Suitable grade of Engine Oil

Ahbengdriver

Legendary 10 Years
For E90 lets say, n lets forget the brand for a while, what is the grade to use?

I often see prices all over the shop, in full n partial synthetic grades, n with all the 10W-30 lah, 5W-40, 5W-50 n what hv you...see pay confuse leh.

What is the minimum to use n any brand to avoid. Does 2 brands with same numbers hv exactly same quality?

Sorry I am a complete beng re oil:screwedu:

Re: Suitable grade of Engine Oil

grade 40 is suitable
so 0w-40 is fine for your car....

the number next to the W is basically useless in our context so u should just look at the the last two digits. The higher , the thicker the oil

For normal road going passenger cars which are not FI'ed nor highly strung, using grade of 40 is fine.

I had an engine oil change recently and was recommended to use OWS grade 50. previously, i was using mobile one grade 40. i am not sure if it is because the new engine oil is thicker, the car feels sluggish now and the rpm on the 2rd and 3rd gear kindof drop whenever i release the throttle. also, it seems to be higher in petrol consumption these days. any comments? tks.

I use 10-30W. Always believe in good grade 10-30w, in this case redline oil. Since I do lots of start stop traffic, 10-30w seems to give good FC, revs smoothly, etc. Would recommend it for newer engines. Older engines >100k better use 40w oil. I think those 50 or NA racing oils are way too thick for normal city driving. It is more suited for track use.

we don't need the 0W, it is irrelevant. 30 or 40 for the 2nd number will give you good performance and good fuel economy.

10w-30 seems a bit thin to me. probably ok on a 4 cylinder, but only for start up. In Singapores weather, i think need a heavier weight oil.

you guys will never convince me the weight of the oil improves fuel economy nor does it effect rpm. If thats the case, why do drag cars use 50 or 60w?

I would use at least 40w, and for a 4 cylinder, 10w-40 at minimum.

phil;260978 said:
10w-30 seems a bit thin to me. probably ok on a 4 cylinder, but only for start up. In Singapores weather, i think need a heavier weight oil.

you guys will never convince me the weight of the oil improves fuel economy nor does it effect rpm. If thats the case, why do drag cars use 50 or 60w?

I would use at least 40w, and for a 4 cylinder, 10w-40 at minimum.

Think drag cars need 50 or 60w is because FC isn't an issue and they need the extra protection as they would be either running on extremely high compression on a NA or very high boost on a FI car. For circuit racing, temperatures would run at least 20-30 degrees hotter than normal street driving, and the thicker oils are needed at those high temp ranges.

30w is already good enough. Modern engines have very little tolerance. Someone here mentioned that his has run his SCed e46 on Sepang with 30W oil with no problems.

You just need to check every month to see if the oil level drops, but for relatively new engines, ie < 100k and < 5 years, 30w oil should be ideal for start stop traffic. Unless you go on long high speed runs on NS highway, you won't need 40w oil. But it is more of a preference than anything else. I've tried thick oils like OWS NA racing on my previous ride. The temperature was not as stable as when I used 10-30w redline oil or even KIC eco street. Also, in the mornings, engine felt very 'sticky'. :( But like i said, just preference.

do drag engines rev with such high viscosity oil? I pushed the recall on the tacho on a mates boat once, it had a 427 big block with stack injectors. It read 11.000 on recall, ran 50w oil. thats what i meant, doesnt effect revs at all

yes morning starts is why you need the 10w bit

Yapster;261286 said:
hey zennie do u still have good lobangs for redline?? im prob going to change my oil soon

was original planning to get castrol edge.. but redline was my fav!

You'll love what I am going to say....

Check out the Civic FD forum. Even if you don't have a civic (I don't now!), can still sign up.

S'pore Honda Civic FD Club :: Log in

Previously, the GB price was $17/quart. Now because of a price war, the latest offered by mxtradings is $15/quart! It'll be a good idea to stock at least 2 services worth.

By the way, the guy recommended me to use 10w-40 instead since he said that 30 may be slightly too thin for 'european' cars....maybe ideal for K20As but not ideal for my 6 potter. But ok for now since I only do normal city driving. :oops: No Sepang anymore.

Yapster;261714 said:
thats damn cheap!! i used to be getting 21 per quart!

any idea how much oil i'll need for E90 320 per oil change? 6 liters right?

