Radiator Fan Noise

Lipp

Morning ppl.

I encounter this radiator fan noise for quite some time but workshop check through and say nothing wrong with it.

Each time when the car engine run for an hour, the fan went in overdrive, "stage 2" fan speed. It will go on for the next 30mins and back to normal ("stage 1") again. There is no fault code lighted up.

Have anyone encounter such issue before? Is this normal? Btw, mine car is e90 2009.

Cheers!

Re: Radiator Fan Noise

Loud enough to irritate me :) I can hear it from inside the car when it is stationery.

Been to WS twice on this problem but no fault code detected. Probably gotta make a trip to pml for 2nd opinion.

Should be ageing cooling system like but nothing broke down yet.
BTW, did you check coolant level ?

Bro Lipp, i encountered the same exact issue as you on my E90. fan will go on high speed after 1 hour of driving. but since i usually do not drive for much longer, i din see if fan will go back to normal after another 30 minutes. i turned on the hidden menu to monitor the temperature and it does seem normal (about 100 degrees celsius) and when stage 2 fan kicks in, temperature starts to drop a bit to high 80s.

one day when driving up 6 storeys of MCSP, low coolant light popped up. i opened up the coolant tank and it was empty. topped up almost 1 litre of distilled water and now still monitoring if it will happen again or not.

my car's mileage is about 63k km and 4 years old.

alvinado;1071886 said:
Is stage 2 very loud?

can hear the fan turning from inside cabin with windows all up as well as vibration on steering wheel.

Your water pump might be weak thus not enough coolant circulate around to cool down.
I had the same problem of hearing the loud fan sound previously. After replacing water pump, don't hear it anymore.

Thanks for all the feedback. As I remember WS told me coolant level was ok. Maybe I get them to relook into this area plus the water pump.

Lim_ck, my mileage and car age similar to yours. Probably we have the same symptom. Let's monitor and see how it goes.

Cheers and have a good weekend bros!

Hi , TS did you manage to solve the fan problem mentioned ? Seems like i have the same problem. Replaced thermostat and still the same problem. :(

I had the same problem as well. I changed the water pump, thermostat and top up coolant...Problem still exist..

skii;1090724 said:
I had the same problem as well. I changed the water pump, thermostat and top up coolant...Problem still exist..

Go to the secret menu and check your temp .....

Hi all,

I also noticed my fan revs up only exactly around 1 hour consistently, is it a magic formula? If it isnt, then what is the "normal" circumstances for it to start hyper to cool the engine down.

It is always 1 hours zhun zhun....checked coolant level no leakage too.

ALso, how to access the "secret menu"?

skii;1090724 said:

Hi All fellow bros,

I also facing this problems. Been to many workshop, but still couldn't solve my problems. Will go a new ws to try.. will keep you all posted.
:shakehea:

Hi TS,

Its normal for the fan to be noise at high speed. My ride are like that since day 01. Was told than there are 12speed for the fan.
Vibration on the steering wheel may be due to steering column cupping wearing off. Mine was replaced by PML & vibration also reduce. Slight vibration still noticeable but its alrite.

Cheers ~~ :)

Nattsg;1091148 said:
Hi all,

I also noticed my fan revs up only exactly around 1 hour consistently, is it a magic formula? If it isnt, then what is the "normal" circumstances for it to start hyper to cool the engine down.

It is always 1 hours zhun zhun....checked coolant level no leakage too.

ALso, how to access the "secret menu"?

I notice it's 1hr when doing normal driving. But can be faster when caught in jam. Once I was caught in jam the fan started turning to high speed before 1 hour. But after clearing the jammed area and driving at 80/90kmph for a few minutes, the fan went back to normal speed.

I had the fan always running at high speed previously and after changing the pump about 2yrs ago, this problem is gone.

For the past fews month, my fan again running at high speed after continue driving for 1/2hr. I also observed some slight leak at one of the coolant piping. Again I thought that my water pump is weak again.
In earlier this month, I drove in to BVO to let Ah Wee checked, and he recommeded me just change the coolant piping and replace coolant since it is almost 2yrs. He said the high fan speed is due to slight leaking causing poor cicrulation of coolant.
Now after about 2 weeks of driving, I don't hear the fan running at high speed even caught in a traffic jam.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123bclub88
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back