My paint job NIGHTMARE!

Re: My paint job NIGHTMARE!

ferd, change color lo......won't be so eyesore then...hehe.....that is if u are already planning to get it resprayed.
anyway, i think this thread will be never-ending.....the paintshop supporters versus u, plus curious onlookers like us who would want to avoid another mishap like yours.
good luck with the 3rd spray job if u are going to....

Thanks for all your kind well wishes, its time to move on...

My invoice date for the initial job was 18/10/07 I've given it a lot of thought before expressing my unhappiness here.

So that I'm not seen as trying to smash anyone's rice bowl. I won't be answering any further PMs about who did a sloppy job for me, please go ask some of the others in these posts for if you want to know, its up to them if they choose to tell you.

Mods, if you feel the need to lock this thread please feel free to do so. Thanks.

Ferd,

Its good to share your experience with the rest of us! Some have good experiences with certain shops, some don't.

I can say that I have learnt something new from this unfortunate incident of yours, and hopefully others, and I sincerely hope that you will manage to solve your problem.

This thread will only be locked when appropriate so no worries about that!

Cheers!

Azrielsc;270525 said:
Ferd,

Its good to share your experience with the rest of us! Some have good experiences with certain shops, some don't.

I can say that I have learnt something new from this unfortunate incident of yours, and hopefully others, and I sincerely hope that you will manage to solve your problem.

This thread will only be locked when appropriate so no worries about that!

Cheers!

Thanks Sam.

Through this post I also learned I'm not alone (i'm not sure if it was any consolation). Quite a few have suffered in silence. Just that I was probably the only or few vocal ones. I guess if someone else voiced it earlier, I may have been more fortunate when choosing a paint shop for my respray.

Like I said, even my real life brother also used to swear by this shop too.

In any business, the boss needs to have sufficient domain knowledge, PR alone is not enough. Else they would be at the mercy of the workers. No excuse for lack of QC.

Just like why some paint shop mask areas and spray, others dismantel parts then spray. Some do research about paint source, some don't. Some take 4 days some take 8 days. Consumers should be presented the facts to make their own decisions.

Same reason why some of us buy BMW and others other marques.

The plot thickens further...

feeling the unrest, i decided to call another bmwsg famous shop a lot of brothers here PM me...

i told him, a lot of people told me to call u, i got a problem. I just resprayed my car. Why does my sapphire black looks different? ....his immediate response was, there are many kinds of sapphire black. Anyway he asked to take a look at my car, so i'll pop by tomorrow and update this thread on my experience...

i am feeling so doomed now.....sigh

ferd;270589 said:
The plot thickens further...

feeling the unrest, i decided to call another bmwsg famous shop a lot of brothers here PM me...

i told him, a lot of people told me to call u, i got a problem. I just resprayed my car. Why does my sapphire black looks different? ....his immediate response was, there are many kinds of sapphire black. Anyway he asked to take a look at my car, so i'll pop by tomorrow and update this thread on my experience...

i am feeling so doomed now.....sigh

sin wee chuan ah? hehe.....no prizes for guessing rite hor
no need to feel doomed.....spend another few ks for some paint-therapy.
i prob be the one to go nuts if i spent that much n got crap quality paint job, wifey prob kill me.....haha.....or suan-ed me to death :lol2:

Mockngbrd;270594 said:
All the best Ferd. hope all turns out well for u

Thanks Louis!

sszone;270605 said:
sin wee chuan ah? hehe.....no prizes for guessing rite hor
no need to feel doomed.....spend another few ks for some paint-therapy.
i prob be the one to go nuts if i spent that much n got crap quality paint job, wifey prob kill me.....haha.....or suan-ed me to death :lol2:

my wife has been very supportive, she knows how upset I am about the present situation...

anyway, took a drove down to speak with another shop for a 3rd opinion. he's initial reaction was to tell me don't do anything more, paint too thick already.... (that's what the second opinion also said).

after having a look around my car, he pointed out that the least I could do was to try and clean up after the initial bad paint work ... paint stains on areas that are not suppose to be, rubber trims littered with paint, petrol cap inner area stained with paint, etc.

I was pretty insistant he gave me a quote to fix it, reluctantly he quoted and qualified that it'll never look the same. He echo my concerns about the rimples were pretty bad and suggested
that I only touch the 4 panels on the right. He also suggest I give PML a try, but also said they'll probably say they cannot gurantee. Anyway I'm waiting the quote on trying to fix it.

Anyway the more expert opinions I seek seems to confirm my guess a sloppy job was executed (make no mistake, i gave them 2 chances).

