Pump Petrol The Right Way !!!

kenntona

Legendary 10 Years
Got this in the email......

Pumping gas.... good things to know.

I've been in the petroleum pipeline business for about 31 years, currently working for the Kinder-Morgan Pipeline here in San Jose, CA. We deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period from the pipe line; one day it's diesel, the next day it's jet fuel and gasoline. We have 34 storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons. Here are some tricks to help you get your money's worth:

1. Fill up your car or truck in the morning when the temperature is still cool. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground; and the colder the ground, the denser the gasoline. When it gets warmer gasoline expands, so if you're filling up in the afternoon or in the evening, what should be a gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and temperature of the fuel (gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products) are significant. Every truckload that we load is temperature-compensated so that the indicated gallon gauge is actually the amount pumped. A one-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for businesses, but service stations don't have temperature compensation at their pumps.

2. If a tanker truck is filling the station's tank at the time you want to buy gas, do not fill up; most likely dirt and sludge in the tank is being stirred up when gas is being delivered, and you might be transferring that dirt from the bottom of their tank into your car's tank.

3. Fill up when your gas tank is half-full (or half-empty), because the more gas you have in your tank the less air there is and gasoline evaporates rapidly, especially when it's warm (gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating 'roof' membrane to act as a barrier between the gas and the atmosphere, thereby minimizing evaporation).

4. If you look at the trigger you'll see that it has three delivery settings: slow, medium and high. When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to the high setting. You should be pumping at the slow setting, thereby minimizing vapors created while you are pumping. Hoses at the pump are corrugated; the corrugations act as a return path for vapor recovery from gas that already has been metered. If you are pumping at the high setting, the agitated gasoline contains more vapor, which is being sucked back into the underground tank, so you're getting less gas for your money. Hope this will help ease your 'pain at the pump'

Re: Pump Petrol The Right Way !!!

interesting and makes total sense

Plus, do the pumps ever get calibrated or checked for exact fuel amount per litre? I bet not. Ive heard of a few servos underfilling

i read somewhere that if u turn the pump gun upside down before u remove it, u can get a few extra drops..

dunno if its true, but i do it anyway whenever i pump gas..

walao where got time? just pump turbo....slow setting wait till tomorrow. time is money.

my FC for first half tank is probably 10km/l
second half is 6.5km/l

technically speaking, if i fill it up every half a tank, does it mean my FC is 10km/l? hee hee

Interesting tips. Not sure about the wisdom of point 1, though. I noticed that whenever I filled up with cool fuel for my Kawasaki Ninja 7 at night, I'd see a lot of it drop out of an overflow pipe as it expanded when it got warm. So I got more fuel in, but it dripped out after getting warm. Maybe we should fill up with cool fuel, but not brim the tank, giving it room to expand?

guys we r talking about drips n drops here....its not like u save half a litre?

i have always thought....my car's full tank is 70 litres...and that crazy heavy...

if i pump 1/4 only everytime... weight will be reduced greatly...therefore improved consumption?

agree. good post there kenn, tks

I second it. Isn't that one of the strategy in F1 or Le Mans racing!?

Terry;279786 said:
i have always thought....my car's full tank is 70 litres...and that crazy heavy...

if i pump 1/4 only everytime... weight will be reduced greatly...therefore improved consumption?

Terry;279786 said:

Terry... you will end up putting more stress on yr fuel pump...

FiftyFive;279876 said:
Terry... you will end up putting more stress on yr fuel pump...

wah...didnt know that... :yikess: :(

i didnt know it will stress the fuel pump... but how?

totoseow;279754 said:
guys we r talking about drips n drops here....its not like u save half a litre?

yeah, i will buy point no.2
the rest..fk it

I subscribe to point 2.

Another personal habit of mine is I always try not to let my fuel tank go below 1/4 (most of the time, I refill when the fuel gauge is between the half and 1/4 mark). Apparently, the fuel pump works harder as the tank gets closer to being empty.

I can't be bothered with all these little gotchas. The additional cost of detours to do more fillups is probably more that meager savings you can squeeze out of these.

hmmm....
70 litres = 60+KG of additional weight, thus your car works harder when climbing up slope or accelerating off. Which means the car would consume more petrol due to weight penalty.... almost empty tank will risk fuel pump running dry at corners, which will spoil both fuel pump and engine as well.

best level will be 1/2 tank to 2/3 mark...hee...

I try to find a gas station where the pump cashier is a chio bu.. at least Q up there not so boring mah... Toto like hunky cashier one.. OLL say one

1. Fill up your car or truck in the morning when the temperature is still cool. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground; and the colder the ground, the denser the gasoline. When it gets warmer gasoline expands, so if you're filling up in the afternoon or in the evening, what should be a gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and temperature of the fuel (gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products) are significant. Every truckload that we load is temperature-compensated so that the indicated gallon gauge is actually the amount pumped. A one-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for businesses, but service stations don't have temperature compensation at their pumps.

I want thinking about this yesterday when I tanked up on a stinking hot day. But isn't the in-ground temperature where fuel tanks are buried more or less constant? And isn't this therefore less likely to affect the specific gravity of the fuel that is being sold? I can understand why the ambient air temperature (above ground) is important if a petrol station is receiving tanker deliveries at various times of the day. But once the fuel has gone into the underground tank and has had enough time to adjust to lower in-ground temperature, it would seem to me that it would make little difference when you buy your fuel.

Any other thoughts on the matter?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go88quest

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back