My E90 320i Repair Journal

Re: My E90 320i Repair Journal

i plan to change out engine oil at 30k mark and do so at every 10k mark. is this a good way to ensure car is maintained properly?

any diff if i do it ay munich auto or at pml? asking cos munich auto v near my house.. more convenient
will it void my pml warranty or ppsl extended wwarranty?

iamdarren79;719920 said:
i plan to change out engine oil at 30k mark and do so at every 10k mark. is this a good way to ensure car is maintained properly?

any diff if i do it ay munich auto or at pml? asking cos munich auto v near my house.. more convenient
will it void my pml warranty or ppsl extended wwarranty?

Going by the layman way, it should be very safe.

MA does recognise PML warranty but since urs is an extended warranty by PPSL, you may wana give PPSL a tinker to ascertain.

Guys
What is the gearbox oil I should use when changing the ATF? And would you need 16liters for flushing and refilling? or just a draining of old oil and refilling would be sufficient along with the pan and filter?
Rgds

It's 7l for the 320i ZF auto trans. Cost inc the oil pan ar $700/-

Think your mechanic will advise, just drain and refill

E90-320i;721577 said:
Guys
What is the gearbox oil I should use when changing the ATF? And would you need 16liters for flushing and refilling? or just a draining of old oil and refilling would be sufficient along with the pan and filter?
Rgds

Hey guys, I recently experience some problem with my e90 320i, hope you guys can help me.
1. When I brake and when the car slow down, there seems to be a "tug tug" sound coming from my rear right wheel. Could it be the bearing or lower arm?
2. There are 2 incidents that when I start my engine and I engage D, the car is not moving and the engine died but when I restart my engine and engage D again it went to back normal. What could be the problem? It seems like manual car when clutch are released before engaging to the accelerator.

Many thanks!

leekokshiong;745361 said:
Hey guys, I recently experience some problem with my e90 320i, hope you guys can help me.
1. When I brake and when the car slow down, there seems to be a "tug tug" sound coming from my rear right wheel. Could it be the bearing or lower arm?
2. There are 2 incidents that when I start my engine and I engage D, the car is not moving and the engine died but when I restart my engine and engage D again it went to back normal. What could be the problem? It seems like manual car when clutch are released before engaging to the accelerator.

Many thanks!

Im not very sure but if you are very certain it is coming from your rear right wheel then it might be other things and not the wheel bearing, as failed wheel bearings produce wong wong sound and gets louder with speed and when slowing down.

As for your engine dying off, Im not sure on this, maybe other more experienced forummers might want to chime in on this.

delrosa81;705611 said:
Hi, you are welcome.

For Item 2: I noticed when coming to a hard stop and just immediately the car has come to a complete halt, the car jerks forward in a harsh manner. This was the initial symptom. After a few more months, I noticed when I engaged the reverse gear, the reverse gear would take at least 2 secs before it engages then I can start reversing, after awhile, the engagement would take longer and longer till one day it does not engage reverse. Then gearbox is spoil liao.

For Item 4: This you can see from the top of your engine bay, difficult to describe, but if you know where the vanos sensor cables are, chances you will see the cables covered in oil and as for the engine oil filter housing, you can see the oil seeping out at the edges.

For Item 8: This was pointed out to me by my mechanic, the hoses started to turn whitish and become hardened, which most prob means the hoses might burst anytime. The thermostat and thermostat switch was changed for good measure.

For Item 10: You will feel the car shaking while waiting at the lights. This is symptom of engine mounting wearing out.

Hi can recommend ur workshop?

roytan80;779402 said:
Hi can recommend ur workshop?

Hi Roy, the workshop I went to gave me quite abit of problems, the leaks started again less than 3 months at both the valve cover gasket and oil sump gasket.

So I would recommend you seek other forummers workshops rather than mine. Im sending in my car today for the last time, if the problems come back again, I will send it to another workshop.

Paiseh, I could not be of any help.

Wow, this whole posting really helps.. The 323i that i got was from a friend, had a full servicing record fr PML. I do hope the car can last... So far, no problems indicated. He did pass me the whole stack of servicing stuff that was done since day 1.. Quite some to digest..

chapelofres;779536 said:
Wow, this whole posting really helps.. The 323i that i got was from a friend, had a full servicing record fr PML. I do hope the car can last... So far, no problems indicated. He did pass me the whole stack of servicing stuff that was done since day 1.. Quite some to digest..

Yup, thats why many of us share our experiences online. Glad it was helpful to you. :)

One thing for sure, there's quite a community here and the replies sure come in quick and prompt.. So glad for it.. Thanks guys! =)

you're welcomed!
;-) *taking credit for others' contributions...

:p

chapelofres;779545 said:
One thing for sure, there's quite a community here and the replies sure come in quick and prompt.. So glad for it.. Thanks guys! =)

but sometimes.... they digress and turn 'yellow'.

Now I have done up a fair bit of things, now the workshop says the engine flywheel connecting to the gearbox, the flywheel oil seal is leaking.....

Anyone have any experience in this and how much did you pay for the repairs? Dunwan get ripped off by the workshop. Cos they say have to drop gearbox to access the flywheel to change the oil seal.

Labour alone: $500. Excluding Parts.....

delrosa81;782508 said:
Now I have done up a fair bit of things, now the workshop says the engine flywheel connecting to the gearbox, the flywheel oil seal is leaking.....

Anyone have any experience in this and how much did you pay for the repairs? Dunwan get ripped off by the workshop. Cos they say have to drop gearbox to access the flywheel to change the oil seal.

I changed this in a reputable workshop at sin ming auto care. Labour at $160 exclude parts. Most other workshop charge at $500 for this work. I can pm u the workshop if u need.

eddienike;782675 said:
I changed this in a reputable workshop at sin ming auto care. Labour at $160 exclude parts. Most other workshop charge at $500 for this work. I can pm u the workshop if u need.

Hi Eddienike, wow! Good lobang! Pls PM me the workshop. Thanks very much! :)

eddienike;782675 said:
Hi Bro,

Nice one and a great gesture of sharing info for the benefits of the members of the BMW SG FORUM....Kudos to you Bro.

Pls PM me as well...Cheers.

Me stayin ard Sin Ming ...

Pls PM me the contact info also.

TIA...

Hi bro,

I did mine last month and witness the whole thing. They really drop the transmission and it's a half day job. Cuz I was watching the whole process.

Did mine at my regular JB workshop, parts I brought myself S$22 (OEM), labour RM200. They even did cleaning for the tranny housing and flywheel.

So if you can do it for S$160 here, it's a steal so go for it.

delrosa81;782508 said:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asahihotpotvn
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back