What's next guys? Sell the car? Change 2 doors, boot lid, bonnet and bumper? Or be depressed each time I look at the car and continue to drive it...

if I get sometime this weekend, i'll see if i can grab some photos of the sorry state my car is in, sincerely hope none of you would have to be in this position that I am in right now...

Morale of the story? Your car paintwork doesn't have nine lives, choose your paintshop well!

pm me the name of the workshop too.. i will in behalf PM OLL7 Nelson.

Is there actually a diff stating the workshop name here than PM?

Hi Fred,

I must say you have gone thru a rough patch, in getting what was an insignificant paint job done up.

My opinion on this is to pursue the matter with the paint shop, demand that they grind down and redo the whole paint job, look bro, you have nothing to lose and the future reputation of the shop might be significantly hinged on its ability to make resolution on this matter.

Cheers,,,

ferd;270701 said:
Thanks Louis!

my wife has been very supportive, she knows how upset I am about the present situation...

anyway, took a drove down to speak with another shop for a 3rd opinion. he's initial reaction was to tell me don't do anything more, paint too thick already.... (that's what the second opinion also said).

after having a look around my car, he pointed out that the least I could do was to try and clean up after the initial bad paint work ... paint stains on areas that are not suppose to be, rubber trims littered with paint, petrol cap inner area stained with paint, etc.

I was pretty insistant he gave me a quote to fix it, reluctantly he quoted and qualified that it'll never look the same. He echo my concerns about the rimples were pretty bad and suggested
that I only touch the 4 panels on the right. He also suggest I give PML a try, but also said they'll probably say they cannot gurantee. Anyway I'm waiting the quote on trying to fix it.

Anyway the more expert opinions I seek seems to confirm my guess a sloppy job was executed (make no mistake, i gave them 2 chances).

What's next guys? Sell the car? Change 2 doors, boot lid, bonnet and bumper? Or be depressed each time I look at the car and continue to drive it...

if I get sometime this weekend, i'll see if i can grab some photos of the sorry state my car is in, sincerely hope none of you would have to be in this position that I am in right now...

Morale of the story? Your car paintwork doesn't have nine lives, choose your paintshop well!

I'll share my personal experience with my E46-318iA.
Like yourself, when vandals hit me with a deep long scratch across my rear right door, I found myself running through the resource page and before I knew it, walked into this paintshop many forumers swore by. Was naturally impressed by the Boss' knowledge and of course his PR skills. Was quoted a price that was a good 30% more than what several other workshops were asking (but less than PML). 3 days later, like you, collected my car in the pouring rain and didn't have the opportunity to truly inspect the workmanship. Parked the car and went to bed feeling good again. Next morning, in high spirits I walked to my car confident that it was restored to mint condition again (what less to expect given the numerous thumbs-up reviews by so many discerning owners). To my absolute HORROR, the colour was clearly a shade darker. Took the day off and stormed down to the workshop. Some cock and bull story about the sun's UV light causing the paint colour to change over time. He then offered to spray the entire right side so that it wouldn't be that obvious.

Tempted as I was to take on his offer, I guess good sense got the beetr of me so I sent the car back to PML where it stayed for a good 4 days. Came out with a perfect colour match. Drove my car back to the workshop and showed it to the Boss and asked him if he thought PML had a special machine whcich could somehow magically weather fresh paint to the correct tone. Asked for compensation and threatened to spead the good word around together with the pictures. Grudgingly he agreed to refund what i had earlier paid.

Just wondering if its the same workshop. Have PM-ed you a little while ago as I'm looking to send my wife's car in for a respray and have in mind a workshop that is listed on the resource page.

Hey guys, some where in these posts I've actually stated I do not wish to answer which shop it is any further as I don't want to be seen as trying to smash their rice bowl. I do still get PMs of which I'm not replying.

My second opinion thinks in his professional opinion that I shouldnt try to fix it any further and make it worse with an additional coat of paint.

My 3rd opinion has rejected initially with the same reason, but I told him can you imagine how I can continue to look at my car everday? He'll let me know how much the rubber trims would cost on Monday. Oh, and he told me ... wah yesterday a lot of people call me to ask me who is it after seeing your post...

The name PML is lingering in my head a lot more, I'm gonna check to see what they say on monday. Well that would probably set me back by 5 - 7k.

The reason why I'm not going back to the original paint shop is that I believe I cannot queeze blood out of stone. Is there a point if flogging a dead horse? I've not considered going back even to ask for a refund at this point because I wish to be seen as trying to pull a fast one and complain on the internet then ask for a refund.

