please tell me it is not a gear box problem

Re: please tell me it is not a gear box problem

redline15 said:
BTW, what tipped me over to BMW instead of VW or Audi is the high paper value....

What tipped me over to BMW instead of VW and Audi was this busty chick called Estelle, nick AMV12.

Thought I could have laid her...

funny statement to make that BMW gearboxes will up lorry at xxx km...

How come nobody blames the driver for not maintaining it or being too spirited in engaging the SMG/Manual gear? BMW mah, must drive fast

Hahahah.... now i know the significance for your nice signature :)

kenntona;916771 said:
What tipped me over to BMW instead of VW and Audi was this busty chick called Estelle, nick AMV12.

Thought I could have laid her...

Have a look at sgcarmart. You will notice the OMV for beemer is higher than Audi and VW :)

I'm referring to the older beemers from 2006 to 2008.... not sure about the newer ones.

Oilman;916761 said:
Is that right? I thought BMW has the lowest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yup, thats the reason why i'm eyeing a beemer, it's paper value for 06'-08' is one of the highest for standard makes.

If got to scrap the car, at least dun lugi so much. VW jetta at less than $28k while Passat is in the range of $30k nia..

But you how great was the diff in price was 3 and 5 series when they were new in 06-08 ?
Definitely far higher than jetta and passat

When you buy a BMW, have it looked over by a shop. You can tell alot about the gearbox by the adaptation values stored within the EGS. Both sets of figures will tell you about the health of the gearbox clutches and solenoids. Both wear differently and will require different repair techniques.

oh yes, dropping the pan to access the mechatronics unit (valve body) is really not a gearbox overhaul. For that, the entire gearbox is removed from the car and dismantled into little bits and pieces......lots of little bits and pieces....

good luck.

r3voX;918388 said:
vw's omv is super low...

Hi R2D,

Thanks for your advise.

Will it be possible if i were to send the ride over for your inspection?

Hi R2D

I'm really new here.

What's the best way to prevent gear box problem? I drive an E90 2008 at about 63000 km at the moment.

Many thanks for your advise,

In my opinion, there is no proven way to prevent solenoid wear. They just seem to slow down and this causes the dreaded jerk just when you stop. But by changing the ATF every 40k km, you certainly help prevent clutch wear as well as keeping the various seals soft and effective. We are still trying to find a way to save the solenoids as they seem to age with time and probably high temps within the gearbox.

rod

R2D;919072 said:
But by changing the ATF every 40k km, you certainly help prevent clutch wear as well as keeping the various seals soft and effective.

rod

The crucial statement from the Expert.

I was searching these few days on how to do transmission adaptations and found an article written by someone who did his own solenoid change on his US X5. basically the solenoids are not made to last forever especially when they are made with plastic casings. In the particular article which I read, the plastic parts (including solenoid casing) inside the gearbox basically broke into pieces when they were removed. So i guess it's inevitable that the gearbox and solenoid will need to be serviced/overhauled at least once for anyone who want to keep the car for up to 10 years.

vexxus;916702 said:
Was staying away from Audi & VW due to their infamous DSG issue, especially the 7DSG..

Did you hear it from people who coincidentally have issues? There are lemons in every make. My DSG served me well although my manifold cracked and guessed what, VW changed everything, no questions asked.

redline15;916706 said:
BTW, what tipped me over to BMW instead of VW or Audi is the high paper value....

Am I missing out something? Isn't the paper value damn low? Audi is higher!

i think bmw's previous omv were way higher than VW and AUDI or even mercs. just the e90 320i was around 40-44k omv. mercs and audis were 35-38k range i think

Bimmers feel solid and drive like a "tank", yet the factory used some many plastic / rubber gasket parts that they know from the start , the parts will not last 10 years? Hmm... only reason i can think of is perhaps for weight savings :huhhuh:

lim_ck;919200 said:
I was searching these few days on how to do transmission adaptations and found an article written by someone who did his own solenoid change on his US X5. basically the solenoids are not made to last forever especially when they are made with plastic casings. In the particular article which I read, the plastic parts (including solenoid casing) inside the gearbox basically broke into pieces when they were removed. So i guess it's inevitable that the gearbox and solenoid will need to be serviced/overhauled at least once for anyone who want to keep the car for up to 10 years.

Also because the climate here is crazy as compared to europe i guess. I've seen many bimmers getting leaks at 50000km... Park at home dont drive the seals also cannot take it

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back