Munich OMV...

Re: Munich OMV...

Physicist;786861 said:
Isn't depreciating asset an oxymoron?

subjective. ie. a company's car fleet is capitalized as assets depreciated over its useful life. same for furniture etc. if treated as expense depends if u paid in full cash or not

Last edited by a moderator:

well said.
nonetheless, OMV is unique to singapore market. i wonder how other country "ascertain" the car price is a good buy, fair or too expensive.

kenntona;786856 said:
My way of treating OMV:

(1) on an absolute basis per year - means nothing, especially if driving the ride to 10th year. Take $100K vs 70K, the difference is $1.5K per year on the depre number.

(2) on a relative basis based on same model, yes. When it comes to buying the car, it is only logical that cars with higher OMVs commands a premium. Else, given same prices (and all things being equal), no reason to buy the car with lower OMVs. So, back to the axioms used by PI car dealers - buy cheap, sell cheap. So if you see a few MA's M3 selling in the market and all share similar OMVs around $80K, your mind will come to acceptance that the $100K OMV cars might be 1-2 years older and perhaps not comparable.

(3) on a relative basis across other marques, it depends. Example - comparing an M3 vs a RS5 or a C63. If across marques within the same YOM, the relative valuations might play a part. However, the other important variable is secondary market demand.

Singapore is unique. Effectively everyone leases cars from the government and then has the option to pay for a new 10-year ownership after 10 years.

wagons are fot ah pek no matter how high the OMV is.

So what's the purpose of OMV?
Serve as a reminder that how fat margins are for car dealers?
Kinda worthless for owners cos dun think we can get back much going the route of Dereg n exporting like in the past....haha

+1 what Kenntona said. Even "Free Hold" properties, once gazetted under the land acquisition act, have to LPPL give back to garhmen.

The biggest land owner, the biggest kahuna (sorry, bro Kenn, even longer than your 9" flaccid), the biggest badass = garhmen.
adore.gif
adore.gif
They are da man.

sszone said:
Kinda worthless for owners cos dun think we can get back much going the route of Dereg n exporting like in the past....haha

In short, it is a parameter to measure how much you will lose. Salvage value in accounting, so to speak. For the same price, higher OMVs means you will lose less in 10 years, but some (dealers) will tell you you are "better off" as if you are buying an asset.

It serves its purposes if the diferences are huge. Else, if the entire market for the same or similar marques are suffering from the same LOW OMVs, the OMV is just a reflection of demand and supply.

In economics, you became a price taker. Nothing much you can do.

Those who got F10 in 2010 with 30+k OMV must be damn happy reading this thread....

chop chop sell at coe all time high ... drive 2 years for free? :D

MW;786930 said:
Those who got F10 in 2010 with 30+k OMV must be damn happy reading this thread....

I am curious why dealers now like to say "High COE! good buy"

Since when did COE become a selling point??

MW;786934 said:
I am curious why dealers now like to say "High COE! good buy"

Since when did COE become a selling point??

Koyok man...

either that or high can go higher..

or... higher COE retain value better....

Next question

Are Munich and PML really purchasing the cars at the declared OMV prices? Or is there something going on behind the curtain?

A typically specced BMW M3 from UK costs £60,000. Taking away VAT, it's about £50,000. Throw in transportation costs, it is close to S$100,000 landed in Singapore. Perhaps, the cars are being sold to MA/PML at $100,000 but only declared at $80,000 through BMW Asia paperwork? Anybody knows better? In other words, to the dealers the cost of the car remains the same but they pay less tax.

Tanzy;786948 said:
Next question

Are Munich and PML really purchasing the cars at the declared OMV prices? Or is there something going on behind the curtain?

A typically specced BMW M3 from UK costs £60,000. Taking away VAT, it's about £50,000. Throw in transportation costs, it is close to S$100,000 landed in Singapore. Perhaps, the cars are being sold to MA/PML at $100,000 but only declared at $80,000 through BMW Asia paperwork? Anybody knows better? In other words, to the dealers the cost of the car remains the same but they pay less tax.

ask their auditor... :woottt:

I think the check is better done by IRAS and not "independent" auditors.

Tanzy;786948 said:
Next question

No one really knows unless you're the purchasing manager. But I suspect that they do get very good rates from the BMW AG. Coz its quite hard to duplicate the sales invoice which is required for customs clearance.

sszone;786917 said:

I think it works both ways. With OMV, both the buyer and seller can estimate a car's scrap value and work backwards from year 10 to determine a "fair" price. And if you know roughly how fat a dealer's margin is, you'll be able to negotiate a bit more aggressively.

Otherwise bids and offers will become random numbers.

resale not exceeding 5 years (i have not seen anyone who drive the same new car for 10 years)

75% x $100K OMV/ARF = $75K PARF rebate
75% x $80K OMV/ARF = $60K PARF rebate

it's a "fact" that the rebate is different by $15K
i know, one who buy car with $100K OMV not going to die by $15K difference but just my personal view

I think it works both ways. With OMV, both the buyer and seller can estimate a car's scrap value and work backwards from year 10 to determine a "fair" price. And if you know roughly how fat a dealer's margin is, you'll be able to negotiate a bit more aggressively.

Why use 75%? I thought resale value is a function of market demand and supply and how COE is perceived to be restricted?

Oilman;787056 said:

PML or Munich can nego one meh?? haha

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bet88topco

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back