My paint job NIGHTMARE!

Re: My paint job NIGHTMARE!

iScoupe, things will probably turn out well for you since they are aware of the negative publicity this thread has generated. I hope things work out for you,

Its heart breaking to see my paint work in shambles. The first day i got my car, i drove it from PML to the grooming shop. By the time the car was 10 months old, I had already clocked 14-16 grooming sessions + a minimum of a weekly wash.

I'm not trying to break their rice bowl, hence I didn't name them publicly.

I'm upset with the state of my paint work now still, 2 attempts and 8 days without car ... now I've gotta go pay someone else to grind off the paint and respray. I ain't anywhere closer to my original goal.

I went to them coz others I personally know have sweared about their good work. After my incident, others begin to tell me the other stories. So here I am... decisions are yours to make. Don't take my words for it. Keep your eyes and ears peeled.

sszone;270263 said:
so whats their side of the story? ferd difficult customer ah? haha....just kidding ferd

hahahah.... perhaps....

if i wasn't particular about my car's paintwork, i wouldn't have gone to them in the first place. i've personally recommended a friend to them too, thank God theirs turned out ok! Then again, that was just the bumper in jet black.

understand ur feeling too.. think is sad ur car turn out this way, for me i just wish such thing dun happen when is done, as is raining seasons, watever happen to you may happen to me too.. cheers hope u can get ur car done asap.. not easy to see own bimmer in tat condition of urs.

Hi

So sorry to hear, hope things will work out for you soon.

Its really surprising to hear of such incidents. Sometime back I had an incident with a 'quite reputable' shop when I brought my ex E30 for respray, they painted my original Lachsillber (grey) to Arctic Silver instead. Reason being they couldnt find the original paint code and so they decided that based on their 'professional' advice, my classic E30 should have the latest E90 colour. This very stupid decision was made without my knowledge, when a simple phone call to me could have been in order. I was shocked when I got there, furious, i demanded a respray back to the original colour after going thru with them the available options. Luckily the boss admitted their mistake and obliged.

Yes, so we all make mistakes but sometimes a simple phone call for clarification etc could have helped.

Please PM me all the names too thanks.

indeed is scary... I shall do my homework of the color codes and provide it to who ever is gonna be doing my car in future. thanks Ferd.

acupunch;270285 said:
indeed is scary... I shall do my homework of the color codes and provide it to who ever is gonna be doing my car in future. thanks Ferd.

for the e90 , the colour code is on the door... they've got to use exactly the same code... i.e.

475/x - for sapphire black

x is the variant code.... it will look hell a lot of difference if they just ignore that part of the code, i know for sure for sapphire black.

and the trouble is, each car batch can be different! even same model! (that's what i learnt the hard and painful way)

Hi ! Ferd.

Please PM their name to me too :)

Hope things will turn out fine :)

ferd;270287 said:
for the e90 , the colour code is on the door... they've got to use exactly the same code... i.e.

475/x - for sapphire black

x is the variant code.... it will look hell a lot of difference if they just ignore that part of the code, i know for sure for sapphire black.

and the trouble is, each car batch can be different! even same model! (that's what i learnt the hard and painful way)

Sorry to hear your story and hope everything will turn out well.

Please PM me the shop name. Thanks

haha looks like eventually every1 know which workshop ! hope their biz not affected..

frankly, if they had remedied the prob the second time, this post would not have been started (i think) ... whether their business would be affected would very much depend on their job quality and service level going forward

I have a sapphire black car too but I only know the code to be 475.

I did my research online and there is no mention on wat the /x means. Cuz if u wanna order the sapphire black paint, all online shops around the world provide the code of 475, without the /x. And this 475 code has been around since the 90's for BMW.

Ferd, can u get an explanation from the shop as to what /x means? I will continue to search what does the /x means.

Interesting... :)

Hi,
Could you pls PM me the spray shop? Just scratch my front bumper yesterday and thot of getting it sprayed. Even though not serious but still... leaving your car to these ppl will give you an uneasy feeling as long as it takes. Thanks and I hope you'll manage to settle your problem.

Okay boys & girls, finally found out what the paintcode in ur BMW means.

BMW Paint Code

The first 3 digits are the ACTUAL paint code. So for example, my car is sapphire black, my paint code is 475.

