litre
my ride needs 8L. Hence Oil itself will cost $240

i bring my own oil.... cost me $120

Hence savings is approx $15 per litre of oil. depends on which oil u get of course

[PML Oil change labour ~$55 + oil filter + GST]

vd383;416442 said:
PML Charges ~ $30 per litre
my ride needs 8L. Hence Oil itself will cost $240

i bring my own oil.... cost me $120

Hence savings is approx $15 per litre of oil. depends on which oil u get of course

[PML Oil change labour ~$55 + oil filter + GST]

So are we allowed to bring our own oil to PML for servicing? Some people say can, some say no...I am lost!

Can someone confirm?

eng98;416453 said:
So are we allowed to bring our own oil to PML for servicing? Some people say can, some say no...I am lost!

Can someone confirm?

Can bring own oil la. They will charge you for labour.

On the service report, they will also write "bring own oil" so in case your oil screws up your engine, pml won't be liable.

Alan Tan;416338 said:
Just another point on the engine oil top-up prompt. I was also told that if we rev our engine often at 3.5K and above, the engine will "eat up" engine oil at a greater rate such that we will have to top up. Otherwise in the "normal" operating rpm (between 2K n 3K), the rate of "eating" is rather small. It's just a general observation from my friend.

Also learned today that, in addition to how high you rev the engine, the service indicator will keep score of how many times you start the engine.

Start the engine too many times, it will send you for early servicing!

eng98;416453 said:

Can someone confirm?

Yesterday, Official Service Engineer at Sime Darby told me very firmly, "NO, your'e NOT allowed to bring your own engine oil for service. Must use their OFFICIAL oil."

Today, I called up Alexander and the service engineer says, "Yes, allowed to bring your personal Engine Oil for service. Just pay $90 for labour, oil filter & check.

I don't think Sime Darby and Alexander follow different rules, so I'll bring my own Mobil 1.

Heard from an established workshop today that the cheaper Mobil 1 sold at Giant, Carrefour etc. is a different formula (different addivities etc.) from the Mobil 1 sold at their workshop and at ESSO/Mobil stations and for $110 per 4L.

In general there isn't any workshop including that of those from authorized agents who will refuse you for bringing your own engine oil. They just get very upset for losing the profit that could have been earned from selling their own internal brands. And so that's where the surcharge comes in. Besides this, workshops may have a quota amount to sell/push so as to enjoy some form sponsorship such as the vehicle-lifter or some diagnostic PC/equipment.

Read here on Mobil 1.....
Group 3 Base Oils

They bo chi to confirm whether their oil is pure synthetic or not..... Oil has 5 Groups.
Group 1 and 2 generally considered Dino Oil (mineral type lah)
Group 3 is hydrocracked (mineral refined until they call synthetic)
Group 4 is PAO base stock (real synthetic)
Group 5 is Ester base stock (real synthetic)

Here is an extract from wikipedia (search Synthetic Oil):

Hydrocracked/Hydroisomerized = API Group III base oils. Chevron, Shell, and other petrochemical companies developed processes involving catalytic conversion of feed stocks under pressure in the presence of hydrogen into high quality mineral lubricating oil. In 2005 production of GTL (Gas-to-liquid) Group III base stocks began. Even they are considered as synthetic product they are still mineral base stocks and counted as the mineral part of all semi-synthetic lubricants. Group III base stocks [with certain amount of mixture of PAOs and esters and Group V] are considered synthetic motor oil ONLY in the United States.[citation needed] Group III based lubricants are not allowed to be marketed as "synthetic" in any market outside of the USA.

In USA there was a suit sometime back and then the courts allow Group III oil to be labelled as synthetic :screwedu:

My personal preference is to buy real sythetic oil (i.e. Group IV or V base stock) :)

dsdfan;416543 said:
Yesterday, Official Service Engineer at Sime Darby told me very firmly, "NO, your'e NOT allowed to bring your own engine oil for service. Must use their OFFICIAL oil."

Today, I called up Alexander and the service engineer says, "Yes, allowed to bring your personal Engine Oil for service. Just pay $90 for labour, oil filter & check.

I don't think Sime Darby and Alexander follow different rules, so I'll bring my own Mobil 1.

Your only worry is that something happens to ur engine *touch wood* and PML tell u i might be due to lousy engine oil u brought and ur warranty is now void. can't fault them for that.

when u call PML over the phone, sometimes u kena staff that talk rubbish. Yes, u can bring ur own oil. If you going K. Arang, ask for CSA Ram. He's a good guy, told me it's an accepted practice. but better expect them putting on record that u brought ur own oil. fair enough. But ask them to note it's BMW LL-01 approved.

dsdfan;416543 said:
Heard from an established workshop today that the cheaper Mobil 1 sold at Giant, Carrefour etc. is a different formula (different addivities etc.) from the Mobil 1 sold at their workshop and at ESSO/Mobil stations and for $110 per 4L.

i think that might be the same established workshop who insisted my engine need 7litres of oil, and charged me $27/L hor. But magically, when i bring my own BMW oil, they return me half litre. :juggle: Their mechanic told me the same oil story you heard. I don't really pay much attention to his advice liao. (esp after another one of their guys told me brake squeal is NORMAL. I thought maybe I drove to PML by mistake - except PML not that full of BS these days)

Only concern on parallel imported oil, is there are no official avenues for recalls etc so if the oil got problem, good luck to us. And that it goes by US specs (where it is legal to call grp III base oil synthetic), sekali they use diff base for diff mkts. these unknowns are def trade offs to the cheap price.

