New Rims & Spacers - How much vibration is too much vibration?

edlms

Hi Guys,

Just changed rims from stock PS2 F245/40/18 R265/40/18 to Yoko Advan Sport F245/35/19 R275/30/19.

Had to put in 20mm spacers front and rear and now when I brake from more than 60km/h, there is some vibration from the front. It's not too bad, but noticeable... how do I describe it? Something like computer game controller vibration...

Maybe on a scale of 0 - 10, where 0 is no vibration and 10 is steering wheel shuddering violently, it's about a 3.

Is this ok or should I remove the spacers? At higher speeds of 100 km/h everything ok.

Help please?

Cheers.

Re: New Rims & Spacers - How much vibration is too much vibration?

Edwin, why get rims that are of not the right offset to you? Are the spacers original or custom?

original eibachs. changed from stock to yoko conneissuers 103 (not sure spelling, but i'm sure you're familiar)

was told that the rims would fit and if not the spacers would not prove a problem. the fronts could do without the spacers but visually not as nice cos too set into arches. tire guy willing to refund front spacers if i'm not happy...

thanks.

i have used various spacers from 5mm to 18mm to 20mm... never had any vibrations even at high speed 150kmh +

why dont u change to a rim that has proper offset for ur beloved M3 :) its an M3 bro :)

it might not be spacer's fault.... might be the rim also..try doing high speed balancing or removing the spacers...

and why did u sacrifice PS2 for yoko advant sport... :(

sigh...
I kinda liked the new rims but they didn't have the right offsets, and was advised by the tire guy that the spacers shouldn't be a prob. double sigh...

I decided to keep the PS2 and stock rims for the track since no spacers needed and I'd be confident of the whole set during tracking. Once the PS2 are worn, I can change to semi-slicks for track work.

The vibrations only come on when I brake, and I'm told that this is relatively common and may go away after a week. I've had the new rims on for 3 days now, but doesn't seem to get better.

Here's some photos...

cheers

bro...is that a japanese wheel?

i think u need centre ring/hubcentric ring..... custom a centre ring....

dun think its the spacer's fault... some single piece forged japanese wheels need centre ring to be installed to prevent vibration.... i have centre ring on my previous volk racing too..

edlms;297385 said:
sigh...
I kinda liked the new rims but they didn't have the right offsets, and was advised by the tire guy that the spacers shouldn't be a prob. double sigh...

I decided to keep the PS2 and stock rims for the track since no spacers needed and I'd be confident of the whole set during tracking. Once the PS2 are worn, I can change to semi-slicks for track work.

The vibrations only come on when I brake, and I'm told that this is relatively common and may go away after a week. I've had the new rims on for 3 days now, but doesn't seem to get better.

Here's some photos...

cheers

Hello, glad to see your photos here -- worth reversing my car out of the way :wavey:

u bought it from raymond? try and ask him if he has or can custom one... best is if u can email manufacturer and ask whats the exact thickness of the centre ring needed..

edlms;297395 said:
yups...
want to do it but don't know where. got kang tow, thanks?

but got this type of issue, may want to sell and get the 19" Schemeiden Indv that's posted on another thread. trying to get details from there. think Ah Beng posted the thread.

Cheers.

go for VOLKS or HRE

just my 2 cents...

ml2spin;297398 said:
Hello, glad to see your photos here -- worth reversing my car out of the way :wavey:

Ah... nice to see you trolling the forum.

Terry, thanks bro! my belief in spacers has been shaken, so while I will definitely take your advice and remedy the issue temporarily, I may still let these rims go. especially since I wanted to take these rims and tires for B-road drives in Malaysia. sigh...

Going to ask a rookie question... What is the effect of the vibrations? any damage caused? any performance or safety issues? or is it just not nice...

thanks.

cheers.

apparently there is no big issue if ur bolts are long enough...

my previous privat rims has vibration issue...solved with centre ring...

my previous replica M5 rims got vibration issue... cannot be solved because the 'gap' is too small to put any centre ring... checked with a few shops.they say no danger... just 'gao wei'..

i have used eibach spacer 15mm...no vibrations noted...
used schmidt spacer 20mm... also no vibration
used custom 18mm spacer made locally...no vibrations too...

i really suspect its the rim... then again... many shops and people claim there is no danger... then again.. vibrations at high speed... freak the hell out of me... i rather be safe than sorry

Harmonics are never a good thing (quicker wear if not damage), and in this case they are avoidable, so you should do whatever it takes to get it back to normal.

yr castor arm bushings will wear out very fast due to vibration..
edlms;297415 said:
thanks bro.
just came back from an airport run.

at slightly higher speeds got a little vibration. "gao wei" is the right way to describe the feeling. not the planted feel of the stock rims and tires.

cheers.

Bro,
I think is the center bore problem, for BMW there are 2 sizes only, 72.5mm & 74mm .yours should be running on 72.5mm . please check the center bore of your new rims..

Cheersss

dave;297600 said:
Bro,
I think is the center bore problem, for BMW there are 2 sizes only, 72.5mm & 74mm .yours should be running on 72.5mm . please check the center bore of your new rims..

Cheersss

thanks!
if this is the issue, does that mean if i do a centre ring like terry advised, everything should be ok. or should i just forget about spacers...?

thanks again.

cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
win79boston
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back