One issue after another...

Re: One issue after another...

C3P0;603181 said:
Hi Ben,
Yes my previous e46 needs toP up every 1-2k km. Ur 2-3k km top is definitely unusual, and like what wt_know said, just bring to any workshop and they can diagnose for u. I seriously doubt total access to ECU is required; even if needed, the workshop should be able to handle it with their equipment. I'm no expert so I won't know what actually is wrong, but most cases it's some gasket or piping leakage due to old age.
I did mine at R2D in Bt Batok. Other workshops include J4C, Boss and BVO at Sin Ming. All contacts available in Sponsors' page. Good luck and do feedback to us after everything is settled so we can all learn from it. Cheers.

Thanks to bro wt, e90koh, James and C3PO for your advice and sharing. Coincidentally, I had already scheduled to bring in my ride to R2D for a change of fresh gearbox/diff lube, so will get them to investigate this peculiar issue as well. Also, I did some googling and discovered a thread in BMWMalaysia forum that was discussing the same issue. A bro there described his solution of replacing the "the oil separator which has been clogged and full of oil sludge and its accesories (hoses etc)", so that might be another root cause besides the usual suspects.

Thread here: How Often you top up engine oil (E60)

I shall update everyone of the progress to recovery. Hopefully, it's not terminal.

Cheers,
Ben

Hi James,

Thanks for the details. Really informative.

Wonder whether how would the situation affect the running of the GB if left as it is?

Hi bros, just thought I'll provide an interim update.

Went down to Rod's place to change out my gb and diff oils and have him take a look at the mystery of the rapidly depleting engine oil. Found out that there's no oil separator on my ride so swapping that out cant be the remedy. Next we decided to let the oil out to find out if the sensor is giving false feedback and lo and behold it's really only holding 5.5L~. So assuming the last topup at 78k was to a full 7L, that means I would have lost 0.75L/1000km. There was also no sign of oil leakage at the bottom. Bad news.

Rod advised to refill with Voltronic engine oil and continue to monitor the situation. Best case would be an accumulation of sludge in the piston slip rings that prevents them from cleaning the sides of the cylinder wall efficiently or simply a matter of the quality of oil. If this is the case, a fresh change of oil and perhaps subsequently an engine flush might work. Doomsday case scenario will be a failure of the seals and that means having to blueprint the engine and basically replace the piston rings and valve seat seals.

What I cant understand is that the car has been faithfully observing the engine oil change intervals every 7 to 9k for the past 3 years, so how can this happen? Only main recent change related to the engine is the installation of PB and the use of Caltex 98 fuel.

Cheers,
Ben

alvant;602052 said:

yea bro, thx for the ride the other day. anyway seems to have whole lot of smaller issue. think still gg back pml to flash my ecu then go find rod do thorough accessment. sounds like some belt of bearing lose... got whistling sound....

Casa;605312 said:
yea bro, thx for the ride the other day. anyway seems to have whole lot of smaller issue. think still gg back pml to flash my ecu then go find rod do thorough accessment. sounds like some belt of bearing lose... got whistling sound....

What whistling sound do u mean?

James1500;605363 said:
What whistling sound do u mean?

it is a high pitch whistling sound coming from the bonnet, sounds like worn belt or bearing issue. especially loud when engine is cold.... accerleration will make it more distint.

and i realise my rpm during idle is inconsistence too...

sigh.... :shakehea:

Casa;605503 said:
it is a high pitch whistling sound coming from the bonnet, sounds like worn belt or bearing issue. especially loud when engine is cold.... accerleration will make it more distint.

and i realise my rpm during idle is inconsistence too...

sigh.... :shakehea:

I see, thanks for the info. I will keep a look out. I do have engine winding down sound when I am slowing down, is it normal?

James1500;605644 said:
I see, thanks for the info. I will keep a look out. I do have engine winding down sound when I am slowing down, is it normal?

actually i am not sure too. but i sat in my fren LCI 6mths old e90, none of those sound is heard. yesterday i went to R2D, Darryl told me could be belt slippage, change of belt or tightening of tension will help. but his workshop is full yesterday he need to jack up the car to check. arranging for another appt.

but i realise something today. the sound is coming from just 1 of the aircon vent.
i close off driver side 2 vent, passenger side 1 vent, and listen. the sound came from there.

i open up the 3 vent i closed and close the 1 vent at the passenger side. tada the sound is gone... hmm... now i wonder again... where exactly is the prob. will let R2D know of this finding.

let you know after i jack up my car for full accessment.