BUT i don't think local chains like giant and carrefour sell PI'd oil. just check the packaging. if it's in litres, can't be meant for US market. and if it says 0W-40 SAE, and got the BMW LL-01 label, should be fine. that is the only spec by Mobil 1 that has BMW Longlife oil approval. so if u wanna be careful, buy from them during those cheap sales.

actually, engine oil in the states is much cheaper. dunno why sell here only, price jump up.

i'm bringing my own oil for my next visit cos I didnt like their castrol - not at all! only silky smooth for the 1st month and since I only change oil once a year it better be 1 in that Group 5 category.

Hey Alan Tan, may I know how many litre of engine oil do u need for E60 525 pls ?

Thx :)

Violin;420885 said:
Hey Alan Tan, may I know how many litre of engine oil do u need for E60 525 pls ?

Thx :)

I used up 7 quart bottles of oil, and this is including the oil filter change. Buy one more extra quart and keep it in your boot.

Deadkookaburra;416729 said:
i'm bringing my own oil for my next visit cos I didnt like their castrol - not at all! only silky smooth for the 1st month and since I only change oil once a year it better be 1 in that Group 5 category.

Motul? too bad MX doesn't seem to carry Motul 8100 X-MAX... can't seem to find a good Motul range anywhere. I'm keen to try it.

K Thx. Do i really hv to top up engine oil myself ? Weird, cos when i was driving my previous car, i hv never top up engine oil b4. It's usually done be the workshop when i send in for servicing. I am not sure if i know where to top up if needed rofl ;p

Alan Tan;420950 said:
I used up 7 quart bottles of oil, and this is including the oil filter change. Buy one more extra quart and keep it in your boot.

Violin;420989 said:
K Thx. Do i really hv to top up engine oil myself ? Weird, cos when i was driving my previous car, i hv never top up engine oil b4. It's usually done be the workshop when i send in for servicing. I am not sure if i know where to top up if needed rofl ;p

Unfortunately YES! Our rides have this tendency of "eating" up engine oil. This is almost unheard of in Jap cars and I must say it's a first for me too. In fact, your car manual has a dedicated sub-chapter just to address this issue of engine oil topping up. I have already topped up once... It is quite easy to top up. Pop the hood, you will see the apparent engine oil filler cap, open it up and down one bottle of engine oil. Just make sure that you do it only like 2 hrs after you ceased your engine, so that it's not too hot... I think this warning is very well discussed in this forum too...

Err i wasn't driving a Jap car ;p But since this is normal for BMW, I will ensure i hv a bottle of engine oil in my car then, Thx for the advice :)

Alan Tan;421042 said:
Unfortunately YES! Our rides have this tendency of "eating" up engine oil. This is almost unheard of in Jap cars and I must say it's a first for me too. In fact, your car manual has a dedicated sub-chapter just to address this issue of engine oil topping up. I have already topped up once... It is quite easy to top up. Pop the hood, you will see the apparent engine oil filler cap, open it up and down one bottle of engine oil. Just make sure that you do it only like 2 hrs after you ceased your engine, so that it's not too hot... I think this warning is very well discussed in this forum too...

Think he was just saying based on his experience with Jap cars previously, not commenting on your own ride history.

Hi,

Went for oil change at PML with my own engine oil 5W-40 rating. After the oil change, I feel that the car is much more sluggish and petrol comsumption went up.... before the oil change, I am getting high 8plus km/L to 9 km/l. Now the consumption is like 7+km/L. Driving pattern did not change. Like mentioned before, I can feel that the car is less responsive.

Am i using the right viscosity for the oil? What should I do?

eng98;422731 said:
Hi,

Went for oil change at PML with my own engine oil 5W-40 rating. After the oil change, I feel that the car is much more sluggish and petrol comsumption went up.... before the oil change, I am getting high 8plus km/L to 9 km/l. Now the consumption is like 7+km/L. Driving pattern did not change. Like mentioned before, I can feel that the car is less responsive.

Am i using the right viscosity for the oil? What should I do?

The viscosity appeared to be right. I am using Mobil 0W40 LL01 myself. Did you have any SW change? I can't say for sure what could be a problem. Usually the car is very smooth after an engine oil change... Prehaps continue to monitor for two tanks.

I did complain about the jerkness of gear changing, especially when the car is on low gear and moving slowly. I was told that they updated the SW for the gear box.

Maybe that is the cause? Anyway the SW update did not help the jerkiness. I was wondering how it will help. I always thought that they should replace the gear box oil.

Have been monitoring for about 2 weeks already...maybe should bring it in again....?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luck8bot
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back