Opinions on 17" tyres

poverello

Am going to swap from 16" to 17" rims. Any opinions on 5-series folks out there on which brands I should consider. I value comfort, quiet and responsive drive with reasonable acceleration.

Re: Opinions on 17" tyres

Hi bro,

Personally, I think u should consider a minimum of 18" rims w/o runflat tires for asethetics.
Some of my frens have upgraded from 16" to 17" on continental cars and have regretted that they did not go for 18".

yeap that's right..you'd be disappointed at the lack of any significant visual difference..either you go for 18 or don't make the move first. of course provided you're willing to pay more for bigger rims and the cost of bigger tyres

if you're intending for the rims to look as big as possible, try to choose a rim with spokes that reach all the way to the edge and without lip. And don't spray it black..

Get Michelin Pilot Sport Preceda II

I'm a proponent of fat tyres and to hell with the aesthetics. Of course, don't make it look like a monster truck at 15".... 17 is fine. Good sidewall compliance, good ride. Get the light rim, Oz Ultraleggera, and I agree with 3M - Pilot Preceda 2.

Given your criteria, I think you can safely stick with 17" rather than 18." Especially if you will be carrying passengers on a regular basis. Larger wheel sizes are a bit like stiletto heels - they look damn sexy but are absolute murder on the feet of the wearer (not that I've worn high heels before!). The Preceda is reportedly a good tyre, but don't overlook equivalent models in Bridgestone, my preferred brand.

Hard to say which Bridgestone models would be an exact equivalent, but I'd start with an Adrenalin RE001 (performance bias) or a Turanza ER300 (comfort bias). These are the models available in Australia - can't say whether they would be available in Singapore. I've assumed you don't need run-flats.

I will probably go for a michelin preceda pp2. Based on my criteria for performance as well as comfort and quiet ride.

TripleM;264986 said:
Get Michelin Pilot Sport Preceda II

:whythis:

Sorry but I think there is quite a bit of misinformation here which I feel necessary to correct if I may:

No such thing as Michelin Pilot Sport Preceda 2 !
Michelin Pilot Preceda 2 (also known as PP2) is about half the price of Michelin Pilot Sports 2.
I used to have the PP2 on my older E39. To me, the PP2 was prone to vibration and too stiff a ride for old folks sitting in the car.
I have the Pilot Sports 2 (also known as PS-2) on my current car. This is definitely streets ahead of the PP2 in terms of grip and steering feel. Cornering is too easy now.

About larger tires, the bigger it is the more uncomfortable it may become. Most low profile tires have to be driven very slowly over speed bumps.

talking about Mich PS2 this tyre shop @ joo chiat quote me $700 & $800 for 235/35 & 265/30/19 respectively...CRAZY right?!!!!!

how much is a Mich PS2 for 17inch?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vip777orgph
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back