New F10 - 520 and 528 twin power turbo is here!!

Re: New F10 - 520 and 528 twin power turbo is here!!

wt_know;696353 said:
u da man :thumbsup:
u need bbk to compliment ur f14 20" ...

I agree... but that one big ticket item... must breath first.... :cool:

haha..later change 528 first is it?

Bro ur forgestar f14 is swee swee, damn tempting... Can share px? I considering BMW Cross spoke 312 20" what u think?

Ahwing;696373 said:
Bro ur forgestar f14 is swee swee, damn tempting... Can share px? I considering BMW Cross spoke 312 20" what u think?

312 grey is one of best looking OEM rim. But it is like 3-4kg heavier per wheel compared to forged.

helbreath;696374 said:
312 grey is one of best looking OEM rim. But it is like 3-4kg heavier per wheel compared to forged.

Ahhhh u got a point there... Ok bro, am tempted on f14....

Ahwing;696373 said:

Pm'ed u on forgestar. Agree with helbreath on weight for OEM wheels. Too heavy, especially on 523.

U can also look at the new model CF10. Uses same form flow technology to attain light weight n toughness similar to forge rims but at more reasonable price.

Deleted due to double posting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Now for a review and decision on 4 pots turbos.

It was already raining when I arrived at Alexandra PML. My SE drove out 520 and came out of the driver's seat to let me drive it. Immediate I can hear a noticeable clatter from the engine, sounds not unlike a taxi! I was amazed and ask him why like that. He replied that this is the trait of a Beemer 4 potter.

Then I drove into the main road and immediately rev the engine hard. I heard a long whine but the car hardly accelerate much. The reply was again because it is the characteristic of a 520 with detuned engine. When I moved off again at the traffic lights, this time slowly increasing the throttle and revving it high gradually, the engine sounds much better. Using paddle shifters at the steering wheels also yielded good results. Engine don't sound whiny like earlier.

Stop/start function was a constant pain in the butt for my SE who couldn't stop complaining about it. I was ok with it, maybe because he disable after 2 stops. Need getting used to I guess.

The 520 felt relatively more powerful than my ah pek E200k. Engine is smooth and relatively torquey when not push hard at low speed. Surprise, surprise, it now comes with GPS and 10" screen. Rejoice for those eyeing this model. However, I won't change my creamy 523 for this. :nehnehhh::nehnehhh:

When I asked to test drive the 528, I was told it already conked out. What?! In less than 1 week? So much for a reliable new N20 turbo engine. Anyway, we had to proceed to Dunearn Sime Darby for the test drive.

The 528 comes with additional soft close door and electric curtains. Other than that, just the usual bells and whistles of the 523 high line, GPS, internet, 18" rims, wood trims, etc. Before the test drive, I already gave it big discount due to earlier 520 test drive. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The engine tune seems a whole lot better. This is definitely a quick and fun car to drive. Engine sound is pleasant when pushed hard but still a notch below the i6 acoustics. The test drive didn't last too long.... mainly because of the non stop rain.

My final evaluation:

1) 520 - Good for those who wants the BMW marque but seldom drive above 3k RPM. Suitable for the towkays and tai tais. 180 bhp enough for them.

2) 528 - Great and fun car to drive. Powerful engine. 240 bhp on the tap.

3) 523 - Very suitable for singapore city driving, sounds wonderful when pushed hard. Makes u want to rev all the way to the redline. Great for the auto purists. Award winning i6 engine is not be scoffed at even if just 206bp.

So the 64 thousand dollar question: will I opt for the 528? The answer is no. Not worth the 23k premium I have to cough out... considering I already have a fantastic deal on the 523 and now need to cough it all back out and on top of that, pay a premium for buying a new model. Not wise.

This is my final answer! I have slain the demon in the 528! :biggun::nutkick:

Hi ST,

nice review there.......

IL6 rocks........
cheers

putting 4 potters in 5ers still feels somewhat weird to me even though they can say its comes with turbo etc.
me old school.....320, 5ers and above should be 6 potters n above....hahaha
turbo-charged 4 potters at most function well in small models like the new A4 or 318...hehe
screw the road tax...hahaha
just my personal 2 cents

sszone;696475 said:
putting 4 potters in 5ers still feels somewhat weird to me even though they can say its comes with turbo etc.
me old school.....320, 5ers and above should be 6 potters n above....hahaha
turbo-charged 4 potters at most function well in small models like the new A4 or 318...hehe
screw the road tax...hahaha
just my personal 2 cents
Ditto. Nothing less than IL6.

237k. Around 222k after discount and overtrade....

Totally agree with ST.. Test drive after him.

Still if the price is better I would have gone the 528 route. Deal now is 63k Coe for that car and minimum discount according to SE. Is quite a fun car to drive to me compare to 523i. As for the engine sound wise I think is subjective. I can accept it given it is a turbo and not IL6..but to lose our higher Coe,discount + higher top up to change.... I will hold my horses... Also reading US forums do not give me the confident to be the first owner of this new set up N20 with turbo. If it turns out well... More will be made, can get later. If ppl hates BMW for the 4cycl.. Then I will be shooting my feet to buy first.

520i... Don't waste time. I think I rather buy 523i HL. Higher road tax but... The specs etc not impressive at all. Highline only do not have the suction door(gd to have for me)
and electric curtain(not really useful to me) and of course turbo compare to 528i.. But deal is so much better.

I will say choose btw 523i HL and 528i. 520i don't bother.

what is the omv for F10 520i and 528i vs 523i HL?

I think getting a 6 cylinder engine makes more sense than a 4, even if the 4 is on turbo.

But the price difference between 520 and 523hl is not that narrow.

newbie88;696513 said:
But the price difference between 520 and 523hl is not that narrow.

IIRC, the 520 is about 15-17k cheaper than the 523HL. But I think the comparison should be made with the 523 not the HL version. And the difference there is less than 5k?

Jase;696510 said:
I think getting a 6 cylinder engine makes more sense than a 4, even if the 4 is on turbo.
Especially now still have big discount n o/t for 523. Stock limited. MTL.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Personalizedgiftsforu

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back