My E90 320i Repair Journal

Re: My E90 320i Repair Journal

TohTo;809945 said:
I did mine on Feb, total cost around $3.9k with all parts and labor.
My 320i is 2006, mileage is 111k when GB failed suddenly.

Hi ur 3.9K is inclusive of changing the transmission??

mind sharing where u service ur 320i?

Update:

I have replaced and repaired a few more items:-

1) Flywheel oil Seal
2) Transmission Fluid, oil pan and pan filter.
3) Whole radiator assy

Pending
Valve Seal Replacement

delrosa81;705611 said:
Hi, you are welcome.

For Item 2: I noticed when coming to a hard stop and just immediately the car has come to a complete halt, the car jerks forward in a harsh manner. This was the initial symptom. After a few more months, I noticed when I engaged the reverse gear, the reverse gear would take at least 2 secs before it engages then I can start reversing, after awhile, the engagement would take longer and longer till one day it does not engage reverse. Then gearbox is spoil liao.

For Item 4: This you can see from the top of your engine bay, difficult to describe, but if you know where the vanos sensor cables are, chances you will see the cables covered in oil and as for the engine oil filter housing, you can see the oil seeping out at the edges.

For Item 8: This was pointed out to me by my mechanic, the hoses started to turn whitish and become hardened, which most prob means the hoses might burst anytime. The thermostat and thermostat switch was changed for good measure.

For Item 10: You will feel the car shaking while waiting at the lights. This is symptom of engine mounting wearing out.

bro, for item 2, the jerking is all the time or when you do sudden brake?

DayDreaming;870455 said:
bro, for item 2, the jerking is all the time or when you do sudden brake?

Usually it happens when there you hard brake to a complete stop. The car must come to a stop fully for at least 1 to 2 seconds before you feel the jerk.

canuck78;782860 said:
Hi bro,

I did mine last month and witness the whole thing. They really drop the transmission and it's a half day job. Cuz I was watching the whole process.

Did mine at my regular JB workshop, parts I brought myself S$22 (OEM), labour RM200. They even did cleaning for the tranny housing and flywheel.

So if you can do it for S$160 here, it's a steal so go for it.

Bro, can pm mi ur workshop name & add.. Thanks..

pabloiceman;787199 said:
ohh, forgot to mention that i driving a Dec '05 E90 320i with mileage presently at 105k. The above costs about sgd 760 (after conversion). That also solved my problem with my jerky engine (due to slight misfiring of the injectors) and the smoky exhaust (which i initially thought to be the oil seal leak - due to crazy amounts of Lube oil i had to top up every week). It was all the wiring.

Bro, can share your workshop detail? I also facing similar problem..

delrosa81;870464 said:
Usually it happens when there you hard brake to a complete stop. The car must come to a stop fully for at least 1 to 2 seconds before you feel the jerk.

I oso face similar problem wo.. Change ATF will help?

DayDreaming;870484 said:
I oso face similar problem wo.. Change ATF will help?

Hmmmm Im not sure, might or might not help but you can give it a try though. Btw whats the mileage of your car? If its more than 60k km, it might not be a good idea to change.

delrosa81;870500 said:
Hmmmm Im not sure, might or might not help but you can give it a try though. Btw whats the mileage of your car? If its more than 60k km, it might not be a good idea to change.

My ride is 07 BMW320, mileage is 210000..

DayDreaming;870812 said:
My ride is 07 BMW320, mileage is 210000..

Your mileage is pretty high, have your ride ever had an ATF change before? Maybe you can check out the site sponsor workshops for opinion? I have been told a few times that once your mileage exceeds 60,000 with the atf unchanged, its better not to change the atf for fear of causing issues to occur.

Just did a Service with one workshop. Below are the wrk done.

-Changed all the gaskets and o-rings for the common oil leak.
-Change the 2 engine mounts and 2 gb mount.
-flush transmission oil and change the transmission oil and change new strainer
-flush engine and change engine oil and new spark plugs
-change new air-con filter
-change to KNN air filter
-change all front and rear brake pads
-change 1 brake sensor (the other still ok)
-change all shock absorber
-change wheel arms for both front wheels

Damage $5.3k..

Any comments? Am I over-charged?

I got a break down list for the parts but comparin to the price I got from Eng Soon, all parts are charged at least 80% to 100% more..

If the extra is inclusive labour still ok, end of bill still show $8xx charged for labour charge..

Deathchant;870850 said:

Damage $5.3k..

I got a break down list for the parts but comparin to the price I got from Eng Soon, all parts are charged at least 80% to 100% more..

If the extra is inclusive labour still ok, end of bill still show $8xx charged for labour charge..

In this case it seems expensive.. recently i went to a workshop, they check my car & list the items require to change dan ask mi to go buy myself than they change for me & charge me labor.

delrosa81;870820 said:
Your mileage is pretty high, have your ride ever had an ATF change before? Maybe you can check out the site sponsor workshops for opinion? I have been told a few times that once your mileage exceeds 60,000 with the atf unchanged, its better not to change the atf for fear of causing issues to occur.

So i should change the oil anot?

DayDreaming;870857 said:
So i should change the oil anot?

I think you should go both site sponsor and either PML or Munich to give your transmission a once over.

Get a few opinions of what needs to be done and consider from there. Do not just go to one workshop and just listen to their opinion. It is troublesome but at least you narrow down the problem and do not get "chopped" in your hurry to get things done.

Deathchant;870850 said:

Damage $5.3k..

I did some mental calculations for what I spent for the same things you have done. Its around your pricing thereabouts. or just slightly less. So IMO its considered average.

But if you bring your own parts and let them do, labour will be much more exp, overall you might save abit, but if anything goes wrong, very ley chey. Workshop push issue to parts, stockist will say its workshop ppl make spoil, etc......In the end spend more isnt it?

I feel let workshop earn la, at least for some convenience. Reasonable profit is ok, but if genna "chopped" then of cos cannot. So its best to ask around first before proceeding with repairs.

View attachment 40017

Anyone encountered this warning indicator before???

Now I keep hearing the steering lock clicking sound but it seems stuck and I cannot start the vehicle. I flipped through the whole car owners manual but didnt see this indicator at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi bro,

There are two schools of thought:

1) Why fix it when it aint broken;
Possible downside is when it does break down, you may have no choice but to call tow truck to bring to workshop (so do your research in advance to decide which workshop when the time comes);

2) Fix it now and have peace of mind;
Cost you right now the repair bill of maybe 3-4k depending on your auto trans condition, but you get to enjoy it now and no need to worry, also you can schedule the one week downtime (e.g. when you go overseas for work, or holiday).

Just to contribute my two cents worth!

DayDreaming;870859 said:
If it is still working well, should i do overhaul?

Hi bro,

Marking up 40-50% i think is still ok, as most of the workshops even the sponsors one here "charge" it through the parts markup. The labour bill is intentionally kept quite low.

Hence, 80-100% is definitely way overboard, but I am sure most of us here been down that road once or twice before so you can't avoid that.

Buying the parts from Eng Soon yourself, and bringing to a workshop that charges reasonable labour i think is the best way forward.

PM me if you want a reasonable workshop contact here (hint: sponsor workshop in the west) or JB.

Deathchant;870850 said:

Damage $5.3k..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fun88141
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back