My E90 320i Repair Journal

Re: My E90 320i Repair Journal

Just got my 320i for one month, now there is Wong Wong sound when speed hit 80 and above, is that the bearing problem? Mileage is 122k now, engine gasket just changed by previous owner, also have jerk forward problem when stopping, hope the gearbox can still last 2 more years :(

pabloiceman;787186 said:
Thanks Delrosa81 for the very detailed write-up. Some of the repairs i've gone thorough are similar.

About a month ago had to replace my Burnt starter, wiring/cable and battery (as the burnt wiring was touching the body causing the battery to discharge) as i got stuck at a carwash in JB. Luckily the workshop which did beemers was just 3 doors away.

Bro,

So you replaced your starter for how much?
And it solve your oil 'leak' problem?

Cos my starter i think not working too well and i have supposedly an oil eating engine. Gotta top up every 1000km.

Samuel_lkh;787480 said:
Bro,

So you replaced your starter for how much?
And it solve your oil 'leak' problem?

Cos my starter i think not working too well and i have supposedly an oil eating engine. Gotta top up every 1000km.

Sam, actuallly not sure if my starter kong first or the coils but i guess both because then it caused my battery to be discharged.
The starter costs me RM 1200.

After getting the above fixed, have yet to top up my engine oil. I used to drive around with a 4l bottle of oil in the boot to standby and top up whenever the oil low alarm came. I am now thinking that the oil was never 'lost'. my refilling rate was like 1 liter for 1 week city driving.
Maybe it might be the same for u, maybe not.

hi guys, i'm just bought a E90 from the used market and the warranty has just expired. My current mileage now is 68000. So would very much appreciate if you can provide me the recommended workshop information for Singapore and JB. If very confidential, PM me also can. (-: Thanks thanks

Hi guys, juz to share after doing some research buying parts from suppliers like eng soon n golden link and let ur workshop to fit is cheaper savings about 200 bucks in some cases... For example change of aft fluid and filter all done at workshops for ard 680 - 780 Sgd. If u buy ATF oil from supplier, 9 Ltrs for 180 Sgd and the oil pan or filter about 180 Sgd parts cost is only 360 on top of that just have to add labour of ur workshop maybe 100-200 bucks? Total is ard max 580 u save 200...

For a thought ....

Oil filter original is 14 bucks oem 9 bucks
Air filter is 23

If buy from suppliers but u need to spend some time to purchase for me some savings in the long run is worth it to maintain our cars COE is too high!

dgman;790605 said:
Hi guys, juz to share after doing some research buying parts from suppliers like eng soon n golden link and let ur workshop to fit is cheaper savings about 200 bucks in some cases... For example change of aft fluid and filter all done at workshops for ard 680 - 780 Sgd. If u buy ATF oil from supplier, 9 Ltrs for 180 Sgd and the oil pan or filter about 180 Sgd parts cost is only 360 on top of that just have to add labour of ur workshop maybe 100-200 bucks? Total is ard max 580 u save 200...

For a thought ....

Thanks DGman for the lobang. Im intending to change my flywheel oil seal soon and your lobang came at the right time. :)

dgman;790605 said:

For a thought ....

Have always been doing that! =) And yes, it's a lot cheaper.... In fact, it's even cheaper still if I go in to JB for labour. Typically, it's about the same rate in ringgit.... so that's like half the price!

4pcs of original brake pads 168, AFT oil 4L 70 , AFT filter 75, AFT gasket /oil seal 75 u go straight to workshop get chop till jiat lat!
Just bought mine yesterday!

Fan belt 55 original oem 20
Tension pulley 35
Air con filter 35

Last edited by a moderator:

Dear Bros,

Anyone have any experience with the below problem?

My car, now consumes engine oil. When engine is switched off and left to rest for say an hour, after firing up, no issue. But if I try revving the engine hard in stationary position, I will see a huge cloud of bluish white smoke. No smoke at all during idle. Only when revved hard.

After driving for at least 15mins above, when I come to a stop, I try revving the car hard again, no bluish white smoke.

I have changed the oil seperator located under the intake manifold area. Are there any other pcv or hoses that might cause the engine oil consumption issue? Im also thinking my oil seperator might have been incorrectly installed.

Recently went to a site sponsor, didnt bother to check but just straight said, Top Overhaul la, common problem. 320 all like that one. do so many liao.

