Myth or reality: Driving your new/flashy bimmer on Malaysian roads is trouble

freshie

Contemplating a drive up the NS Highway to KL this weekend on my new ride.

But have heard many horror stories of 'luxury marques' being robbed/stopped/cornered/what have you on the NS highway.

What's your take? Is this a myth or reality? Of course, there are some 101 stuff I should already know, but besides those, what else is under the radar...

btw, separate question - is it too early to take a new ride on such a long drive (

Re: Myth or reality: Driving your new/flashy bimmer on Malaysian roads is trouble

these are what i do

a. i don't drive at wee hours just to reach kl by dawn.
b. reach KL parked in a good hotel. valet parking with 24 hours monitoring better
c. if go shopping around kl, take cab. drive also very jialat. unless there is a reason to drive
d. at nsh only stopped over at big and popular rest&relax like air keroh, macap, etc
e. while driving in nsh, no point to cheong with people especially modded waja/perdana/civic/etc want to chio you. always drive defensively.

in term of new car going to kl, some might say ok ... actually new car already pre run-in in factory
some might say better drive long haul after car is > 1,000km so that the engine and parts have been warmed up
anyway, i don't see any problem lor ... just drive gently and enjoy :D

having said that, new and swee ride like yours do attract a lot of attention ... admirer and also 'thief' .... kekeke

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Myth or reality: Driving your new/flashy bimmer on Malaysian roads is trouble

Malaysia road is famous with robbers...so everyting being equal (ceterius peribus) and if you are a robber, will you rob someone in a flashy BMW or another one in a beat up Hyundai?

Unless its no robber but rapist then it depend who is in the car....Some like TTL and other may like big butts???

Rides with wrong offset attract unnecessary attention. :nehnehhh: Joke aside, zorro got valid points. I personally won't do it.

Dan Ong will tell u where got trouble. He 2hrs reach KL.

In most cases, you wont get rob on NSH.

But if you do, it means you are unlucky or did something stupid

My friend 2006 Toyota Wish was been marked and stolen in Tebrau Jusco. When it happen to you then you will have a story to relate, else just being complacent. I watch my back like an eagle once I step foot in JB soil on my E60.

Btw, fyi, when claimed insurance for loss, initially we thought the amount of claim will be the prevailing maket value minus LTA paper rebate value. In the end, we found out that once declared loss, it's based on the the full 100% market value. In his case, the total loss was assessed to be worth $50K market value even though his LTA rebate is $25K. Subsequently, he wants to buy his next car and has to disclose the full $50K total loss for loading, no insurance want to accept. In the end, he has to use his dad name to buy a 2nd insurance policy. Imagine if your total amount is $150k or $200K for your bimmer, think can kiss your next insurance coverage good bye for many years to go

Just last week as seen in a mycarforum, a 320i was being jacked in JB. Drive with care

Last edited by a moderator:

NSH is where the true Joy of motoring is. Com'on man, even Lambos/Ferraris get driven to Sepang.

Just do all the smart things and drive defensively and safely.

Well the only danger I am aware of when you drive a nicely polished BMW with bodykit, big rims, BBKs etc is when you are stopped by MY TP, they will talk c@ck with you to get more $$$. These days I keep my car dirty, the dirtier the better bcos if stopped I can negotiate less $$ with TP Hiadee. In fact I havent washed my car since I went up to Genting last weekend.

Driving up NSH and back is a joy(buying from PML is not) a chance to unleashed yr car's power. Quite often, I get Msian cars Jio or tailgate me, but I think they just wanna race rather than find trouble or jack my car. LAst week a white Msian modified Camry was tailing me from speeds of 120kmh to 200kmh. He didnt over take me but always try to keep up and tail gate me when traffic is moderate. I teached him a lesson when I floored at 5th gear and pulled 200-300m ahead of him in seconds, thanks to the twin turbos.

Mai Gia.....

