Run flat or non run flat tyres

Re: Run flat or non run flat tyres

Just wondering what is the av mileage for RFT before replacement.

Depends on your risk appetite ..... I have done 80k km on one set of tyres before it punctured and I was forced to change it. Bochap driver.

Also depends on your driving style.......grand theft auto vs grand ma. Performance driver.

Lastly, there should be markings on the tyre threads to indicate time to change.......Aware driver.

Cars4fun;1046592 said:
Just wondering what is the av mileage for RFT before replacement.

Understand, 80k is really pushing it.
I normally change around 30-40k for non RFTs. Not that the tires are totally worn, but more because they are getting less grippy and often quite noisy.
As I read that RFT supposed to last longer, was just wondering the % over normal tires that they can last.
Will certainly look out for the wear indicators, but just looking ahead to anticipate when I am expected to replace the tires.

There's a wear rating based on the specs of your tires as well ...... So more clues there ....

BBee;1046535 said:
Forgot the brand of RFT from stock but 2nd set of Goodyear Eagles RFT were noisier and gave a harder ride than the Goodyear Excellence RFT which I changed to a couple of weeks ago.
The original equipped should be Bridgestone Potenza RE-050 before they switched to another brand/model of RFT.
It is only natural that the GY Eagles are nosier and harder over the GY Excellence... simply because Eagle's has better grip (both dry & wet) over excellence. Within each brand, the quieter the model the less grip you get... it is a compromise.

Cars4fun;1046625 said:
Understand, 80k is really pushing it.
I normally change around 30-40k for non RFTs. Not that the tires are totally worn, but more because they are getting less grippy and often quite noisy.
As I read that RFT supposed to last longer, was just wondering the % over normal tires that they can last.
Will certainly look out for the wear indicators, but just looking ahead to anticipate when I am expected to replace the tires.

RFT may not last as long as normal tyres, especially when camber is aggressive.

Non RF anytime.
GY AS2 regards as one of best for both dry and wet.
You can always borrow a spare and the tools set from your friendly tyre dealer.

Actually I get low mileage from my RF fitted on my old E90 320. Less than 40k km!
Run my E60 520 on non RF - quieter, better braking, better roadholding, more comfy....

lf37;1046694 said:
Non RF anytime.
GY AS2 regards as one of best for both dry and wet.
You can always borrow a spare and the tools set from your friendly tyre dealer.
Yes it is and only applicable in the category of Max Performance Tyres (plus all lower categories). However it was dethroned when PSS came along. And yes, it is still one of the best in Max Performance Tyres.
Also all the other brand/models of tyre in the Extreme Performance Tyres, will win GY AS2 hands down both in dry and wet at a given same speed, except mileage.

True that most RF lose out to Non-RF but RF also win a handful of non-RF, it is subjected to which brand+model we are comparing it with. Example: Continental SportContact 2 SSR Run Flat wins GY AS1 non-RFT in terms of dry, wet and mileage except comfort :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Geez...Dilemma .... I am going to change my 20"s soon, Using the P Zero RFT now and am thinking of whether to try the Non-RFT as i heard they are quieter and more comfortable as compare to RFT.

kyubi;1046709 said:
Geez...Dilemma .... I am going to change my 20"s soon, Using the P Zero RFT now and am thinking of whether to try the Non-RFT as i heard they are quieter and more comfortable as compare to RFT.
Personally at time of this post, below will be my choices subjected to size availability and pricing at the point of intent to purchase/change:

Max Performance Tyres*
Non-RF
1st Choice = Michellin PSS
2nd Choice = GY AS2
3rd Choice = Michelin Pilot Sport 3 PS3

Note: Am influenced by this test = 2013 Summer Tyre Buying Guide | the online tyre guide

RFT
1st Choice = Continental SportContact 2 SSR Run Flat
2nd Choice = Bridgestone Potenza S001 RFT
3rd Choice = Pirelli P Zero Runflat

Extreme Performance Tyres
Non-RF
1st Choice = Bridgestone Potenza RE070
2nd Choice = Bridgestone Potenza RE11
3rd Choice = Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

RFT
- The wet grip is too dangerous to consider.

Trackdays Tyres - Only when w/o regard to cost and mileage
Non-RF
1st Choice = Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R
2nd Choice = Nitto NT01 (mileage poorest of these 3 choice)
3rd Choice = Michelin Pilot Sport Cup (wet grip poorest of these 3 choice)

* Listed here because of the popularity of PSS in this community. If opt for Non-RF, would go for the Extreme Performance Tyres and choose Bridgestone Potenza RE070 if sizing permits.

Last edited by a moderator:

kyubi;1046709 said:

After 14,000kms, my stock 20" Dunlop RFTs developed blisters at the rear tyres and needed changing. I was initially told RFTs would last between 20-30,000kms, but I suspect my late night adventures at LCK ex-Skyhawk landing strips might have whittled my tyres down earlier than expected.

I swapped them for Michelin PSS 20" non-RFTs and honest to goodness, I could feel improved road holding capabilities and a softer quieter ride on the roads. Haven't tried any late night runs at Orchard Gudang yet though, so can't say about lap times though :lol2::lol2::lol2:

wobbles;1046712 said:
After 14,000kms, my stock 20" Dunlop RFTs developed blisters at the rear tyres and needed changing. I was initially told RFTs would last between 20-30,000kms, but I suspect my late night adventures at LCK ex-Skyhawk landing strips might have whittled my tyres down earlier than expected.

I swapped them for Michelin PSS 20" non-RFTs and honest to goodness, I could feel improved road holding capabilities and a softer quieter ride on the roads. Haven't tried any late night runs at Orchard Gudang yet though, so can't say about lap times though :lol2::lol2::lol2:

Haha....Didn't know there is an Orchard Gudang :p

Great for run lion nights, unker wobbles. Sart.

wobbles;1046712 said:

Don't mind me asking, is your Dunlop RFT = Dunlop SP Sport Maxx ROF? This piece of RFT is very bad in mileage, just slightly better than Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat only. Even the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Run Flat can last about 30,000km.

kyubi;1046715 said:
Haha....Didn't know there is an Orchard Gudang :p
Are you Singaporean? :lol:

Baby1M;1046718 said:
Don't mind me asking, is your Dunlop RFT = Dunlop SP Sport Maxx ROF? This piece of RFT is very bad in mileage, just slightly better than Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat only. Even the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Run Flat can last about 30,000km.

Yeah, that's the stock Dunlop RFTs that came with my 373M 20" rims. Piece of shit, really.

wobbles;1046742 said:
Yeah, that's the stock Dunlop RFTs that came with my 373M 20" rims. Piece of shit, really.
Yups... the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx ROF is.
Lucky I got the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Run Flat, reasonable and not too bad but wet grip is a little doubtful.

Thank you all for the information. Useful when I choose my next set of wheels.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n6663

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back