ST Coilover

TohTo

Recently I asking for a quote at site sponsor WS for original Shock absorber + top mount + wheel alignment & labor.
The WS provide the quote for original parts. But he also recommended ST coilover, he claimed that it improved handling stability and remain ride comfort.
Any bros changed to ST coilover for E90 320i before? Any feedback?

Re: ST Coilover

Hi TohTo, I'm on ST on my 325 e90, comfortable and not harsh. But if u like very extreme cornering it is not as good as the harder suspension of course. But still better than stock of course. so depends on what u looking for :)

C3P0;803259 said:
Hi TohTo, I'm on ST on my 325 e90, comfortable and not harsh. But if u like very extreme cornering it is not as good as the harder suspension of course. But still better than stock of course. so depends on what u looking for :)

Bro Brobot, thanks for reply. I hope to improve my cornering but don't want to hard ride.
My daughter can get car sick quite easily, so if too bouncy will not be suitable.
How much the car height reduced with ST coilover? Will the rear bottom out if carry 3 passenger at the rear going over high hump?

Last edited by a moderator:

TohTo;803267 said:
Bro Brobot, thanks for reply. I hope to improve my cornering but don't want to hard ride.
My daughter can get car sick quite easily, so if too bouncy will not be suitable.
How much the car height reduced with ST coilover? Will the rear bottom out if carry 3 passenger at the rear going over high hump?

You're welcum, my pressure!

I think for the purpose u are looking for, it's a good coilover suitable for u at reasonable price. It's basically a kid and family friendly coilover in terms of comfort. I choose it instead of harder suspension because of my kid (so say my niece).

My height is 1 finger front, 0.5 finger rear. Note my finger is thin. U can set higher if u want to.

Rear won't bottom out over hump. Unless u go over the hump very very fast. Normal speed is absolutely fine.

Other bros here may have different experience so let's see what they say :)

I'm on ST too. Lowered my ride without compromising ride comfort. Hard but not harsh. Much better than my previous Bilsteins, B12 kit.

am on ST too on my E90....

Rocks............
cheerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs

Thanks all for your input. Can PM me how much and where you changed it?
Now I has to decide whether should paid more for the coilover for my 320i which left only 4+yrs or stay with stock shock.

TohTo;803575 said:
Thanks all for your input. Can PM me how much and where you changed it?
Now I has to decide whether should paid more for the coilover for my 320i which left only 4+yrs or stay with stock shock.

go for ST.........
4 years is a lot of Sheer Driving Pleasure............not 4 months

cheersssssssssssssssssss

go for reputable and branded coilover ... i would rather save money from CF and LED upgrade and plunge more into suspension, wheel and brake :D

ac323;803576 said:
go for ST.........
4 years is a lot of Sheer Driving Pleasure............not 4 months

Now just dreaming that if the COE had a drop of 50% or more in 2 yrs time, may suddenly want to change new ride :dance:
$90k for COE is too easy money for the garment:whipper::whipper:

ST coilover is good... Used on my E46 318i.

Am on it for 3 years already.

Finally, I changed to ST Coilover on Thursday.
Initial feel is ride is slightly harder than wornt out orginal Shock. However handling had improved.
2 weeks later will go for wheel alignment and adjust the final height for the shock after it has settle.
A good buy for

The initial height you set would decrease about half finger when it finally settle in.

Coupled with an ARB, like Hotchkis or H&R or any ARB thicker than stock, you will enjoy more sheer driving pleasure...

I wanted to adjust slightly higher for the ST coilover, cos when i am taking 3 person at the back it rub against. Can bro here advise which work shop can do it, and what is needed beside adjusting higher and the costs?

Thanks

andytanaikwee;817544 said:
I wanted to adjust slightly higher for the ST coilover, cos when i am taking 3 person at the back it rub against. Can bro here advise which work shop can do it, and what is needed beside adjusting higher and the costs?

Thanks

Why not go back to the WS that installed for you?

andytanaikwee;817544 said:

Thanks

why don't try to roll your fender first??

cheers

Can I check who is the dsitributor for St?

Just want to share with fellow forumers my experience in trying to source for new suspension for my E93 convertible.

A simple hoist of the car revealed that my shocks are all basically worn. Stock shocks coupled with Eibach lowering springs installed by previous owner means that the shocks were destined to become kaputt even before you can say the word "ai".

Also, it appears that options for the E93 convertible are limited primarily due to the fact that the car is very heavy, and some of the coilovers out there are really not meant to take that kind of stress, but would work perfectly well on say a E90 or E92.

My considerations were:
1. Durability (must last another four and a half years)
2. Handling (corner sui sui)
3. Not too low (current worn out shocks with lowering springs = scraping humps)
4. Price (less than 2K)

While the ST and BC BR coilovers are below this price point, I was advised that they were not designed to handle the weight of the E93 and will likely wear out prematurely.

Was looking at Bilstein B14, but similarly advised that it is too soft for the E93.

The safest option would probably be to go for a KW V3 coilover. But that is a lot of money.

Another option I'm seriously considering is to buy Bilstein B8 shocks to go with the Eibach lowering springs I currently have. Cheapest option so far. Hopefully this will also cure the scraping problem I have.

From this experience, I have learnt that suspension is such an art, and different people have different things to say :)

And the E93 is a royal pain in the ass to find suspension parts for primarily because of its weight :)

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back