Bro, not sure on the E90 320. Think 6 L should be enough. My 2.2L 6 cyl takes 7L! So settle for the 10w40. The GB was stopped because he offered at $13/L but that's actually below the cost but you can PM him (TX101 I think is his nick, refer to the post) to offer to buy it for $14/$15). Still, very cheap. Just get a bunch.....save the trouble of having to go again to pick up the oil.

beemer322;260854 said:
I had an engine oil change recently and was recommended to use OWS grade 50. previously, i was using mobile one grade 40. i am not sure if it is because the new engine oil is thicker, the car feels sluggish now and the rpm on the 2rd and 3rd gear kindof drop whenever i release the throttle. also, it seems to be higher in petrol consumption these days. any comments? tks.

i have ditched the ows w50 and changed it to a mobile one 0w40. now my car is back to normal; no more sluggish and hit 120km on the first quarter mark on the fuel gauge. when it was running the w50 oil, it managed only less 100km. but i was told by a mechanic that for e46 320i, we should use w50 and for e90 320, we should use w40 because it is valvetronic???

I just changed my oil to Texas Revolution Super High Performance Engine Oil (Titanium Plus).

This was recommended by a group of friends and now the engine runs a lot smoother and quieter.. Almost like a brand new one; horsepower and torque were noted to be so much better during acceleration and cruising.

This is not imported oil but instead blended by a local firm TEXAS PETROCHEMICAL ASIA PACIFIC PTE LTD using space-age nanotechnology which is not cheap. At a retail price of SG$70 per litre, you can run the car for 20,000km before oil change. In fact, in Japan, there's a claim of 40 horsepower increment with the use of this oil (though I'm not quite certain about it.)

Some information on this oil:

1. The grade of oil is 5W-50
2. It is a nano synthetic-based oil
3. It is suitable for all ranges of cars; new, old or vintage
4. The company did a demo in Sentosa. They mixed the oil with litres of water inside the engine. Unbelievably, the engine's still running smoothly with the car moving. The temperature was normal and no vibration.
5. Presently, Porche, Ferrari and many types as small as Getz are using it.

Cheers!

Junior;263106 said:
I just changed my oil to Texas Revolution Super High Performance Engine Oil (Titanium Plus).

This was recommended by a group of friends and now the engine runs a lot smoother and quieter.. Almost like a brand new one; horsepower and torque were noted to be so much better during acceleration and cruising.

This is not imported oil but instead blended by a local firm TEXAS PETROCHEMICAL ASIA PACIFIC PTE LTD using space-age nanotechnology which is not cheap. At a retail price of SG$70 per litre, you can run the car for 20,000km before oil change. In fact, in Japan, there's a claim of 40 horsepower increment with the use of this oil (though I'm not quite certain about it.)

4. The company did a demo in Sentosa. They mixed the oil with litres of water inside the engine. Unbelievably, the engine's still running smoothly with the car moving. The temperature was normal and no vibration.

Cheers!

At $70 per litre, you must love your car a lot!

On the other hand, I was previously from Monash, where a lot of car makers in Australia does their testing and demo on the campus facilities. We have facilities for wind tunnel test, crash test and various other facilities that i don't even know what they are for.

I have seen them doing the same test with their Ford XR8 (V8 Engine). ie, they put engine oil (mobile 1 tri synthetic) run it for 30 min. Drain it out, and run the engine for another 30 min. Same results. Engine is still smooth and no other vital points were noticably out.

What the engineer told us is that modern engine are acustom to run with very little engine oil, for a short time, once the engine has be conditioned with enough oil all around previously. The crevice and oil sump will retain just a little bit of oil when you drain it, and those will be enough for a short period of time.

He did say that a brand new engine straight out from the assembly line would not be able to take the same test.

However, these test are done without load and on idle.

I have also seen them do factory run-in, as specified by some car makers. Boy... i would seriously rather run in the engine myself. it is scary

I personally find these test done by such company / distributor a bit skewed. And to be taken with a pinch of salt. But that is my 2 cents worth

Hi. i have bought AMSOIL XL 10w 40 for my old car, but sold off my car b4 i could use it. Has anyone tried it on a E46 before? TW i never used amsoil b4. :)

Can check out Carlube 5w30 Longlife Fully Synth 5L having promotion @ NTUC Xtra AMK Hub & Hougang Point only $39.90 promotion price.

Junior;263106 said:

Cheers!
Wow $70 per litre.... thats sounds really expensive. Anyway, I have read their website and they mentioned nano metallugry technology. I am not sure what they are exactly using to coat the cylinder walls etc but there are products based on molybdenum or boron compounds does similar things. The particles stick themselves to the walls of the pistons, cylinder walls etc and fill up all pits, uneven surface etc. and create a smooth friction free surface.

What Texas petrochemical has done may be more advice since boron and moly based products have been around for decades. However, I don't think I will really trust in what they said till I see them being proven in races. You can check out below for more info regard moly

Moly Basics

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iqlancesolutions
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back