Hi all

Need help my current 318 with sunroof, the sun roof doesn't close completely as in not fully flushed with the car body when closed. As a result there is wind sound when car is driven. Does anyone know what's the problem thanks

they probably didn't fit the rubber thingy properly.
can go back to PML to get them to rectify it

Thanks. A bit mOre info. It was working fine for the past 3-4 weeks. It's most logical to go back to pml since it's under warranty just sian the waiting they are notorious for.

James1500;587257 said:
Finally saved enough to buy myself a Nov '06 E60 523i early Sept 10... Has been close to 2 months but....

1. Upon collection of car, gear box issue - Lurching forward when coming to a stop. Fault was being rectified by TWM, 3 attempts since but since persist. Going for the 4th operation soon...

2. Rims up to 19" - Road handling was wobbling. Rectified Suspension bushes and lower arms.

3. Head rest knocking sound - Irritating...

4. Noise in cabin - Issue rectified.

5. Exhaust rattling - still ongoing..

6. and TODAY - Engine Overheating!!!

I really don't believe I am so bloody "suay"... but I have to concede... Bottom line to all BM W2B, please dun send your vehicle to STA, everything were certified As & Bs. Go to the professionals to have your car diagnosed thoroughly before committing.

:(:(:furious::furious::whythis:

I share yr frustration. I got my 4y4m 320i @ 80kkm. After 1m+, OBC flashed low coolent level, so cooling system got leaking & rolling sound front right wheel......sianz

With all the problems, i still enjoy the drive. i have learn to accept the fact that this car is not perfect. Consider the problems as flu and cough, which needs frequent TCM or visits to the doctor. :D

dear brothers, just sharing my experience...
i am a 1st time beemer owner and bought an 2007 Pre FL E90 in Aug 2010 and the mileage a bit on the high side 113K...when i first saw it, i immediately fell in love with it and instantly signed for it (quite reckless, i suppose)...i was given 1 year of TWM warranty and I have not been there yet as my servicing is not due...since day 1, my car has not given me any problems...i just love the feel of my car and everyday i smile when i am driving...i guess i can count myself lucky that probably the previous owner changed some parts ( i didnt have the service records ) ... thus i would like to think that i am starting with a "new" care...i live by this philosophy..."If you take care of the car, the car will take care of you"...as simple as that :)

asri22;625698 said:
dear brothers, just sharing my experience...
i am a 1st time beemer owner and bought an 2007 Pre FL E90 in Aug 2010 and the mileage a bit on the high side 113K...when i first saw it, i immediately fell in love with it and instantly signed for it (quite reckless, i suppose)...i was given 1 year of TWM warranty and I have not been there yet as my servicing is not due...since day 1, my car has not given me any problems...i just love the feel of my car and everyday i smile when i am driving...i guess i can count myself lucky that probably the previous owner changed some parts ( i didnt have the service records ) ... thus i would like to think that i am starting with a "new" care...i live by this philosophy..."If you take care of the car, the car will take care of you"...as simple as that :)
The way u upkeep the car is more reckless than you buy it. I will sent it in for inspection 2 service within a mth getting the car.

Hi i m collecting my jan 06 523 from dealer tomorrow. Now very stress haha...brace myself for the worst but this thread has been most helpful. Cheersss

Terras14;626011 said:
Hi i m collecting my jan 06 523 from dealer tomorrow. Now very stress haha...brace myself for the worst but this thread has been most helpful. Cheersss

Hi Terras,

all the best........................

* tonight cant sleep ya?
cheers

Hi all shifu,

This thread have been very informative. Good job.
Anyway here's my problem, newbie here.

I notice my ride e60 523 06 , mileage 96k have this so call jerking.
But the jerking only happened while waiting for traffic to change during
Stationary position, unlike what was mention beforehand the car jerk before it stop etc.

It feels like the car is coughing. Idling looks nice when it cough idle moves , drive is good too.
The jerk is not violent type, actually quite gentle but still can feel in the cabin.
Estimated any every 10 junction jerk 3 junction while waiting..
O ya jerking happens only in drive mode. Try neutral no jerk.

Pls advice, thks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe u can try to prg yr gearbox at pml. Just did mine so far so good, smooth n silky gearbox.

evo8778;626301 said:
Maybe u can try to prg yr gearbox at pml. Just did mine so far so good, smooth n silky gearbox.

Bro can advise the damage and waiting time?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
good88wine
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back