Scary 3-min ride for family

ac323

Staff member
THEY were on their way to dinner and travelling along the East Coast Parkway (ECP) towards the city. Mr Randal Leau, 44, was driving his family on his blue Toyota Altis on the outermost lane when he approached the back of a "slow-moving" car.

Wanting to speed up his journey, the insurance agent flashed his high beam to alert the car in front.

It marked the start of a frightening three-minute ride for the driver of 24 years, his wife, 44, an insurance agent, and their two teenage sons.

Mr Leau called The New Paper to air his grievances over what happened last Saturday.

He said: "It was obvious the driver in front of us was trying to pick on us on the road.

"Not only did he hog the first lane, he stepped on his brakes abruptly so I had to jam-brake as well. When I tried to overtake him on the left, the driver sped up to prevent us from doing so."

He was on his way to a wonton noodle stall at Still Road after picking up his younger son, a 14-year-old student, from Changi Airport Terminal 3 at around 8pm.

His son, a Boy Scout, was returning from a four-day trip in Hong Kong and the family had planned to spend some time together that evening.

As Mr Leau's vehicle cruised along the ECP, a Saab sedan, which he estimated to be travelling at 70kmh on the overtaking lane, allegedly blocked his path.

Mr Leau said he was driving at about 90kmh and had to slow down.

He said: "I didn't think anything was wrong at first, so I waited patiently behind his car even though he was driving very slowly.

"After a while, I flashed my high beam once to signal him to speed up. But the moment that happened, the driver immediately jam-braked.

"Fortunately, there was no accident. That was when I realised the driver had been playing around with us deliberately."

He later gave The New Paper three video clips of the incident, taken with his in-car camera. The footage shows the sedan car jam-braking at least three times.

In the first clip, Mr Leau's car is seen directly behind the Saab sedan for about one minute.

Hogging

Other vehicles are seen travelling at a faster speed on the left, overtaking the two cars which are on the first lane.

Mr Leau said: "The fact that other cars on the left were much faster clearly suggests that the sedan was hogging the overtaking lane."

But the unspoken tension grew as they continued down the expressway.

When Mr Leau decided to overtake the car on the left, the car sped up, only to slow down again and jam-brake at least once more.

Mr Leau said: "It was scary because we didn't know what his real intention was. I was with my family and we were all very worried. We were well-belted up, but the jam-braking along the expressway was still a scare."

In the end, the Saab driver exited the ECP into Bedok, cutting across three lanes to filter out of the expressway, as shown on the third video clip taken by Mr Leau.

Mr Leau exited at Marine Parade before resuming his dinner plans.

A lawyer TNP spoke to said this appears to be a case of driving without reasonable consideration for other drivers on the road.

Mr S Balamurugan of Straits Law Practice said: "There's some hostility in the situation. The driver at the front may have felt that the car behind him was too close.

"The other driver was obviously irritated that the front driver did not give way to vehicles moving at a faster speed."

He said the incident could have been handled better.

"The driver at the back should have slowed down, filtered out of the overtaking lane to another lane instead of immediately trying to overtake from the left."

According to the police, road hogging refers to driving at unreasonably slow speeds on the roads, particularly along the centre or rightmost lane, thereby obstructing other road users.

A person convicted of road hogging will be issued four demerit points under the Driver Improvement Points System.

Those found guilty of road hogging can be fined up to $1,000 or three months' imprisonment.

A $2,000 fine or six months' imprisonment is issued for a second or subsequent offence.

Re: Scary 3-min ride for family

hope none of the guys here does that.
end of the day its not just for that 一口气, what if u the driver, caused an accident for that car and its passengers, not to mention any other drivers, putting everyone at the risk of serious injury n death.
so when driving, even if u are irritated, take a deep breath and let things go.

driving without consideration? i would think that a rash act under the penal code would be more appropriate. duh.

Kena jammed brake 3 times Liao still follow behind him? Make no sense.
Just filter to another lane lor.....

hitmee;704623 said:
Kena jammed brake 3 times Liao still follow behind him? Make no sense.
Just filter to another lane lor.....

not many people are so sensible like you i supposed....

cheers

bitten the 'bait' liao of coz die die dun filter out to another lane..to the victim, it was the only lane in the world at that time.

"It marked the start of a frightening three-minute ride for the driver of 24 years, his wife, 44, an insurance agent, and their two teenage sons."

Driver age24, wife age44 ... Younger son 14yrs old Wow ..

Last edited by a moderator:

funny,

if other cars are overtaking on the left, why didn't he do so? he chose to flash his lights.
both also at fault.

iScoupe;704649 said:
"It marked the start of a frightening three-minute ride for the driver of 24 years, his wife, 44, an insurance agent, and their two teenage sons."

Driver age24, wife age44 ... Younger son 14yrs old Wow ..

ur english very bad.

he is 24, his wife is 14. his son is 44 lag!

This is call 一个愿打,一个愿挨。
iscoupe says his RS6 would never have follow a hogger for 3 minutes without successfully overtaking or changing lane.

hitmee;704655 said:
funny,

if other cars are overtaking on the left, why didn't he do so? he chose to flash his lights.
both also at fault.

I think he got try. But not successful. Not every car as fast as ur R8 :D

blue altis front not fierce enuff.

iscoupe rs6 front very fierce. ppl see from rear mirror will quickly siam to the left. coz ken a bang by him bo hua

C3P0;704658 said:
I think he got try. But not successful. Not every car as fast as ur R8 :D

i slow driver, else others cannot see my handsome face.

buay kan...car no good...driving, thinking skill also boh...

only can whine...

i always dream that my head-lights have missile launcher too...

i hate hogger

hitmee;704655 said:
funny,

both also at fault.

Already mentioned by the driver
" .... When I tried to overtake him on the left, the driver sped up to prevent us from doing so."

Jarren;704670 said:
" .... When I tried to overtake him on the left, the driver sped up to prevent us from doing so."

that is probably after he flashed!

ipoh-horfun;704667 said:
i always dream that my head-lights have missile launcher too...

i hate hogger

later tail light also have missile launcher for poker

Jarren;704670 said:

That's why must buy fast fast car... people play punk with u, want to speed up also can't win u...

Muahahaha

I have a different experience except in this scenario I was the one in front. Eventhough the first lane was for overtaking I am unable to overtake and thus cruising around behind. However a car behind start flashing and was too close for comfort thus I did the braking so that the other car would not be too close to my rear.. While no more flashing but the behind car was still too closed a few times and thus the few braking exercise..Normaly I would not have any issues with this except when I have my kids at the back seat and I would definitely take preventice driving to ensure the car behind is not too closed...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taixiugo88club
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back