Quiet Tires to recommend?

Re: Quiet Tires to recommend?

Yes indeed the GR80 is quiet tyre compare to Preceda. Initially the preceda is quiet but get noisy when hit 30k and above. Mine 225/45R17 too continue to monitor the GR80

I have being using the Yokohama Aspect DB on my previous drive and my present car for the last 6 years and extensively drive up north. I have enjoyed their excellent comfort and quietness mainly because my priorities are to enjoy the drive coupled with a good sound system and music.
I have driven in all weather conditions at high speeds and yet to experience any road holding problems with these tyres as mention by some members, although admittedly I am not the type who pushes the car to its limits.
Regards.

Hey Guys,

My current ride is the FL 318 Sport edition with staggered wheels configuration. (225/45 17 & 245/40 17). Want to keep this config as it. I have narrowed my options to the Bridgestone Potenza RE050 and the GR80. But they don't seem to bring in the 245/40.

Any other tyres I can consider? My budget is only 1K - 1.5K. and I really need quieter tyres than the current stock continentals.

elmotan said:
Hey Guys,

My current ride is the FL 318 Sport edition with staggered wheels configuration. (225/45 17 & 245/40 17). Want to keep this config as it. I have narrowed my options to the Bridgestone Potenza RE050 and the GR80. But they don't seem to bring in the 245/40.

Any other tyres I can consider? My budget is only 1K - 1.5K. and I really need quieter tyres than the current stock continentals.

Hi,

Have the same problem as you some one month ago..... narrow down to Bridgestone GE050/GR80, Dunlop sport maxx, and Michelin PS2 but our rear tyres are really hard to find. So far only Michelin has. In the end took a risk change all to PS2 225/45/ZR17 and so far so good.

Dont think that makes alot of diff cos I gain by being able to rotate my tyres front and back to prolong tyre life.

This tyre is considered very quiet though didnt really test the Bridgestone and Dunlop. All I can hear is engine rev noise and abit of road noise on poorly tar roads. Dry and Wet grip is superb I must say, ABS usually came in with my stock CSCs due to poor grip but no problem with this. Price around $1.3-1.4K.

elmotan said:
Hey Guys,

go for the ps2 den.....

I had the same idea of being able to rotate the tyres if I use the same size (front and rear rotate). But I also read in another thread that the front and rear chamber settings are different and should not be rotated.

Any advise out there, please?

woods said:
Hi,

Have the same problem as you some one month ago..... narrow down to Bridgestone GE050/GR80, Dunlop sport maxx, and Michelin PS2 but our rear tyres are really hard to find. So far only Michelin has. In the end took a risk change all to PS2 225/45/ZR17 and so far so good.

Dont think that makes alot of diff cos I gain by being able to rotate my tyres front and back to prolong tyre life.

This tyre is considered very quiet though didnt really test the Bridgestone and Dunlop. All I can hear is engine rev noise and abit of road noise on poorly tar roads. Dry and Wet grip is superb I must say, ABS usually came in with my stock CSCs due to poor grip but no problem with this. Price around $1.3-1.4K.

Hi Woods, u mentioned that ABS used to come in with ur stock CSCs due to poor grip. Does it mean that ABS will wear off faster? Any significant diff between CSC and CSC2?:screwedu: Tks!

Kf Yeo said:
Hi Woods, u mentioned that ABS used to come in with ur stock CSCs due to poor grip. Does it mean that ABS will wear off faster? Any significant diff between CSC and CSC2?:screwedu: Tks!

No idea if the ABS will wear off faster. I thought ABS is a sensing system and nothing to do with wear and tear, right? Do you mean the brake pads wearing off? I believe ABS will kick in due to a couple of reasons, tyre condition is one of them.

My old stocks are the CSC, never tried the CSC2s, so cant comment. As a saying, once bitten twice shy, guess I wouldnt want a CSC unless the review shown otherwise.