I strongly do not believe a very well maintained 4yrs plus car with just 126k km of mileage would require an overhaul of any sorts. I have been scouring the net these few days to find out what is the reason but to no avail. Neither do I think valve seals are the culprit. Bcos no smoke upon startup from exhuast from cold.

There will only be smoke if the engine has run for awhile, left to rest for an hour or less, then there is the smoke if I rev hard.

Hope to get clues or ideas whats to be done.

Thanks!

Hi

I had the same problem and ended up doing the replacing the valve seals and gaskets of the head. No more smoking issue. These rub seals tend to hardened with time. Even the N42 engine had similar issues.

I also got two question

1. My car is a 06, but has done only 38,000 KM. Should i look at changing the ATF now? Is it more to do with mileage of age?

2. The service department only fills oil up to half of the oil level indicator. Saying that is 4.3 liters. Do you need to fill it right up to the max point? also the level keeps changing. It remained at half for some time and then dropped to 1/4, and has been there ever since. Car has done about 2,000 KM since the last service. Is it normal for the indicator to fluctuate?

eddienike;782675 said:
I changed this in a reputable workshop at sin ming auto care. Labour at $160 exclude parts. Most other workshop charge at $500 for this work. I can pm u the workshop if u need.

Hi Bro, appreciate if you can PM me the workshop.
Had some prob with my headlights lately, the fuse head MELTED! and i cannot replace the old bulb. hai.............

E90-320i;795708 said:
Hi

I had the same problem and ended up doing the replacing the valve seals and gaskets of the head. No more smoking issue. These rub seals tend to hardened with time. Even the N42 engine had similar issues.

I also got two question

1. My car is a 06, but has done only 38,000 KM. Should i look at changing the ATF now? Is it more to do with mileage of age?

2. The service department only fills oil up to half of the oil level indicator. Saying that is 4.3 liters. Do you need to fill it right up to the max point? also the level keeps changing. It remained at half for some time and then dropped to 1/4, and has been there ever since. Car has done about 2,000 KM since the last service. Is it normal for the indicator to fluctuate?

Oic, thanks for the experience shared. How much did ur valve seal and gasket replacement costs?

As for your question,

1) its good to change ur ATF cos despite the low mileage, its better to change out the ATF, Oil Pan and Oil Filter. Cos oil will also degrade after some time.

2) Usually they fill up till half only bcos they do not want to overfill the engine oil. Usually mine before the leaks will maintain at about halfway mark and stay there. Its normal for the indicator to fluctuate. I had mine engine oil level sensor replaced late last year as it kept moving up and down even though I had enough engine oil. Workshop manually drained out the oil and measured.

@delrosa81

I got down the parts from the UK

1. Rocker cover gasket and valve seal repair kit - 60 sterling
2. Head bolt kit - 50 sterling
3. Head gasket - 22 sterling
4. Also changed the timing chain tension er - 40 sterling

I'm from Colombo, so I gave the parts to the official BMW dealership down here and got everything replaced. Labour was about S$ 300

It took about 2 days for the job.

I have also changed the PCV valve and intake manifold gaskets (not sure of the price, but was very small)

E90-320i;795728 said:
@delrosa81

I got down the parts from the UK

1. Rocker cover gasket and valve seal repair kit - 60 sterling
2. Head bolt kit - 50 sterling
3. Head gasket - 22 sterling
4. Also changed the timing chain tension er - 40 sterling

I'm from Colombo, so I gave the parts to the official BMW dealership down here and got everything replaced. Labour was about S$ 300

It took about 2 days for the job.

I have also changed the PCV valve and intake manifold gaskets (not sure of the price, but was very small)

Oic, thanks very much!

pirelliboy;795720 said:
Hi Bro, appreciate if you can PM me the workshop.
Had some prob with my headlights lately, the fuse head MELTED! and i cannot replace the old bulb. hai.............

Bro, PM sent!

Hi guys I am very new and just bought a 05' E90 so wanted to send to a workshop and do the necessary check and servicing so can anyone pm me the contact. Thanks alot!

Just like to check with experienced brothers if this is a concern.
Spotted some dried oil marks on part of the engine (as shown in the pic). Is this a sign of oil leakage? quite long time ago when car was at about 8K mileage, low oil level warning came up. Warning was cleared by topping up engine oil at PML. The problem did not come up eversince and car's mileage is now at about 33K. Car still got about 9 months of warranty left.

img2453u.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fun88141
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back