New E90 320i requires engine oil topup and no run in needed?

Yasanaki

Hi all,

I just gotten my 320i a couple of days back.
I was told that the engine oil level will drop for new engine and is normal.
I noticed via the computer that the level has started to decrease.

My question is

1) what level do we start to go refill?
2) Salesman said i have to buy the engine oil to top up but some say there should be a bottle inculded for us. Is my salesman dishonest or i do have to purchase?
3) Salesman also mentioned that there is no run-in needed and my next servicing is 12k. Is this true for new engines? My previous jap cars require run in of 5k (before we start rev-ing hard)
4) Last but not leaset, should i need to top up this engine oil, are there any place recommended to go as PML charges are high.

Thank you all.

Re: New E90 320i requires engine oil topup and no run in needed?

Pls note my answers in Bold Black

1) what level do we start to go refill?
Ans: The car's On Board Computer (OBC) will prompt you to top up and also the qty.

2) Salesman said i have to buy the engine oil to top up but some say there should be a bottle inculded for us. Is my salesman dishonest or i do have to purchase?
Ans: For my case, I purchased a bottle from my own pocket and my salesman didnt mention anything about free top ups.

3) Salesman also mentioned that there is no run-in needed and my next servicing is 12k. Is this true for new engines? My previous jap cars require run in of 5k (before we start rev-ing hard)
Ans: My salesman also told me to whack, no need run in, etc. He mentioned factory run in, I didnt do much run in also, my fren redlined my car when it was around 2000km old hahaha, anyways I gave him permission to whack, so Im pretty alright. 12k intervals, normally will be ard 16K interval changes, in local context, our weather is not really that encouraging for such long intervals, I will normally do an oil change around 7k km. As I will be keeping this car for sometime, I believe in more frequent oil changes. But its up to you really.

4) Last but not leaset, should i need to top up this engine oil, are there any place recommended to go as PML charges are high.
Ans: If OBC prompts you to top up, then you will need to top up, as for cheaper oil changes, there are quite a few places that can do the job, R2D, J4C, BVO, etc which you can find in our resources folder....

Run-in is not only for engine, but for transmission and the entire drivetrain, also brakes and rotors and pads.

There is no such thing as factory run in for everything. Even with today's shotpreened piston etc and nikasil lokasil etc cylinder lining etc. still got gearbox mah.

Just run it in according to instructions, if no instructions, just keep the revs below 4K for the next 1.5k km

That's true... U still have to run in your tires, brakes, transmission, etc. :)

my 2 cents worth....

they used to give out 1 litre bottle of engine oil. When the oil indicator hits minimum, top up the full bottle, and it will be alright. for the first top up, i would prefer to use the BMW oil, since i don't really like the idea of mixing oil. After the first service, i notice my oil level hasn't drop at all, and it has been 7000 km already.

As for the run-in, honestly, i feel that it is really for the peace of mind, more than anything else. But to be honest, i feel that the E90 engine is never really ran in, until you reach 18k to 20k. my car is about 20k now. It feels so much better than the first 20k. so, bear with it until you hit 20k... you will enjoy it more....

Thank you guys.

That cleared my doubts. Weird thing however is when i do the BC check on oil level, it shows please wait and never showed the level.

You will need to wait for a while. You may initiate a check and then drive off, it will display the level after a few minutes...

It will be a good habit to keep a bottle of engine oil (one litre or one quart also can) in your boot so that you may use it as and when require.

You may wish to check your car manual again under "Driving Tips" that discussed about the break-in period of our ride.

henry2703;412726 said:
my 2 cents worth....

As for the run-in, honestly, i feel that it is really for the peace of mind, more than anything else. But to be honest, i feel that the E90 engine is never really ran in, until you reach 18k to 20k. my car is about 20k now. It feels so much better than the first 20k. so, bear with it until you hit 20k... you will enjoy it more....

I fully agree, the car realli starts to stretch its legs after 15-20k on the odo.:)

astrosky;412939 said:
I fully agree, the car realli starts to stretch its legs after 15-20k on the odo.:)

+1 - car started to rev freer after crossing the 20k mark. Took me close to 2 years!

hi,

Read the owner's manual....they did mentioned about running-in...if i am not wrong, first 2000km, rev below 4500rpm.

:)

thank was looking for this type of newbie discussion too ...

also i check with the SE about servicing and he show me a table, apparently cost about $200 for 12 k servicing, are there additional cost?

if someone happens to have some insight on this ...
I saw different indication of HP for the 320i. i.e. some website show 156 HP while the official BMW website show 170 HP !. are they using a different context or was the 156 outdated?

echo;426873 said:
if someone happens to have some insight on this ...
I saw different indication of HP for the 320i. i.e. some website show 156 HP while the official BMW website show 170 HP !. are they using a different context or was the 156 outdated?
This is ur best fren:
List of BMW engines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For 2L IL-4, there are 2 version:
N42: Port injection. Available outside of Europe. 156hp.
N43: Direct injection. Available ONLY in Europe. 170hp.

The $200k probably includes - $ 123(oil)+$20(filter)+$55(labor)....there shouldn't be any additional charges if it is just for oil change....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vip777orgph
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back