Well hell, I'm not in a position to be throwing away money like that, but you should have read the earlier posts where I almost triggered undesirable reaction.

Like I said, the original paintshop is one of the bmw-sg famous workshops where by a lot of people here would swear by. There aren't that many around, seek and thou shall find the answer...

As to why I didn't want to name them publicly? I'm a business owner myself, I think it not professional to name them publicly on the forum. I certainly wouldn't like that to happen to me too. I've decided to to maintain my commercial signature in all my posts here rather than to hide it as I don't want to be seen as being sneaky.

I know how it feels to be able to send bodykit parts to the shop and have them do a good job, and then when someone like me posts negative feedback its human nature to get defensive about your believes. But hey, look here... I sent my whole car in... something that would cost lots to have replace. Not a mere thousands. (Yes, I called my SE and asked how much they would take my car in today... approx 112k was the answer, I got it at 146k 12 months ago).

Now that's why I chose to post here rather than keep quite, maybe because of this there will be one less victim of the sloppy paint job. One less guy who needs to even consider selling his car just as it reaches 12 months old against his will if I might add.

All said and done, I'm still the one with the problem right? Whether anyone believes my story or not.

All in all, most of you were most kind with your well wishes and kind words of encouragement. I appreciate all of it. From the bottom of my heart, thank you guys!

Hi Ferd,

Reali sorry to hear of your plight; I happen to be one of those that swear by the 1st workshop that you went to. I also happen to be one that swear by the 3rd workshop that you went to seek an opinion with as well. In fact, coincidentally my ex E46 cab was sapphire black, ex E46 sedan was Cosmos black. My ex E90 sedan was also sapphire black..

Both this workshops hav done a marvellous jobs for all my rides thus far, dating bac to my BCOS days b4 BMW-SG was born. I have fitted bodykits, spoilers n watever fittings n they hav performed veri well. In fact, both workshops owners hav became more like friends then business associates, as always.

In fact, my current Pearl White Estima was vandalised and the 1st workshop actually did a good job of resprayin for me. N Pearl White jobs are not easy. Lastly, to vouch for the 1st workshop again, they hav also done some works on my current white E65 730IA as well as well as my ex Boxster S.

I am openly vouchin for them based on my own experiences n I deeply feel for your ride as well bcos I am a car lover. I would suggest giv them one last chance (knowin u hav gone down twice) to make up to u. I can always go wif u if needed to reolve tis bro...

No offence n my 2 cents worth.

Cheers
Ivan

Hi Ivan,

No worries, no offense taken. Honestly, I've spent a great deal of time visiting options and to try figure out what I should do.

I revisited opinion 2, called the 3rd workshop again and even went to PML told them the whole story and asked if they could fix it...

I have one common advise from all of them, the paint is too think already. After you send it to them they have just added more lacker on it....don't spray anymore. Everyone is telling me that.

opinion 2 told me, that if i add another layer of paint on top of it it'll make the reflection worse.
opinion 3 told me, don't spray if you can looks very thick already.

I ask them, if they can take off the layers that workshop 1 has put on... they told me.... how to take off? bare metal restore? that's a measure used for antique cars, if we do it you'll loose all your factory protection for the metal and it may rust and complicate things further.

so i asked, can you sand down or grind off the paint for me? they told me... use hand how to sand down? use machine, later the bodywork become more uneven

PML was pretty straight forward. Respray each panel is x dollars. If you want bare metal restore it'll be double the price. Replace all the trims, even the badge at the back and if respray whole care, change shark fin also...

The non PML workshop i spoke with said, they do not use water based paint... so there will be no orange peel efftect, and it'll look different.... just like what mine looks like now... made worse with the additional layers caused by rework from a sloppy job. They told me, best bet is go back PML ask them to use water based paint, you will get the orange peel efftect back... even the PML guy (name withheld) agrees.

Now it was blind faith that I chose workshop 1, if I had done enough home work instead of basing my decision on how people praise them. I would have seriously gone for workshop 3 since these 2 are the BMW-SG most sweared by workshops.

What are the reasons? Workshop 3 knows their stuff. They strip off the parts to spray and then replace the trims and clips. Workshop 1 masking tape them and spray over everything! Now the rubber trims on my car do look many years older and paint gets litered all over on parts that were not resprayed. Now colour difference I can't compare, but workshop one surely didn't give me the right colour from what I can see with my own amature eyes.

