Rim cleaning

Bandu W

Hello,

I did bit of a search but couldn't find this subject in the forum. So, posting a thread.

My most annoying part of washing the car is cleaning the rims. I end up spending lot of time, ached back and black color fingernails. I am sure there is a better way to do this (apart from taking the car to car wash :)).

Are these rim-cleaning products as effective as they say? Spray and wash off kind?

Any advice will be appreciated?

Bandu :helpp!:

Re: Rim cleaning

Spray wheel cleaner and let it soak for a while. If you have 20 spokes per wheel, good luck!

haha... I'm about to go crazy washing my rims from all brake dust !!! Just need about a week and the whole rim will be black ! But I found a method that works :)
1) wash your rims with normal carwash shampoo, for tough stain use rim cleaner - can try sonax
2) once clean, use wash &wax shampoo and wash it again.

After using this method, the rims will be still black after one week but it is much easier to wash now due to the wax coat on the rims. Try it and u will know what I mean :)
BTW I'm bmw wash & wax but I think other brands should be alright as well.

pengful;679289 said:
Spray wheel cleaner and let it soak for a while. If you have 20 spokes per wheel, good luck!

Yes, I got 20 each :(

I went to about 10 shops including Giant@vivocity but couldn't find Sonax rim cleaner. Finally got a 3M wheel cleaner. I hope that will work.

Now I realized another issue. I live in HDB so I can't really "pressure hose" to clean the wheel. Will this be a problem when using rim cleaner?

Thanks

xeonm3;679335 said:
haha... I'm about to go crazy washing my rims from all brake dust !!! Just need about a week and the whole rim will be black ! But I found a method that works :)
1) wash your rims with normal carwash shampoo, for tough stain use rim cleaner - can try sonax
2) once clean, use wash &wax shampoo and wash it again.

After using this method, the rims will be still black after one week but it is much easier to wash now due to the wax coat on the rims. Try it and u will know what I mean :)
BTW I'm bmw wash & wax but I think other brands should be alright as well.

waxing your rims is a great recommendation..i do it too (after claying!!..yes i am a freak).
but beware not to get any wax on your brakes & discs! otherwise, the squeak gremlin will come after you.

sonax rims cleaner is rather corrosive for some rims.
so far the best method i know is a pail of water filled with good ol mama lemon dishwashing liquid....haha

I couldn't find highly recommended Sonax rim cleaner. I got 3M wheel cleaner, and it worked all right.

I found another cool solution for $5.90. It is a pressure container. It takes 2L of water, after pumping few times, it works like a small pressure hose!

So, I could manage the whole car including rims with one bucket of water.

Bandu W;682325 said:
I couldn't find highly recommended Sonax rim cleaner. I got 3M wheel cleaner, and it worked all right.

I found another cool solution for $5.90. It is a pressure container. It takes 2L of water, after pumping few times, it works like a small pressure hose!

So, I could manage the whole car including rims with one bucket of water.

Bro may I ask where you got the pressure container? Sounds cheap and good and can take 2L water useful for quick car wash.:thumbsup:

You can get those high pressure hose and connect to the tap. Just a spray and I believe those brake dust will be washed off. Give it a good wipe and all of the brake dust will be cleaned off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vvjlcomph
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back