Seeking Advice on 09 740Li

hydkrash

Hi guys, first post.

Am looking at getting an 09 740li.

Apart from having the car checked out by STA, any other advice on what areas to look out for with this car?

Also, if anyone can give some advice on some of the common faults that would occur that would be great.

Sorry this is going to be my first BMW coming from a Merc, and I've heard that they can sometimes be quite problematic so just being cautious.

Hi hydkrash,

The 09 740Li is powered by a N54 engine. I gave this model a wide berth as I have heard of early models experiencing high pressure fuel pump failures. Also, as they become older they develop a serious rattling noise from the turbo area, and power problems.

You may want to check out the site below for more details.

http://www.bmwforums.info/general-g...mw-n54-engine-twin-turbo-rattle-boost-to.html

If you are not too particular about the power, it may be better to get the 730Li or the late 2012 740li with the new N55 engine.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for the advice. This is very helpful.

Yeah initially I was looking at the 730, but decided to get the 740 instead because of the power.

This definitely looks like it could be a costly fix.

Apart from this, I've friends who have BMW, and some say they don't have issues, while others have told me theit car have been going in and out, mostly due to minor things that consecutively break.

I don't get a consistent read on the trend, but it somewhat seems like a hit or miss with a BMW really. Is this the experience that you guys get as well?

my 2009 F01 jus broke down, and its the fuel pump issue.

Hope the damage is not big. Jus 4 days after i got it :(

Check that there is no jerk from the gearbox just before the car comes to a halt. Lots of gearbox issues.

You should sent it to your workshop, they might have to change the valve body. Anything to do with the gearbox is very expensive.

Hi Guys,

Anyone mind to share how we resolve the rattling noise from the turbo area? Or any recommendations? Sent mine to PM two weeks ago, was told the rattling noise can be taken care off by replacing the pressure converter. Less than 3 driving sessions the rattling noise appears again.

Hi Guys,

Anyone mind to share how we resolve the rattling noise from the turbo area? Or any recommendations? Sent mine to PM two weeks ago, was told the rattling noise can be taken care off by replacing the pressure converter. Less than 3 driving sessions the rattling noise appears again.

Hi John,

I have exactly the same whistling problem on my PI 2009 740Li. Cause- Turbo Leakage, a common problem (according to the workshop i sent to whom had done 4-5 similar jobs on 740)

You won't find the following info pleasant to your ears,

28/12/2016- Sent the car for repairs, suppose to be done in a week, but because engine oil gasket problem, delayed another week. In total- two weeks of downtime. Collected the car, drives like new for 4-5 days.

Then shit happens, the exhaust was throwing out white smoke badly. Workshop claims it is because the leaked engine oil wasn't cleaned in the engine.

Downtime- 2 weeks

9/1/2017- towed the car back when i got back from overseas. Workshop said its not the leaked engine oil but rather the newly installed turbos. They got the turbo supplier to check/rectify/whatever. Car finally ready 24/1/2017.

Gave me a spare car, though its the oldest car I ever driven, nevertheless thankful.

Downtime- 15 days

drove for a few days, no problem, but on the first day of CNY (29/1/2017), the same shit of whistling and the 'engine fault, reduced power' sign! This time its worse, the engine power got cut off suddenly and only upon on-off restart engine then acceleration got back. I notice the cut off only occurs when the car is accelerated above the 2,000 Rpm mark.

1st Feb 2017- drove like a turtle to the workshop at night parked the car there till now, 8th Feb 2017. Workshop just called to say my car is ready. Told them to keep it and test it for a few days, will collect on friday.

Hope my plight gives you an insight on your issue.

My Car Mileage- 67k km

Regards,

Wilson

Hi John,

I have exactly the same whistling problem on my PI 2009 740Li. Cause- Turbo Leakage, a common problem (according to the workshop i sent to whom had done 4-5 similar jobs on 740)

You won't find the following info pleasant to your ears,

28/12/2016- Sent the car for repairs, suppose to be done in a week, but because engine oil gasket problem, delayed another week. In total- two weeks of downtime. Collected the car, drives like new for 4-5 days.

Then shit happens, the exhaust was throwing out white smoke badly. Workshop claims it is because the leaked engine oil wasn't cleaned in the engine.

Downtime- 2 weeks

9/1/2017- towed the car back when i got back from overseas. Workshop said its not the leaked engine oil but rather the newly installed turbos. They got the turbo supplier to check/rectify/whatever. Car finally ready 24/1/2017.

Gave me a spare car, though its the oldest car I ever driven, nevertheless thankful.

Downtime- 15 days

drove for a few days, no problem, but on the first day of CNY (29/1/2017), the same shit of whistling and the 'engine fault, reduced power' sign! This time its worse, the engine power got cut off suddenly and only upon on-off restart engine then acceleration got back. I notice the cut off only occurs when the car is accelerated above the 2,000 Rpm mark.

1st Feb 2017- drove like a turtle to the workshop at night parked the car there till now, 8th Feb 2017. Workshop just called to say my car is ready. Told them to keep it and test it for a few days, will collect on friday.

Hope my plight gives you an insight on your issue.

My Car Mileage- 67k km

Regards,

Wilson
hi ,
what are the cost involved in each of these repairs?

Hi any known issues on f12 640i cabrio? I am looking to buy a 2012 used car with 19k miles. Dunno how to tell whether odo has been tampered ??

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back