What's worse, after making my negative experience public. I realised that workshop 1 often has to do repeated jobs to get it right because that's the general feedback i get from others. Pretty much sums it when someone else praise them after a revisit to have it rectified. I am definitely impressed with workshop 1's boss commitment to customer satifaction. I am utterly disgusted with the quality of work and the attention to detail with lead me to this position that I am in right now.

I've given them a second chance, knowing I couldn't maintain my cool .. i did it through a neutral proxy so as not to risk me loosing my cool at the shop to scare other customers off.

Ivan, do you seriously think I should go and pile another layer of paint with workshop 1 against the advise of all the other people in the same business? Do you think that if I had gone to workshop 3 instead of workshop 1 I would have been a happier man today? Would workshop 1 be committed to customer satisfaction enough to do the unthinkable and to pay for my rework with PML given they cannot do a satisfactory job for me twice?

Don't get me wrong, I respect that you've been around for a long time, have had many other nice rides too and your positive experience with workshop 1 and 3. And having owned one of the 3 fully ACS decked out cabrios in its time also shows that you're an extreme car lover.

But wouldn't you agree that the situation that I am in right now is a little hairy?

Cheers!
Ferd

ps: good to hear from you, its been a while since the bmw-sg chat room closed its doors.

Hi Ferd bro,

Yeah, uncle here had been kinda of busy n yes, i stil miz those chat days...haha. n glad some brudders n sistas (older ones only, haha) remember me...

Hmm, indeed a veri tough decision; i asked myself tis qn b4 i replied u wat i would hav done...which coincidentally it happened at workshop 3 b4 to me....n the boss there was so professional dat he redo the work on my E46 sedan then..n i was lucky dat i was happi wif the job the 2nd time around.

Honestly n veri objectively, no one's perfect totally, including PML, Workshop 1, 2 n 3 in my dealings wif all of them throughout the last 8-9 years of car-moddin n after more then 15 cars done, including quite a few MPVs. I am one dat wil give 2nd or even 3rd chances to them to do my rides rite....bt again, tis is juz me.

I am such a crazy car lover that I will not b able to sleep well even when my ride gets a single dent, let alone the entire paintwork n therfore. therefore, i wil continue to pursue the matter in order to get wat i wan...in fact, i may even contemplate changin the entire color since extensive works need to be done now...bt tis is again, juz me.

lastly, given yr predicament and problem, i wanted veri much to help, much like wat i use to do wif some of the older formmers. In the old days, at workshop 3, many forummers wld ask me to 'bargain' or speak to the boss bcos i get better prices. same case wif workshop 1 n other bmw parts distributors. Tis was the spirit of the old forum, which may stil b the same now i suspect..i stil remember a classic example of me goin to help Hackzi bargain for his Breyton Vision Rims at Benzline at for then half a day n gettin a gd deal for him...(tears formin in my eyes liao...haha). in fact, when i bot my cabrio fm TTS, i stil remember n wil never 4get Uncle Jem n Lay Chee goin down wif me to speak to the boss to give me the gd deal...n when i collected the car fm PML, it was another small party....simply lovely.

It is in tis spirit dat i replied u n hopin to help. I was statin facts that all those ex rides or current cars of mine were done by workshop 1 n I was happi wif it. bt i juz hope yr ride wil get its fair treatment n u, a car lover like me, wil b happi.

my 2 cents again bro.

Rgds
Ivan

"ps: good to hear from you, its been a while since the bmw-sg chat room closed its s." This line really cheer me up....haha, n reminded me wat i had been missin out! thx bro!

Ferd, I really hope that you solve your problem to your satisfaction asap. I feel for you, man!

OT: Uncle Ivan, long time no see! And I remember those old days too!

Share my experiences with workshop 1. Is my 1st time getting my car to spray. Never know this workshop before, just happen pop by then decided to spray.... choosing between 2 workshops, I got fred's nitemare workshop with $300 more on the bill to do it...
Collected my Car from workshop 1 , wat can i say 95/100. btw i spray my whole car , good workmanship & serivce, but i do feel for Ferd as his is new car my is old (E36 Coupe). Workshop boss was delighted to have my understanding cos i did not rush them & leave my car with them for 10days.
As for old car do expect things to be remove for spraying but cannot be fitted back or broken, I was glad tat workshop 1 pay for the bill of $100+ tat do not concern them. They even spray stuff tat was later requested by me including engine casket, wiper, spoiler, nose grill panel etc. As the paint job price was quote before all this damages & extras add-on onto spray work, I think they are being responsible to make customer feel good. Now my car like new keke... maybe I was lucky to be one happy customer or is it they are really good?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ts1688casino
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back