Mobil 1 Engine Oil: Best place to purchase?

Re: Mobil 1 Engine Oil: Best place to purchase?

I really can't say for sure to be frank. It's just that some of the folks had similar experience like you. They sent in their car, changed engine oil, changed SW, then later remarked that their FC has worsen, or acceleration is not enthusiastic at all etc. Sorry I can't advice anymore than this. If it doesn't improve, then the next best alternative will be to let them check again. Good luck...

I think Eng98 is saying that after using the 5W40 engine oil that he brought for the service, he experienced sluggish performance and increased fuel consumption.

This might be compared to the original 0w40 oil that used by PML

Alan Tan;422733 said:
The viscosity appeared to be right. I am using Mobil 0W40 LL01 myself. Did you have any SW change? I can't say for sure what could be a problem. Usually the car is very smooth after an engine oil change... Prehaps continue to monitor for two tanks.

dsdfan;422962 said:
I think Eng98 is saying that after using the 5W40 engine oil that he brought for the service, he experienced sluggish performance and increased fuel consumption.

This might be compared to the original 0w40 oil that used by PML

Yeah, but i wanted to confirm that I am using the correct viscosityo of oil too. Since PML also using a W40 grade oil, it seems like I am ok too.

I just feel that something else must have been done to the car to make it sluggish.

And very disappointed with PML, they did not attempt to solve the jerking gear change properly. No testing to make sure that the problem was gone.

When i collected the car, the jerking was still there. Sometimes I feel that they are just going thru the motion. Updating the software and assume the problem is gone. They should at least check it. And I feel maybe they should change the transmission oil to get rid of the jerking.

Anyway back to the oil consumption, I feel that maybe they had reset the entire software of the car somehow.

Back to PML again,and again...had been there for many times, and not all issues (aircon ticking, etc) were able to be solved completely. Sigh

My sales engineer advised that, being thicker, 5W40 gives slightly reduced performance over 0w40. But he mentioned that 5w40 does not evaporate as fast as 0w40, so you won't need to top up as often.

But i doubt changing from 0w40 to 5w40 can make a car that much more sluggish, especially if it is brand new oil.

PML complained and made a big fuss just because i brought in Mobil 1 0w40 for my last service (bought from Mobil station, not parallel imported) . The Service engineer warned that PML would not be responsible for reduced performance, even though Mobil 1 is officially BMW approved!!!! It is also 0w40 like their workshop Castrol oil.

Hope PML is not blaming the decrease in performance on the 5w40 oil you brought in, and say it is because you did not use their workshop oil. If yours is BMW approved, then you have a case.

Hopefully, If you bring the car in again, they will solve the major problems.

eng98;422990 said:
Yeah, but i wanted to confirm that I am using the correct viscosityo of oil too. Since PML also using a W40 grade oil, it seems like I am ok too.

I just feel that something else must have been done to the car to make it sluggish.

And very disappointed with PML, they did not attempt to solve the jerking gear change properly. No testing to make sure that the problem was gone.

When i collected the car, the jerking was still there. Sometimes I feel that they are just going thru the motion. Updating the software and assume the problem is gone. They should at least check it. And I feel maybe they should change the transmission oil to get rid of the jerking.

Anyway back to the oil consumption, I feel that maybe they had reset the entire software of the car somehow.

Back to PML again,and again...had been there for many times, and not all issues (aircon ticking, etc) were able to be solved completely. Sigh

eng98;422990 said:

What oil did u bring exactly? If ur car is under warranty and you wanted to bring a new oil in, i'd be more careful and bring only BMW approved oil. Just cos otherwise, giving PML reason to question your oil mah.

dsdfan;423013 said:
My sales engineer advised that, being thicker, 5W40 gives slightly reduced performance over 0w40.
ur Service Advisor is right in a way, the oil is thicker WHEN COLD. once at operating temps, it should be within range of a 40 oil.

dsdfan;423013 said:
PML complained and made a big fuss just because i brought in Mobil 1 0w40 for my last service (bought from Mobil station, not parallel imported) . The Service engineer warned that PML would not be responsible for reduced performance, even though Mobil 1 is officially BMW approved!!!! It is also 0w40 like their workshop Castrol oil.
PML oil is 0W30. who told u it's 0W40? my SA also told me that, i corrected him when i saw my bill and it said Castrol SLX. Then he backtracked.

dsdfan;423013 said:
Hope PML is not blaming the decrease in performance on the 5w40 oil you brought in, and say it is because you did not use their workshop oil. If yours is BMW approved, then you have a case.
but there are ppl who have reported sluggish response cos of the different oils they use. And even within the weight band, different oils have different properties. eg: castrol 0W-30 is said to be on the heavier side (leaning to 40 weight) whilst mobil 1 0W-40 is on the thinner side (leaning to 30W). Both are BMW approved. So far, Mobil 1 0W-40 is the only 40 weight oil i've seen approved by BMW.

motorknut;423031 said:
PML oil is 0W30. who told u it's 0W40? my SA also told me that, i corrected him when i saw my bill and it said Castrol SLX. Then he backtracked.