As for the /x, it has been confirmed with PML that the /x is BMW internal paint batch tracking number. So as know where the car has been painted from etc. It has no relevance to the actual paint code itself.

Here's a list of paint codes (partial). Doesn't include the E91-E93 though. 1.87MB file

http://www.bmwccbc.org/resources/teile/BMW-current-colors.pdf

Something that we learnt everyday!

Cheerio!

ferd said:
12. So 475/x ... the x is bloody important! Most shops do not know that the x is a variant code which means the paint will look different!
Azrielsc said:
As for the /x, it has been confirmed with PML that the /x is BMW internal paint batch tracking number. So as know where the car has been painted from etc. It has no relevance to the actual paint code itself.
Plot thickens !!!

The expert witness which was called to give testamony also got it wrong? Read again.......

Sad to hear that... PM me the shops so that at least I can avoid, or good to know. Thanks.

Azrielsc;270438 said:
Okay boys & girls, finally found out what the paintcode in ur BMW means.

BMW Paint Code

The first 3 digits are the ACTUAL paint code. So for example, my car is sapphire black, my paint code is 475.

Here's a list of paint codes (partial). Doesn't include the E91-E93 though. 1.87MB file

http://www.bmwccbc.org/resources/teile/BMW-current-colors.pdf

Something that we learnt everyday!

Cheerio!

Thanks for the info Sam.

My initial understanding that it is a varaint code is wrong, my mistake. Sorry.

But what the guy was trying to tell me is /x code is where the car is produced. Why its important is the paint used in different locations for production is sourced locally. This could result different looks, i.e. important to source the paint for similar looks.

So say the 6er is produced in location X and we buy the paint code 475 from paint source for country X, it will probably work for the 6er. But if the 3er was to be produced in location Y, and we buy the paint code 475 from paint source at location X. It might account for the difference.

From my paint work, I can see that the metalic bits are denser on the newly sprayed surface area as compared to the factory sprayed area. i.e. the original paint has less metalic bits, thus the new paint looks more grey and the original paint more black.

While I have guessed the distance that the spray nossel is from the surface might have caused this difference but if the metalic bits are at a fixed ratio of black paint, it will look less different. Coz any drop of paint would have x percent of metalic bits.

What are the chances the paint are all produced in the same factory, supplied and shipped to BMW factories around the world? If this was true, then the 6er and the 3er sapphire black would look identical. This is doesn't appear to be the case in my personal experience.

Let me check more and revert on my findings if I find anything more.

Good points Ferd!

However, it doesn't sound economicaly viable to get a few cans from X country as ur car is from there. So if my car is from Y country, I must get paint from Y country.

Even PML is telling me that all paint is coded via their 1st 3 digits, that's it. No difference too. Even they told me to ignore the /x! Hahaha! Same with the online stores. No one would buy the paints online if they do not state which country the paints are being sourced from.

And the plot thickens! :)

Cheers!

Not sure if my earlier explaination is accurate, but in a nutshell this chap was trying to tell me is, dont apply the 475 across every /x and expect the same result without doing more research and expect the same look.

I have also thought of the possibility of the original paint being bleeched by the sun. Now if that is the case, it would look more grey than black. Discounting that it was 11 months old when it was resprayed and that my office carpark is indoors but my home is exposed to the weather elements.

Again, if I find more I'll add here. But hey feel free to add whatever you find and comment on any inaccuracies my posts. Afterall my priority is find a shop that can fix my problem.

Azrielsc;270498 said:
Good points Ferd!

However, it doesn't sound economicaly viable to get a few cans from X country as ur car is from there. So if my car is from Y country, I must get paint from Y country.

Even PML is telling me that all paint is coded via their 1st 3 digits, that's it. No difference too. Even they told me to ignore the /x! Hahaha! Same with the online stores. No one would buy the paints online if they do not state which country the paints are being sourced from.

And the plot thickens! :)

Cheers!

Business decisions are like that right? Quality or quantity? at what kind of price & margins?
Work pride or not?

They've had a very good reputation that's why I went to them expecting a good job to be done. At the end of it I'm extremely disappointed, esp after the second attempt.

Given the state my of paint work with the colour differrence and rimples am desperate enough to try another shop. Well technically it'll be wasting money if another shop doesn't fix it, but its just to painful to look at it everytime I walk towards it.

So I guess there's only one way to find out...

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back