Sia

Re: Sia

There are a few things Singaporeans can be proud of when we are amongst foreigners and thats SQ and Changi Airport.

We are honestly more "forgiving" when we take other airlines because we will mumur under our breath "This is not SQ so we cannot expect water, smiles, blah blah..just take it and hope it brings me there safely can liao.."

The homely feeling on SQ I am talking about is the familiarity with the crew faces and the people on board..machiam already home cos thats when our "hiam tang hiam sai" mode automatically kicks in and suddenly its NOT ok that the crew did not greet me and offer me a hot towel before take off

I will support SIA no matter what...I Singaporean, support our economy by reducing cash outflow..seriously, SIA is not that bad as other airlines for long haul flight..even economy class got class.

isiowsg;876544 said:
I will support SIA no matter what...I Singaporean, support our economy by reducing cash outflow..seriously, SIA is not that bad as other airlines for long haul flight..even economy class got class.

too bad SIA will charge you more because they can...

more airport tax...more handling fees...more fuel surcharge...

whereas people in other countries buy SQ tixs at lower cost and pay lower taxes...because of subsidies given to SQ...

My boss complains that I pay more to fly by SQ to China than for him to fly from EU to Singapore :) Although service is hit and miss at times and KrisflyerGold is a joke, but I will only fly SQ because 1. newer and well maintained planes and nothing out there compares to 2. Krisworld VOD.

It does make a difference when you fly SIN-LON or SIN-LAX by SQ against BA or UA !

Shifting this to lounge - this thread was originally posted in site sponsors section.

I think TS ate too much tao sa bia.

sq.. ok lor.. juz came back from bkk.. short flight.. quite comfy.. prompt service.. juz another flight home :D

Maybe I'm just suay. The first time we (wifey and I) tried to be adventurous and flew biz class on Emirates to Manchester via Dubai we encountered:

a. Broken VOD unit on wife's seat
b. Malfunctioning chair adjustment on my seat
c. Power kept coming on and off to my in flight entertainment system

On the way back, we were delayed for 4 hours and the food ran OUT in the biz class lounge

We nearly missed the connecting flight in Dubai because of that delay (and there were no in-flight announcements/updates throughout that 1st of the return legs) and then, there were no clear signs indicating where to go to catch the connecting flight, nor were there any buggies provided (it was a fcuking long run fromone end of the terminal to the other).

It didn't help the confidence level very much to have a couple of passengers relate how this was the 4th time in 6 flights for them, that Emirates suffered a delay or was not on time...

I still have the extra 60,000 sky reward points they awarded me (and 45,000 extra ones for wifey - dunno why got discrepancy) after I wrote in a lengthy "even MW would have been proud of my Engrand" complaint letter, attached with scans of our boarding passes and pictures of the malfunctioning seat/VOD etc, but after that experience, we swore we'd go back to flying SQ.

I guess you never miss what you've taken for granted (flights departing close to or exactly on time, hot food that never seems to run out, equipment that frigging WORKS etc)- until you have them taken away from you!

Sia

Bat69;877509 said:
My boss complains that I pay more to fly by SQ to China than for him to fly from EU to Singapore :) Although service is hit and miss at times and KrisflyerGold is a joke, but I will only fly SQ because 1. newer and well maintained planes and nothing out there compares to 2. Krisworld VOD.

It does make a difference when you fly SIN-LON or SIN-LAX by SQ against BA or UA !

Actually emirates have better vod because same content and they allow u to watch during takeoff, landing and even stopover. SQ is still running on colonial rules of not allowing vod to be on during takeoff and landing. That shaves off about one hour plus of viewing pleasure already.

st8800;878891 said:
Actually emirates have better vod because same content and they allow u to watch during takeoff, landing and even stopover. SQ is still running on colonial rules of not allowing vod to be on during takeoff and landing. That shaves off about one hour plus of viewing pleasure already.

Last I flew with EK was 2006 when I was based in UAE, I am sure lots has changed for better. Now that you reminded me, Etihad, the Abu Dabi airline, was(is ?) equally as good as SQ. Oh, Indian airline Jet Airways, VOD can view from takeoff too :) I love Air New Zealand too, but they don't have a lot of international route.

Still, flying from Singapore, SQ is my first choice.