The 1L bottle of original BMW Brand long life oil my sales engineer used to top up my engine states: "0W40". This is the official oil sold by PML's parts shop.

I assumed the workshop would use the same oil. Never imagined the workshop would use a different grade of oil: 0w30.

Am I right that Castrol SLX 0w30 should perform as well or better than Mobil 1 0w40? thanks

dsdfan;423057 said:
Am I right that Castrol SLX 0w30 should perform as well or better than Mobil 1 0w40? thanks

Both are good. Its your Oil Change Interval (OCI) that is important. If you use either one for 30,000km before changing, then the risk of sludge formation will be high. IMHO, 10,000km is a good OCI because km travel does equal to engine running time. (Think of all the traffic jams you have been in, etc.).

Get any quality syn oil (not necessary to be BMW approved longlife-01 oil) and keep a resonable OCI and you will be okay.

Is it a MUST to use Mobil 1 oil at PML workshop, esp for new cars?
Reason I ask is bcoz I can get half price for SPC oil....tats hell lot of savings:yummie:

motorknut;423546 said:
thanks for that. a couple of names absent from the lists i've read previously. i'm q interested to try that Motul stuff...

You are welcome.... I have been reading up on Lubricants for a long time..... :) :yummie:
Motul... I've tried their gearbox oil in my last ride but not in my E90. But general feedback from friends are the gearbox oil is good.

Their 300V Double Ester is really expensive but I think they have a cheaper range... can't remember the name off-hand.

Luboil;423680 said:
Is it a MUST to use Mobil 1 oil at PML workshop, esp for new cars?
Reason I ask is bcoz I can get half price for SPC oil....tats hell lot of savings:yummie:

Why Mobil 1? I had the impression that PML uses Castrol.
1/2 price for SPC?! :yummie: Which grade? Where? Lobang?

Went to PML for oil change. Ask how much they charge for oil, reply - $29/litres but can allow to use own oil. Called MX, they charged $13.50 for Mobil 1 0w40 but office only opens after 5:30pm. Went down to Eng Soon and bought original BMW 0W40 LL-04 at $18/litre....saved about $33. The CSA told me they do not flush the engine during oil change, only drain and top up. Asked them to flush and pay extra around $80 (flush+oil). Also, bought brake pad and sensor from ES at $160+50(labor BVO), total change is $210, PML charges $400. FYI.

What's the diff btw BMW LL-01 and BMW LL-04? If the latter is the latest specs then does it mean we shld only get those with tat stamp?

Anyone has any feedback on Amsoil 0W30 and whether it's better than Mobil 1 0W40 for 320 4-potters? Heard it's pretty smooth...

PML quoted me $55 for labour and $20 to replace the oil filter if i bring my own engine oil. And if I need them to wash my car, additional $10. Btw is flush really necessary for new car ?

320i;425109 said:
Went to PML for oil change. Ask how much they charge for oil, reply - $29/litres but can allow to use own oil. Called MX, they charged $13.50 for Mobil 1 0w40 but office only opens after 5:30pm. Went down to Eng Soon and bought original BMW 0W40 LL-04 at $18/litre....saved about $33. The CSA told me they do not flush the engine during oil change, only drain and top up. Asked them to flush and pay extra around $80 (flush+oil). Also, bought brake pad and sensor from ES at $160+50(labor BVO), total change is $210, PML charges $400. FYI.

same price quoted as well but I bought filter from ES at $13, so pay only $55 for labor. Flush engine not necessary if for new car...mine already 72k km. Car wash is complimentary....should not pay.

spidey3;425539 said:
What's the diff btw BMW LL-01 and BMW LL-04? If the latter is the latest specs then does it mean we shld only get those with tat stamp?

Anyone has any feedback on Amsoil 0W30 and whether it's better than Mobil 1 0W40 for 320 4-potters? Heard it's pretty smooth...
Based on my understanding, LL-04 has lower sulfacated ash due to Euro IV emission requirement. Lower viscocity is definitely better for the engine. However, i have not tried Amsoil on Bimmer.

spidey3;425539 said:

davidtch;425707 said:
Based on my understanding, LL-04 has lower sulfacated ash due to Euro IV emission requirement.

what davidtch said.
also, from what i've read, LL-04 only for use within EU. It's been said that it depends on the fuel quality in the country, dunno if anything bad will happen if used with singapore petrol. can try asking PML i guess.

which type of engine oil actually recommended for 523 ? mobil 1 gold or silver or european formula 1 or .......

I wanted to go for a oil servicing after clocking 10k km.

Did some research.

Mobil 1 OW40 is sold at Esso for $115; That works out to 28.75 per liter.
This oil is made in Singapore, imported to HK and somehow landed back in Singapore.
???

I wonder what's the big difference as compared to the Mobil 1 0W40 sold by MX trading ,1 quart (946ml) for $13.50, other than the country that the oil was produced.
???

I decided to try one of the non pml workshop recommended in this forum.

The Mobil 1 service package for 6 cylinder engine cost $213.35 before GST.
This includes oil, oil flilter, OWS engine flush and engine protector.
I though it was a good deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luck8bot
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back