Should I renew my COE?

alvin01

Hi everyone

I am currently driving an E90 325, having bought it second hand 3 1/2 years ago. The COE is expiring next month and I had intented to renew the COE as it's the best Bimmer I've ever owned.

I brought the car for an inspection at one of the recommended workshops a couple of weeks ago. It was not as favourable as I had hoped - the inspection showed issues with the engine and gearbox and I was advised to look for another car as it may not be economical to renew the COE.

A brief description of the couple of problems I have experienced with the car:-
  1. On some occasions when I do a fast start from the lights, I hear a fast tapping sound from the engine followed by a huge plume of white smoke. The engine will vibrate and feel weak but it will revert to normal after I have turned it off and parked the car for a while.
  2. On some occasions when I drop gears to execute a fast overtaking move, I hear a "crunching of the gears", followed by a loss of power and a "coughing" and "asthmatic" engine. Again, the car recovers after a while.
On the advice of the workshop, I have started to look another used car - I've restricted my search to E90 325s as I really like this model. The trouble is there are not many 4-door units available for sale - an overwhelming majority are 325 coupes and convertibles. To date, I have not found one to my liking.

My intention is to find a car with 2-3 years of the COE remaining, with a view to renewing the COE. My question is: will I be faced with the same decision when the time comes to renew the COE? What is the likelihood that if I am able to find a good unit that it will not need an engine overhaul and gearbox rebuild if I want to drive it for a further 10 years? Or are the repairs unavoidable for any COE renewed 325?

Given the lack of available 325s in the market, the option remains for me to renew the COE on my current car having regard to the costs involved. In broad terms, the COE renewal for my current car will set me back in the region of $100k ($50k COE, $28k PARF lost, $15-18k for engine overhaul and gearbox rebuild) or $10k depreciation per year for the next 10 years. In comparison, a used 325 will have depreciation upwards of $14k per year.

I am not looking to buy new as they don't make BMWs like the E90s anymore, at least not in the price range I can afford.

Apologies for my lengthy post but I would really appreciate any comments or advice on this.

Best regards

Alvin

how about E60 523i?

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

The good thing with overhauling your engine and gearbox yourself is that you know it is likely to last you for the next full 10 years.

10k deprec for a e90 325i is not bad. Like you said it all the used ones going for around 14-15k, and you still have to do repairs.

If I were in your shoes, I would just renew and repair it. You can budget 10k for the repairs if you go to JB WS. You are likely to be in the region of sub-9k deprec going this route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Like you said it all the used ones going for around 14-15k, and you still have to do repairs.

Thanks for your comments.

Actually the above bit I intended as a question as I do not know for a fact that engine overhauls and gearbox rebuilds are unavoidable for any COE renewed 325. Are you aware of any 325s that can last the second 10-year cycle without needing major repairs?

Actually the above bit I intended as a question as I do not know for a fact that engine overhauls and gearbox rebuilds are unavoidable for any COE renewed 325. Are you aware of any 325s that can last the second 10-year cycle without needing major repairs?
If so that will be a break through for E90 I guess..

Personally I feel that the chances of a car not breaking down after 7-8 years mark is kind of hard. Especially for a BMW.
Old cars will always have some problem at some time. Just when and what.
I guess the only 325 that you can find that wont have problem will be one that has been rebuilt recently ? But what are the chances that the previous owner will do that ?
I am in similar situation as you but I am driving a E90 335. But chances are I will not renew it as the OMV is too much to lose immediately. Hahaha.

Personally I feel that the chances of a car not breaking down after 7-8 years mark is kind of hard. Especially for a BMW.
Old cars will always have some problem at some time. Just when and what.
I guess the only 325 that you can find that wont have problem will be one that has been rebuilt recently ? But what are the chances that the previous owner will do that ?
I am in similar situation as you but I am driving a E90 335. But chances are I will not renew it as the OMV is too much to lose immediately. Hahaha.

Thanks. I guess it's only the extent of work required that differentiate the cars.

Just curious, what will you be looking at after the E90 335?

As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone with a 325i that is running around with a renewed COE yet.

But there are a lot running around up north in Malaysia, just visit BMW malaysia forum.

That said, if you are meticulous with your EO and ATF change, there's no reason why your car engine and gearbox can't last until 20y.

As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone with a 325i that is running around with a renewed COE yet.

But there are a lot running around up north in Malaysia, just visit BMW malaysia forum.

