New BMW 323 vs 2009 Lexus IS250

Re: New BMW 323 vs 2009 Lexus IS250

not sure abt u guys but my experience wif my RX8 is not so impressive when it comes to engine performance "on paper"........

the japs seems to over claimed a little on paper n when u actually dyno ur car there is very significant drop in performance in terms of hp n nm......

ie: e jdm auto rx8 r supposed to be 215hp on paper...... so far, non of e guys i've known have clocked more then 170hp on dyno (excluding TC & SC mod)....it is a good 20% drop in terms of hp reading.......

So, if e 2009 IS250 so to speak claims 212HP/260Nm...... r they able to deliver??? or just making it look good on paper due to consumer's demand n buying trend......

I've also taken into consideration on e issue abt on wheel n on crank......as compare to european rides, e difference in power reading has too big a gap......

As for e comfort, i have no doubt abt e driverbility as IS250 seats sure do keep u in place when it comes to sharp bends.....sound proof wise is 2 thumps up.......but as passenger, e IS250 seems unable to produce "tat kind of comfort" so to speak and room space is kind of a little cramp........

tats my point of view n how it triggers my deciding factor on e 325 instead....

for those who think otherwise, pls do not let my opinion affect ur decision......u'll need to see & feel for urself.................1 man's meat could be another man's poison....

cheerios...............

dsdfan;401992 said:
Tried pressing "ECT Power"? This really wakes the car up!

I find the auto transmission shifting is quite complex and elaborate on Lexus. It tries hard to guess what your intention is, while you try to guess what it is up to. E90 shifts are somewhat more straightforward and predictable.

Even though the IS250 is heavier than the 325, the Lexus' fuel consmption is superior at the expense of some responsiveness, I feel.
Believe the way the japs measure HP is based on HP at the crank , whilst the German's measure HP based on WHP (wheel horse power). Hence the 205 bhp on paper is relative....

The difference b/w hp at the crank and whp is that when you measure hp at the crank, your measuring it straight from the motor (factory hp specs are rated by this measure)... while measuring it at the wheels is just that, measuring the HP put out by the wheels... well hp ratings are lower when measured at the wheels because the power has to go through the transmission and then out to the wheels... you lose hp in the process.

Imagine punching the wall with your bare hands, it'll hit harder because the power came straight from my hand (kinda like measuring power from the crank) whereas punching the wall with a pillow in between my hand and the wall, the punch wont hit as hard because the punch lost some of its energy when going through the pillow, (just like the hp coming from the engine, through the transmission and into the wheels)

All car manufacturers quote HP at crank. And there's no standardization between car makers or even nationalities. Japanese quote PS or KW while Germans quote DIN HP/PS/KW while Americans quote HP.

Taken in isolation it is insufficient to just look at peak numbers. Peak torque and peak HP by themselves tell us nothing. We need to know gearing and the spread of the torque curve.

That is also why 0-100 km/h is the most overrated stat. Better to see in-gear acceleration from speed-to-speed. e.g. 80 to 120 km/h, 100 to 200 km/h. This eliminates variances in launching/traction issues and driver skill, and comes down only to the car.

Not sure how much the 325 is currently selling....

but I heard it thru the grapevine that if you bargain really hard..... for the IS250 Luxury ......you can have it for $120K - on condition it is registered before Dec 31.

how much is the 323 selling now ?

I heard that if you bargain hard - the IS250 Luxury can be had for S$120K - on condition that it is registered before Dec 31.

Cash is King !!

recently asked and was quoted 148 for 323 and 156 for the 325
SE told me the FL 323 engine has been tweaked for 190 bhp

You can get the new IS250 for S$118 if you show that you are very keen and before 31 Dec.

Just went on a test drive in the facelifted IS250. Like the facelifted 3 series, it is the same car repackaged with a new exterior: same engine, same suspension etc.,

It is noticeably quieter than my 1st generation IS250, due to extra layers sound insulation. Definitely, Lexus is pursuing a very different goal from BMW's 3 series. Disengagement vs. Engagement

Henry1515;404024 said:
You can get the new IS250 for S$118 if you show that you are very keen and before 31 Dec.

i tot the papers quoted $115k for the IS250? price increased with the drop in COE???

dsdfan;404162 said:
Just went on a test drive in the IS250. It is the same package, same engine, same suspension etc., except noticeably quieter than my 1st generation IS250, due to extra sound insulation. Definitely, Lexus is pursuing a very different goal from BMW's 3 series.

i test drove both, and the 2 are quite different cars. but the price differential is also huge! almost $30k.

personally i feel that 323 is better. i drove a 323 now till end of this year. Lexus IS250... think the passenger seat or the seats behind is quite limited if you are tall. the head space is limited

" tot the papers quoted $115k for the IS250? price increased with the drop in COE???"

There is the Luxury (under $120K) and the "normal" model that is going for $115K(without bi-xenon and Mark Levinson sound system).

IS250 luxury version with the all in package... ie xenon, tilting mirror, mark levinson...etc..etc....

went under the hammer for $116k...

imo, 323 and 325 price differential is not significant, and so personally will choose the 325 if the 3 is the choice.

henry2703;404524 said:
IS250 luxury version with the all in package... ie xenon, tilting mirror, mark levinson...etc..etc....

went under the hammer for $116k...

wow! only $116! any free maintenance thrown in? petrol vouchers?
any idea what the OMV is like?

fire_element2000;404241 said:
personally i feel that 323 is better. i drove a 323 now till end of this year. Lexus IS250... think the passenger seat or the seats behind is quite limited if you are tall. the head space is limited

agree, rear passenger space does feel smaller for the IS250. also, the "hump" is more pronounced, and 3rd passenger need to suffer : )

My wife who doesn't drive prefers Lexus IS250 because the seats are more cushy and the interior is more luxuroius. Did u guys find the BMW seats too firm? Do you start to feel uncomfortable after long drives/rides?

think it is a trade mark of bimmer seats, have always been firm. Personally i kinda like it that way. If anything, I would like it to be even firmer still. Do not like the sight of wrinkled leather. Actually enquired about the possibility of shoving more foam into the seats, but it require dismantling of seats which would trigger air bag.

Hi,
IMO, compared the OMV and then see if the price you paid for is worthy and meet your requirement.
If comparing $118k vs $155k, a different of $35k+, ones will have to decide to pay EXTRA to get a Ger vs Jap make, performance vs comfort etc.

Buy something that you feel like driving everyday with a smile on your face and NOT based on paper number of HP/Nm...if their delta is so small.

:)

ktnpl;424410 said:
My wife who doesn't drive prefers Lexus IS250 because the seats are more cushy and the interior is more luxuroius. Did u guys find the BMW seats too firm? Do you start to feel uncomfortable after long drives/rides?
If d seat is not firm, it will sag overtime. As d years go by, u will start to appreciate why the seat is so firm from day1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sv388ltda
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back