I'd say it's a myth. Being from KL myself, now based in SG, I've driven everywhere in my ride and have not encountered any unpleasant experiences. Anyway, there are also many bimmers in Msia so it's not a big deal. You will enjoy the drive and get to test the limits of your car full throttle etc.

Well, when we see an SG number plate, there is tendency to 'tiong' you to see if you have the balls to go faster. Am guilty of it myself :)

Nevertheless, always be careful wherever you are and have a safe drive.

Words of advise... When msia car 'kiss' your ride on purpose(u will know), floor your throttle... Lost one rear bumper is cheaper than any other things... I personally experienced that before... Parked along the shoulder wanna KKNBCCB the driver... Skali realised got more than 1 car behind me... Immediately floor my fuel pedal... High speed chase me for a short distance and gave up in the end...

Myth defenitely myth
I enjoy driving to JB or KL

obviously not myth, just be careful..

those who think its myth and that JB is safe...are in absolute denial or they have not kena yet...i think we heard enuff either from the news or friends or friends of friends that such petty crime rates are higher compared to Spore...so dont be ignorant...I feel just be guarded...if u are gg just w yr gf or wife..not advisable..try travel in a bigger group.

I always feel...u kena nevermind...yr gf or wife kena...regret for life..so better be safe than sorry...or rather be a chicken than a dead duck...

I dont think its a myth neither it is so rampant...If you drive in NSH; do it during daylight where there are many cars on the road...The most common robbers in NSH is the police but many victims are willingly being robbed to save $$$$

Just came back from KL doing 160kmh most of the time and took 3 hours to reach Spore and didnt get robbed ..hehehe

There are a lot of flashy Malaysian car on the road also. Don't worry. Just take the normal precaution like always keep your door lock. Only stop at the big R&R like Pagoh, Ayer Keroh or Seremban. Lock the steering when park the car and always keep a look out at though car who tail gate you if you are not hog the road at that time. I travel to JB/Malaysia every weekend by my E46 and E60 and encounter no problem so far for last 8 years. Only been robbed once at second link by TP 8 years ago and now never kena because can spot them easily at the camera spot along the way.

My E39 is not consider to be flashy. No doubt it is Sg plate & has blue propeller badge.

Don't anal to ur surrounding. Keep driver license (& Ang Pow $) together with touch & go in somewhere handy. Occasionally, i drove on B road on certain stretch of NSH.

Most important of all, DON'T ROAD HOG.

I have been robbed in JB before, and I do not think it is a safe place for tourists.

But, is driving a "new/flashy bimmer" a cause for concerns?

Yes, it attracts eyeballs.

No, other marques kenna too. Unless one could show their crime statistics that luxury marques were victimised at the higher proportion based on total car-visitor population. Even then, one has to factor in cases that are not reported. In reality, it is the perception from hearsay, that luxury car owners fear of perceived wealth exposure, and other car owners fear the same !!! So, the fear will hit everyone driving into Malaysia, be it an S class or a RAV4. That's the state of how we think of social safety up north.

Then again, you could be mugged in London or Rome too.

The gist is to know how to protect and look out for signs of dangers, as purported by the rest of the forumers.

i concur. The problem is not with Malaysia. But with Singapore. The thing is that we are so used and complacent about the level of safety in Singapore that as time goes by your basic survival instincts disappear, making us easy targets. Everywhere else in the world, people do the smart thing, protect themselves, watch out for danger. It's like domesticated animals released into the wild. It's not the wild's fault that you kena makan, that's just how things are everywhere else. If you go holiday in Europe, America, Australia, etc, you should have the same level of viligence too. I'd readily say Singaporeans are the stupidest of the lot out there.

Agree, in the real world - sh1t happens, you jsut got to be careful, and singapore is almost unreal (at least in terms of safety).

hi,

I wont.

The car is too new, not sure if everything run well yet so if breakdown in NSH, then how ?

:)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kubet77vc

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back