Screechy Sounds

gerald tan

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
Hey guys, hope you guys can help. There are always screechy sounds whenever the brake is stepped, i am wondering if there is a way to stop this. Anybody knows of anyway to stop this screeching sound. And there is also a "Thud" sound whether a gear is changed from D to R. Any of you guys are able to help me on these, the car's a 7 series by the way. Thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Screechy Sounds

hi

my 7 series is acting the same way for the "thud" sound too when changing gears.
read through forums only to find its normal. paying 280+k for this.:screwedu:

for the brake screeching sound, i recommend u go down to a workshop for inspection. it is not normal i guess.

good luck and cheers!

there's nothing wrong with your car.

either the brakes have not been bedded-in properly, or you've not been braking hard lately. go take a read in order to understand what you need to do. StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades

The 'thud' is normal. in layman terms, this is the sound of the gearbox disengaging the forward gear and changing to the reverse gear. you'd hear this on every car, unless your driving an electric car. yes, even $280k cars make this sound.

glennkohbmw;428531 said:
hi

my 7 series is acting the same way for the "thud" sound too when changing gears.
read through forums only to find its normal. paying 280+k for this.:screwedu:

for the brake screeching sound, i recommend u go down to a workshop for inspection. it is not normal i guess.

good luck and cheers!

The sound's annoying. :screwedu: I though it's some gearbox problem at first, oh well, at least i can put my heart at east after knowing it's normal. Hmm, for the screeching sound, i'll guess i'll leave in on 1st, if it gets worst than i'll go down to a workshop.

I'm new to this forum by the way, nice to meet you. :)

Cheers.
jinooi;428536 said:
there's nothing wrong with your car.

either the brakes have not been bedded-in properly, or you've not been braking hard lately. go take a read in order to understand what you need to do. StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades

The 'thud' is normal. in layman terms, this is the sound of the gearbox disengaging the forward gear and changing to the reverse gear. you'd hear this on every car, unless your driving an electric car. yes, even $280k cars make this sound.

Hey, thanks for the information, much appreciated. I'll go read it up and about the 'thud' sound, it's annoying sometimes. Haha. Thanks anyway. Nice to meet you.:)

Takecare, Cheers.

have fun learning about your car. and come to the monthly meetups where you can find out more and have a chat about your concerns.

cheers!

jinooi;428573 said:
have fun learning about your car. and come to the monthly meetups where you can find out more and have a chat about your concerns.

cheers!

Hey, it's not my car anyway. It's my dad's. Im just 16 but im a car enthusiast and helps my dad with his car. Can you update me on monthly meetups, so I can go for some of them. I think im the youngest in this forum. Thanks.

Cheers.

gerald tan;428437 said:
And there is also a "Thud" sound whether a gear is changed from D to R.

i used to occasionally get this loud "thunk" noise and i feel like the car drops when i shift b/w D and R, esp during parking. my SE advised me to try waiting till the car totally comes to a stop. now, this mght sound weird cos who the heck change gears while still moving right? but he meant that slight feeling of inertia when you're on the brakes - the car has this feeling of resistance before really coming to standstill.

so anyway, just try to wait 1.5 secs after the car stops, then change gear. see if that helps. i find once the car really comes to a FULL stop, i can flick v fast from R to N to D and no sound at all. he told me no harm done, but i prefer my cars not to make thunking noises when i park la.

i do get a soft crunch noise when shifting out of P in the mornings, but think its a matter of warming the car up. once i start driving, no more weird noises.

motorknut;428576 said:
i used to occasionally get this loud "thunk" noise and i feel like the car drops when i shift b/w D and R, esp during parking. my SE advised me to try waiting till the car totally comes to a stop. now, this mght sound weird cos who the heck change gears while still moving right? but he meant that slight feeling of inertia when you're on the brakes - the car has this feeling of resistance before really coming to standstill.

so anyway, just try to wait 1.5 secs after the car stops, then change gear. see if that helps. i find once the car really comes to a FULL stop, i can flick v fast from R to N to D and no sound at all. he told me no harm done, but i prefer my cars not to make thunking noises when i park la.

i do get a soft crunch noise when shifting out of P in the mornings, but think its a matter of warming the car up. once i start driving, no more weird noises.

Hey motorknut! Thanks alot for your advice man, appreciated it alot!

Cheers.

hi all ,my car has a thud sound when dropping gear to a complete stop ,is there a problem im worried.when i select the gear it seems only dropping to gear 1 has this sound.went workshop to diagnose they couldnt find a problem pls help thanks

i notice all the good cars have this problem.

i had it in my Audi previously. My brother has it in his Lexus as well.

if you put the car to neutral before the car stops, there won't be the sound.

i don't think it is a big issue, don't worry too much about it

the 'thud' sound is normal. i had it in my 7 too.

as for the brake irritating sound, u can go to bvo and look for ah wee to get ur brake caliper lube and brake pad smoothen. this cost abt 30-50 for a 7 and it will stop the sound for a month or 2. after that, its back to the same screeching again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fc777comph
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back