Noise from E90 320i engine

diesel78sg

Hi all,

Recently noticed a 'tiak tiak tiak' sound from my engine.
Not very loud but can hear it.
Anyone knows what problem it possibly could be?

Re: Noise from E90 320i engine

I have a similar issue. I can hear the 'tiak tiak' sound from outside the car after driving. But upon closer check, it appears that the sound is somewhere from the rear wheels/back of the car area. I might be wrong tho.

Any seniors can advise? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

You really have to "narrow down" where the sound MIGHT BE coming from when it appear.
There's 101 possible scenario...

thought this engine sounds like that? is normal...

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

air con water dripping on exhaust ? My previous ride everyday like that .......

I think is normal for 4 cylinder, ever ask a mechanic, he said is the chain sound...

I heard this before when I was looking out for the E60s back then. Noticed this is a common sound for most of the used e60s though. However, the sound actually disappears after the engine warms out. Similarly, the dealer told me its the chain or fan belt which needs greasing...

as long as it doesnt affect the sheer driving pleasure, i think its fine. But if it bothers you..have it thoroughly checked.

If the sound increases in frequency with the engine rpm.....maybe it's the valve lifter.

If its from the rear. Prob it's the differential gonna up lorry. Tts what happened to my fren e90

Just an update.
Managed to solve the problem by replacing the pulley at the alternator.
Seems like a common problem for E90.
Lucky no need to replace compressor like wat some other workshop propose.
No solving the problem and wasting $.

diesel78sg;973032 said:
Hi all,

Recently noticed a 'tiak tiak tiak' sound from my engine.
Not very loud but can hear it.
Anyone knows what problem it possibly could be?

Along the way got check the other belts and tensioners etc ?

diesel78sg;997916 said:
Just an update.
Managed to solve the problem by replacing the pulley at the alternator.
Seems like a common problem for E90.
Lucky no need to replace compressor like wat some other workshop propose.
No solving the problem and wasting $.

Red_Bean_Bun;997927 said:
Along the way got check the other belts and tensioners etc ?

Visually I look at the belts, seems ok.
Im not sure if the ws guys inspect though. Haha.
Anw the the noise is gone after the pulley replacement.

May be low engine oil and oil sensor typically not that accurate/sensitive.

I have read somewhere on this issue when I was buying my E90 and one of the cars I viewed has this issue hence the research. If you rev a bit on your accelerator and the ticking sounds seem to be in synced with your rpm then most probably it is a valve lifter thingy having not enough oil or something like that. Apparently BMW released a note saying it is harmless.

I am not 100% sure whether I can post link here. Anyone needs some further information I can PM you one of the link that I read from.

Sorry to hijack, I had a different sound issue.
Driving a e90 323i 3.5yrs old. When cold start in the morning, it will have a short noise (slit second) just before the car gets ignited 'like gear teeth running each other, something like manual car slip its clutch when changing gears' but it occur very seldom, maybe like 1 every 2 weeks, sometime once a month.
Anyone have to same issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

Monstar3;998702 said:
Sorry to hijack, I had a different sound issue.
Driving a e90 323i 3.5yrs old. When cold start in the morning, it will have a short noise (slit second) just before the car gets ignited 'like gear teeth running each other, something like manual car slip its clutch when changing gears' but it occur very seldom, maybe like 1 every 2 weeks, sometime once a month.
Anyone have to same issue?

I am guessing starter motor .....

allx;973038 said:
I have a similar issue. I can hear the 'tiak tiak' sound from outside the car after driving. But upon closer check, it appears that the sound is somewhere from the rear wheels/back of the car area. I might be wrong tho.

Any seniors can advise? Thanks in advance.

Yap.. I got this sound too... after driving engine off... step out of the car .. can hear the tiak tiak sound from the middle or rear wheel of the car from undercarriage...

thinking can it be the exhaust steel expend and contraction... (DUN KNOW Just guessing)

Anyone can advise ?

I think it is the valve lifter issue. Oil not lubricating it enough or something like that. Rev and ur engine to confirm. If tiak tiak sound frequency syncs with rev rpm then most probably it is.

BMW-GK;999510 said:
Yap.. I got this sound too... after driving engine off... step out of the car .. can hear the tiak tiak sound from the middle or rear wheel of the car from undercarriage...

thinking can it be the exhaust steel expend and contraction... (DUN KNOW Just guessing)

Anyone can advise ?

I am also having the same problem. When I am driving between 20-40km/h there is water like running sound somewhere in the front uncarriage. When I slow down I also heard the same noise. Can anyone advise. Thank you in advance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
333wincomco
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back