Taste of IS250

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruxli

Hi guys,
Had a chance to test the IS today...Like to share my 5cents view....

Good points:
-overall was good, very quiet and looks good inside.
-the drive is not bad but hardly had a chance to really test the 202bhp.

Some negative points:
-if take a closer look, the backside looks a bit like Mazda3.
-when i try to dash initially, there's a very slight lag.
-I still feels this car is a bit soft on the suspension, so handling wise, dun think as good as the bimmer.

Just my own opinion. The entry price is $125,888.:singsing:

Re: Taste of IS250

all lexus have soft suspension, of coz handling wise goes to bmw...
thanks for sharing dude..

hackzi said:
Is it true that the IS350 is available through Borneo Motors on ident basis?

Bro, the ans is NO, Borneo Motor is not gonna bring in any IS350 at all no matter how many ppl is looking for it. The rumor is plain bullshit.

Snail_Mobile said:
Bro, the ans is NO, Borneo Motor is not gonna bring in any IS350 at all no matter how many ppl is looking for it. The rumor is plain bullshit.

ya i agree, though i didn't ask, but i think if they bring in the IS350, it will have conflict with their GS cos price should be around there.....:juggle:

I was also there yesterday to look at it. It came with a gated gearbox (if this is the right term), whereby you need to move left-right, up-down just to switch from P to D. Is there any particular advantage to such a gearbox? I've never liked it when I rented a Merc C class in the past.

Explorer said:
I was also there yesterday to look at it. It came with a gated gearbox (if this is the right term), whereby you need to move left-right, up-down just to switch from P to D. Is there any particular advantage to such a gearbox? I've never liked it when I rented a Merc C class in the past.

That's why one of the things I love about my car is the simple but classy looking shift stick. Just 4 position with no funny looking train tracks gates. I'm the type that loves clean lines and as little cluster as possible. So the E90 is perfect...

Love my hidden cup holders too... Just nice to put Coke Light.:)

Also here is my AH BENG impression of the IS. I gotta see it 2 weeks back due to 'insider contacts'. Only saw them [8 cars] in the garage, didnt get to drive it.

Can only say for the exterior looks n whatever I could see for the interior outside locked windows:
Whats nice : head light shapes, some nice colour choices for body exterior, leather seats, competitive pricing
What is not so nice to me: Oversized[I felt] wing mirrors which look like those on SUVs, the front grill resembling cars such as NISSAN SUNNY, rather plain styling for a car supposedly meant as sports sedan, cheapo looking rim covers for the entry model resembling small cars, interior wise too much of mercedes resemblence not that its not nice but lacking originality giving copycat feeling, the gearbox as someone mentioned earlier - I hate those left-right-centre-up-down motion......lousy drivers like me probably need to lookdown each time i change gears which takes my eyes off the road...., lack of GPS altho the saleman keep saying competes with 325i

I know lexus saleman is gonna kill me saying so much...wait hor guys....am going down for test drive n if I change my perception of it, it may be my new car and my current 320i will be passed on to wifey :)

The rear is VERY CRAMPED. Front okay, but make sure you sit in the rear.

Rear light cluster a little too fussy.

Nice leather seats though.

test drove the car yesterday
typical lexus.....quiet with the cocooned feeling
not alot of feedback from the road
drove it pretty hard and like what everyone has said....handling not really up to par to BMW
it didn't take the corners too well....noticeable body roll.....
must say that the transmission was pretty smooth but there was quite a lag between gear changes
i was also unable to hold on to one gear for too long....it will upshift relatively low on the rev range
when you put the transmission in manual mode, i found the gear too close to my body that shifting with the stick was uncomfortable
the paddle shifters worked fine with no flimsy feeling
the engine wasn't very punchy......didn't feel that much faster than my e46 318
power delivery was pretty linear....no real surprise since its na
having said that, a nice car to have if you just want to cruise along and enjoy the sound system and be oblivious to your surroundings
but not for the driving enthusiast

Yar, I also think the wing mirrors, they transplanted it from the RX300! Fugly...

PS: The C70 is a work of art though, went down to see it on Sat - got to see e amazing origami roof at work too! ;)

yeah...forgot to mention about the side mirrors
they are huge........they looked like air brakes......
at least they tried to make them aerodynamic :lol2:

Thought the rear looks like that of a Mazda 3 when I came up close and personal to it yesterday.

C70's butt is butt ugly IMO

Ok fello BengMW-ers :nehnehhh: This week I am doing nothing as it is school holidays, so it is a test driving week to be, as I search out the potential candidates of a second car [shld I decide to eventually get one more car ]. Went down with my little boy after breakfast, reached Borneo at alexandra at 10am and tada....test drove! Field report in BENG style:

Greeted by 3 gals at the reception, "toyota or lexus sir""..."errhmm, LEXUS arh":screwedu: "sir lexus pls turn to yr right"...Ok turn lor :yikess:

Met a SE who was playing cat and mouse with me around the 2 displayed IS250. Took a good look all round the car. Had to say the frontal view is OK, the side profile isnt very nice to me. The ass profile looks a bit like 3 Series somehow. In fact further checks of its interior revealled that LEXUS seem to try to copy on MERCEDES n BMW in certain ways and come out with somethg of a combo....well not unexpected as the SE frankly pointed out the IS250 is to compete agst the C-class n 3-series.