You can visit www.tirerack.com for the tyre reviews. For the max performance category, Dunlop Sport Maxx and Michelin PS2 are the top 2. Chose PS2 cos I like the branding better... Marketing makes alot of diff!

One more thing, the PS2 thread design are pretty awesome.... non symmetrical and first of its kind.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPi...l&tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+PS2

Hello everybody,

I have been trying to locate a shop that has stock for 4 pcs of Bridgestone GR80 225/50/R16. Seems like nobody has it! These are the original size tyres for my 2 year old 318i.

Was told by one of the shops I called that 225/50/R16 is very rare, and most shops do not stock this size. I was also told that I can use 205/50/R16 instead, but i am abit worried that the tyre will not protrude from the rims (like it does now) - it helps protect the rims from kerb scratches.

Could anybody advice if i downsize to 205, will the protective side wall be protruding less?

Many Thanks

Suggest you call Chin Wah on Killiney Road at 6737 5483 since they do a lot of BMWs.

I used to have a 2002 E46 320Ci. If memory serves correctly, the actual OE size is 205/55/16 and not 205/50/16 as you were told. 225/50/16 was an option on some cars -- you may have wider rims than standard specification.

For reference, I used 225/45 tires on 17x8 BMW Wheel 50, starting with Continental CSC2 which I used for exactly two years before I switched to Michelin PS2. The Michelins were lighter and improved steering response.

Hi Foxfrc5,

Thanks very much for the response and the lead to Chin Wah. Will give them a call tomorrow.

For my ride, i think PML threw in wider tyres as an upgrade tas part of a promotion.. My car was the 2nd last batch of 318i . The original must have been 205/55/R16.

Many Thanks.

any bros care to comment on MXV8 and AVS dB?

am looking to ditch my RF and switch to either MXV8, AVS dB or GR80. so far GR80 has quite positive feedback here but none yet (did not manage to find with search) for MXV8 or AVS dB.

michelin claims energy saving while have been using yoko tires (not yet try AVS dB) this while, so appreciate bros here can advise. TIA

AVS db is different from the others in the db series and I have used it for 2 years. It is quite quiet for a high performance tire. Grip is good, particularly in the wet. MXV8 is non directional, and less performance, but rides well and is quite quiet. I have also used the GR80 not as quite as most have claimed. For the e90, i suggest you try the Toyo T1-R. For me a very impressive tire which i have tried on e46's. In particular, the ride is excellent for a UHP.

I am now running T1-Rs on 18"s and am surprised that it is quieter and less heavy than the stock 16"s and RFTs. Well, that's my feeling and everyone has got diff threshold. Even then, it does tell you something about those RFTs, doesn't it?

Just got my new set of Bridgestone GR80. It sure is much much quieter than my old RE030 that came originally with my ride.

The problem was i could not get the size i wanted and had to settle for 215/55/R16 instead of 225/50/R16. I was told by almost every shop that Bridgestone imported very few of this size. Maybe the market is too small. Now my tyres don't look as good as before - I am not very impressed with the Bridgestone agent here.

opvaulet said:
AVS db is different from the others in the db series and I have used it for 2 years. It is quite quiet for a high performance tire. Grip is good, particularly in the wet. MXV8 is non directional, and less performance, but rides well and is quite quiet. I have also used the GR80 not as quite as most have claimed. For the e90, i suggest you try the Toyo T1-R. For me a very impressive tire which i have tried on e46's. In particular, the ride is excellent for a UHP.
tks opvaulet. looks like MXV8 could be the tire for me as i value quietness more than performance.

i heard from a tyre dealer , he said now some bmw tyre size is being control by agent n only a handful of tyre dealers n bmw agent is able to get a hand on the stock especially b'stone,pirelli n conti wonder if its true and what 's the real purpose for it if its true.

Give Hankook tyre a try if HAMMAN TECHNOLOGY in germany can use this tyre i m sure its standard should be there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fb88land
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back