One RFT tyre down (possibly) :(

Re: One RFT tyre down (possibly) :(

wilman2772;464951 said:
Well said....but our BMW TPMS won't tell you which tire is leaking.....& the stupid warning only comes when the tire pressure is way low.....kinda too late liao.....hahahaha

'The Great White'
is rather dissapointed why BMW made such stupid gadget:biggun: as by brother The great white haha
anyway you are right that this BMW original pressure sensor does not indicate you which tyre is loosing air:naughty:
that is why that have to equiped with runflat tyre
to beware of not all alloy wheel can installed aftermarket TPMS which required a flat bay for TPMS to be sitted properly,unlike the BMW original TPMS system is installed on some where brake ABS :nehnehhh:

Actually, that's a good point. Why didn't BMW enable its system to pinpoint which tyre was low on pressure. I know it's not hard to figure this one out yourself but it would have been an easy thing to do for the system, right? If the system can detect that a tyre is low on pressure, it should also be able to identify the tyre.

Doh!

Jase;465073 said:
Actually, that's a good point. Why didn't BMW enable its system to pinpoint which tyre was low on pressure. I know it's not hard to figure this one out yourself but it would have been an easy thing to do for the system, right? If the system can detect that a tyre is low on pressure, it should also be able to identify the tyre.

Doh!
maybe in the new model this will be a new feature. hehe

agreed that if it can detect that one wheel has more rotations then the rest (how system works currently). shld not be a problem sending feedback as to which of the 4 is causing it.

Btw when we change to after market rims. Do we need to remove some sensors off the old rims and shift to the new rims?

nemesis_v;466847 said:
Btw when we change to after market rims. Do we need to remove some sensors off the old rims and shift to the new rims?
For BMW no need .
only thing is you need to do resetting every time you touch your wheels is possible.
wondering those workshop people know how to reset them or all bimmer owner got to figure it out by yourself:dance:
i heard nissan GTR the tpms have to transfer to new wheel and even neeed to know the position too,otherwise the control panel will not read the info/data properly
that is my DReam car haha NOw TanChong decided to bring in this Supercar

nemesis_v;466847 said:
bmw sensors r not like other TPMS systems. it actually detacts number of rotations on all 4 wheels, if one or more has rotations much more than others, chances r it is deflated and will send a warning signal. The sensors r not on the wheels. Its quite easy to reset the sensors, u can do it urself rather than allow tyre shops to do it for u.

Jase;464704 said:
Hi folks,

My RFT indicator came on the other day (red, not yellow). I was surprised as to why as my tyres are in pretty good condition (my 320i is about 2.5 years old with less than 25k mileage) and I've also gotten my tyres rebalanced not too long ago etc. Also, I'm using stock tyres.

Anyway, I went to the gas station to check the tyre pressure and pump air. As it turns out, the air pressure of my right rear tyre was quite low while the other 3 tyres seemed ok. I filled them up with air and went on my merry way.

That said, I suspect that the tyre is losing air. It's not punctured but perhaps there's an issue with the valve somewhere. So, I plan to get this looked into and was hoping for some help from the pros here.

1. Which tyre-place would you recommend? I stay in Katong so somewhere nearby would be great.

2. Assuming that there's a leak, I guess I'll need to consider repairing the leak (if possible) or changing tyres. If I'm able to repair the leak, is this safe? I don't do long distance driving too often though I do make occasional trips to KL.

3. If I have to replace the tyre, I believe I'll need to replace them in pairs, right? Anyone know how much RFTs cost these days? Or have any recommendations? I know people may disagree but I'd like to keep to RFTs at least for the time being.

Thanks! :)

I actually just replaced my tires recently. Was running on the OEM RFT. Hit a huge rock in the front right tire and burst the side wall, had no choice but to replace them. Change the front two to Pirelli RFT from Autobacs, $300 each. Shack. Had no time to look around as it's a Sunday, went to Stamford but they ran out of RFT. Only can think of Autobacs then... heart pain.... my mileage on the OEM set of RFT was 18K. So no choice, just change it out. So unlucky, after about 800km, one of the new front tire got hit by a screw. The warning came up and went to check and found the stupid screw. So drove to Stamford and had it patch.

Yesterday I just changed my rear 2 OEM RFT tires cos one of them is showing a bulge on the sidewall. Had 19K on them. This time I wanted to change them to normal tires. Was looking at the Hankook promotion. Went down to the shop, they guy recommend that I should use all RFT instead of mixing the front RFT and rear normal tyres. So change to the Hankook RFT since there is a promotion too. More expensive than the normal tires, but cheaper than the Pirelli RFT. Cost $190 each. So far feels ok. The OEM tire i just changed out yesterday also had a leak previsouly. It's pressure is usually lower than the rest, slow leaking. Went to Stamfrod and did a patch before and it was running fine.

FYI, I went to Stamford to have them take a look at my tyre. As expected, there was a nail snuggled neatly in the tyre. They removed it and plugged the leak. Tyre is working well now. This is a great relief. I'll continue to drive with this tyre but will soon explore new tyre options. In the meantime, I just wanted to say a big thank you to those of you who replied and offered your help. It's greatly appreciated :)

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back