Sat in the test drive car[std version]. chrome n titanium colour fishes with grey /biege finishes, nicer than the walnut wooden trims on lux version I felt. Seat very soft, with littles to cool yr back n bantak bcos aircon goes thru the seat. Dash board very mercedes like, nothing exceptional to me.....many things it has the MB n BMW also already have. The centre console n gear lever is the greatest setback to me. The console is raised so high[unlike the BMW for eg] it actually divides the driver n front passenger as seats are almost 4 inches lower than console height. the speedmeter and front gadgets are quite nice. The gear box also has that zig/zag movement from P to D/S.....somethg I personally dont like. The steering had softy leather feel.

Press the start button, vrroomm......yes very quiet engine. but too quiet to me as when u drive on u kinda feel like someone has covered yr ears with both palms....my E90 is louder, but I like it. THE IS250 has a very light steering, thru out the test drive i used one hand, or literally only 3 fingers to drive the car. The is some lag in response when u try to push the car from stationery, and altho the SE keeps telling me the car is 100kg heavier than the 3 series, I didnt feel much of it. probably bcos the steering is so light, feels like my previous nissan sunny, very japanese indeed. Tried the sports mode and didnt notice too much difference from D mode. Road handling wise I wld say a definite winner for merc and BMW, the IS250 feels too 'light'.

The std version is $125,888 and comes without rain sensor, no front parking sensors, a simpler Stereo system, 16 wheels with cheapo rim covers that u wld definitely need to change[ the SE tells me so far all the cust feels the same :singsing: ]. Also have no sun blind in the rear.

So whats my conclusion, sounds like a dissapointment? Not really, after going there in my 320i, driving teh IS250 back to back, and then driving my 320i back home again. the feeling is the IS250 [no matter what the manufacturer say] to me is built very differently vs a BMW. The IS is built to be 'LIGHT' and quiet. The BMWs have better traction n much better road handling. What would score for IS250 is the supposedly comparably cheaper price tag vs 325i. It is still a fairly good car but I still feel cant compete with merc or BMW yet. the best simple description would be it is has a combo of feeling of HONDA VTEC for smoothness and comfort of a Camry. But wait, price tag? THE IS for eg doesnt come with GPS system which the 325i has. I would do a apple vs apple comparison later, ie strip out items which both cars dont have as a good comparison needs to take into account all accesories n items, then work back the differences to get the 'dirty price' off the 'clean price'.

I also went to view the Merc B-class B200 Turbo........now that car is nice n a closer competitor to me agst the 3 series.

Ah Beng,

Thanks for the review!

Seems like the IS250 would appeal to a different type of driver. From your descriptions, it sounds more 'executive' than the E90 - and definitely not as beng and engaging.. keke

Surprised that the power delivery is not as immediate.. The quiteness is usually a plus point for city traffic, but with the quietness comes the detachment from the car I believe..

BTW, I thought the GPS is non-standard even on the 325i??

No worries, this week my partime job is test driver . I am at your mercies, just tell me what car review u all want I will test drive them......kekeke

The LEXUS IS would appeal to those who wants a 'luxury car' at the most affordable price. I am not saying these people cant afford cars and try to push their dollar limits, but what i mean is the IS250 did try to throw in a lot of things to please prospective buyers, but then more in the lux version than std version.

Puny said:
BTW, I thought the GPS is non-standard even on the 325i??

According to the spec sheet from PML. it has a Navigation System....which I am told cost like $10k. So when comparing 325i vs IS250 lux version, these r thgs I feel need to be considered.

Ahbengdriver said:
The LEXUS IS would appeal to those who wants a 'luxury car' at the most affordable price. .

I went down to see the car with my Brother in law who is quite keen. When we tried to bargain the price down from S$125k , the Lexus SE told us that the IS will not compete with the BMW 320 on price. In fact , he even suggsted that if our budget is not more than $120k , to get a BMW 320 as it is a cheaper car .
(My Brother in law already got a quote for S$119k for AA version + 3 yr maintence .)

Seems like Lexus has already sold about 500 IS . For certain colors , we had to wait till June for delivery as there is a worldwide shortage.

To be fair , the Lexus SE was not rude or arrogrant, he was actually quite nice and just speaking as a matter of fact . It does seem the Lexus IS time has finally arrived.

The IS is a very refined & dynamic car. However, on drive and handling, I think the BMW 3 has a slight edge . It will cater to those who want everything execpt the handling , even so, IS comes damned close .

( Incidentally , the IS vehicle gross weight is actually slightly heavier than the BMW 320.)

Ahbengdriver said:
No worries, this week my partime job is test driver . I am at your mercies, just tell me what car review u all want I will test drive them......kekeke

The LEXUS IS would appeal to those who wants a 'luxury car' at the most affordable price. I am not saying these people cant afford cars and try to push their dollar limits, but what i mean is the IS250 did try to throw in a lot of things to please prospective buyers, but then more in the lux version than std version.

Ahbeng,

After reading the first few sentences of your candid review, I confirmed you fake beng coz your engrand very "kuat" like mine. Now can u pls go test drive the Golf GTI and review that too coz someone juz told me today that it is a beng car. I need your second opinion. Kum xia many many.:lol2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hitclub999com
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back