But

wobbles;878875 said:
Maybe I'm just suay. The first time we (wifey and I) tried to be adventurous and flew biz class on Emirates to Manchester via Dubai we encountered:

a. Broken VOD unit on wife's seat
b. Malfunctioning chair adjustment on my seat
c. Power kept coming on and off to my in flight entertainment system

On the way back, we were delayed for 4 hours and the food ran OUT in the biz class lounge

We nearly missed the connecting flight in Dubai because of that delay (and there were no in-flight announcements/updates throughout that 1st of the return legs) and then, there were no clear signs indicating where to go to catch the connecting flight, nor were there any buggies provided (it was a fcuking long run fromone end of the terminal to the other).

It didn't help the confidence level very much to have a couple of passengers relate how this was the 4th time in 6 flights for them, that Emirates suffered a delay or was not on time...

I still have the extra 60,000 sky reward points they awarded me (and 45,000 extra ones for wifey - dunno why got discrepancy) after I wrote in a lengthy "even MW would have been proud of my Engrand" complaint letter, attached with scans of our boarding passes and pictures of the malfunctioning seat/VOD etc, but after that experience, we swore we'd go back to flying SQ.

I guess you never miss what you've taken for granted (flights departing close to or exactly on time, hot food that never seems to run out, equipment that frigging WORKS etc)- until you have them taken away from you!

think the extra reward points are for the lapses.

the American air lines routinely hand out feedback forms to passengers and encouraged them to fill up when there is seat malfunctions etc

usually get a credit anywhere from 70usd to 500usd you can use for next 1 year.

st8800;878891 said:
It depends on whether u r flying on new planes or not. I was able to watch movie from start till land when i board an A380 from Sg to Melbourne 2 or 3 yrs ago.

st8800;878891 said:

How many years ago was this? I've been able to play whichever movie I can, anytime I want from the start of the flight. I can even pause, rewind, fast forward... And oh, this was since some years back...

And wobbles, flight delay on Emirates... Super common. I have been on some flight, been there to "receive" people, usually about 1 hour later than the scheduled time. 1 hour in terms of landing time, not including all the taxi-ing. I'm guessing their planning is super rubber time.

I gave Emirates a try recently but sorry, it's still quite... sorry...

I like Cathay and I think they are quire comparable to SQ. Thai Airways can be quite hit and miss but generally quite good.

I got a different experience - they turned off everything. Announcements are interesting - once they announced the weather followed by we are on a collision course and awaiting for instructions.......

Shopping cart's POS battery flat. Ran out of drinks. Only had biscuits. But they were nice about it and kept apologizing .....

Hopefully they are not going down the smrt route....

BlackCookie;878957 said:
How many years ago was this? I've been able to play whichever movie I can, anytime I want from the start of the flight. I can even pause, rewind, fast forward... And oh, this was since some years back...

And wobbles, flight delay on Emirates... Super common. I have been on some flight, been there to "receive" people, usually about 1 hour later than the scheduled time. 1 hour in terms of landing time, not including all the taxi-ing. I'm guessing their planning is super rubber time.

I like Cathay and I think they are quire comparable to SQ. Thai Airways can be quite hit and miss but generally quite good.

davidtch;878954 said:
It depends on whether u r flying on new planes or not. I was able to watch movie from start till land when i board an A380 from Sg to Melbourne 2 or 3 yrs ago.

BlackCookie;878957 said:

Quite recent.... SIN - Seoul in Dec 2011.

BlackCookie;878957 said:

Only the long haul & newer flights (A380, 777-300) have VOD, the short haul flights on SQ mostly are still on the old video broadcast, i.e. you cannot rewind, pause, etc. So really depends on your luck on which plane is assigned.

On those flight with VOD, though you can start the show (if they didn't turn it off), they won't let you use headphones.

kon;879112 said:
Only the long haul & newer flights (A380, 777-300) have VOD, the short haul flights on SQ mostly are still on the old video broadcast, i.e. you cannot rewind, pause, etc. So really depends on your luck on which plane is assigned.

On those flight with VOD, though you can start the show (if they didn't turn it off), they won't let you use headphones.

Exactly.... so unless u bring your own headphones.... which is really spastic.... SQ = no brains.

Why are they in the red now after so many years of success? CAnnot move with the times. Just a dinosaur.... a has been.

there are reasons why they do things like no using of headphones during take off or landing.... with all the wires cluttering about, if there is any emergency, everyone will be panicking and tripping over these wires...

Having said that, my only grouse is the cabin crew are not doing enough to stop asses from using their hps incessantly before take off...people can actually have a conference call on the runway before take off and the cabin crew just look helplessly at the fella..and yes he was an ang moh

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhatvipdate

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back