That said, if you are meticulous with your EO and ATF change, there's no reason why your car engine and gearbox can't last until 20y.
Likewise, I believe Bimmers should have no problems lasting 20 years. It's just that the COE system here renders it untenable.

alvin01, heard some insurers don't provide coverage for COE-renewed cars, care to share what you've found out?

alvin01, heard some insurers don't provide coverage for COE-renewed cars, care to share what you've found out?
AXA is able to renew my comprehensive cover if I decide to extend my COE. I am aware however that some insurers are not willing to provide comprehensive cover for COE-renewed cars, only third party insurance.

Thanks. I guess it's only the extent of work required that differentiate the cars.

Just curious, what will you be looking at after the E90 335?

Haha. My 335i was a one time off good deal. I dun think I can afford another one unless I am willing to pay a lot more.
And 335I sedan does not come around easily as there is not a lot in the market.
I just got married and plan to have kids soon. So need more space if possible for kids stuff and to ferry my in laws together as well.
So I am looking at a X3/X5/328/520/528 after this if I can afford. Hahaha.

i have gone thru the same path as you and bite the bullet to renewed my e90. completed gearbox overhaul will back by $6000 to $8000 depending on which workshop you go to. i changed most of my wear and tear parts too and now the ride feels good again.

i have gone thru the same path as you and bite the bullet to renewed my e90. completed gearbox overhaul will back by $6000 to $8000 depending on which workshop you go to. i changed most of my wear and tear parts too and now the ride feels good again.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

My apologies for not having given an update on what I decided on finally.

I did my sums and concluded that the numbers didn't add up for the renew option.

As it turned out, I ended up getting a 6.5 year old E60 525.

There was less than a handful of available 4-door E90 325s - they were either too new (i.e. beyond my budget) or not in a condition acceptable to me. I had just about given up when I chanced upon a reasonably well kept E60 525 that was within my budget. The E60 was never in my shortlist but the test drive prompted me to reconsider - that plus the fact that the E60 525's depreciation worked out to be less than that of an E90 325. The engine is a peach and the handling isn't that bad considering its size - the steering is still too light compared the E90 325, whose steering weight is just about perfect for me. Overall refinement is of course in a different league from the E90.

So more than 9 months on, I've gotten used to the size, the looks and the handling of the E60. Truth be told, I still miss the way the E90 325 drives and I might look for another one further down the road. For now, I hope the E60 is a keeper and remains relatively trouble free until the end of its COE.

Cheers

Alvin

How good was your deal? Just curious.

Haha. My 335i was a one time off good deal. I dun think I can afford another one unless I am willing to pay a lot more.
And 335I sedan does not come around easily as there is not a lot in the market.
I just got married and plan to have kids soon. So need more space if possible for kids stuff and to ferry my in laws together as well.
So I am looking at a X3/X5/328/520/528 after this if I can afford. Hahaha.

E60 525 is a great choice. The 3 litre engine tuned to 525 is the best of the E60 series. keep it. We face a unique situation in Singapore, that is $ & cts. Most good engine can easily last 200k km before needing a top overhaul. Keep oil change at no more than one year or 15000km with synthetic oil. Do oil change for your auto gearbox at 50000km. you will have an enjoyable ride for a long time. Only thing for us to look at is the PARF residue we lost by not scrapping it (real wasteful system we have here). I drive a F30 335i and plan to keep it beyond 15 years, but now considering the financial lost and rethinking my choice. Enjoy your ride for the time being.

E60 525 is a great choice. The 3 litre engine tuned to 525 is the best of the E60 series. keep it. We face a unique situation in Singapore, that is $ & cts. Most good engine can easily last 200k km before needing a top overhaul. Keep oil change at no more than one year or 15000km with synthetic oil. Do oil change for your auto gearbox at 50000km. you will have an enjoyable ride for a long time. Only thing for us to look at is the PARF residue we lost by not scrapping it (real wasteful system we have here). I drive a F30 335i and plan to keep it beyond 15 years, but now considering the financial lost and rethinking my choice. Enjoy your ride for the time being.
I thought the E90 325i and the E60 525i shared the same engine?

Thanks for your sharing your experience.

Just one point - the E60 525 has a 2.5 litre I6, not a 3.0 litre like your F30 335. It is nevertheless still a gem.

Reactions: ffl

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
66vnworld
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back