Taste of IS250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Taste of IS250

Hi I am new to this forum and this is my first posting.

I currently own a BMW E46 320i. Just turned 4 years old, time to sell. Lots of problems.
Problems surfacing one after another ... getting very sick of BMW's unreliability (or is it PML?).
Decided to use the IS250 nic, since I was so impressed with the car when I recently went out for a spin in it. I think my heart belongs there already.

High center gearbox console? Most sports cars have that what (and I am not referring to the rally car derivatives like the WRX or Evo) - but the likes of Lambos, Ferrari, even Japanese cars like Silvia, 350Z, Skyline etc. I don't see that as an intrusion, but more a design feature of a true sports car (though I am not saying that the IS250 is one yah).

The leathers are first class - softer, smoother and finer than any found in a BMW car (the latter's really of less-superior quality; not top-hide at all).

Yah rear seats are tight. But the idea of a family man buying a car like the IS250 to seat his family of 5 is just ridiculous. Then he should stick to a family sedans like the E90 320i or 323i. To me cars above 200 BHP are a different kettle of fish altogether. No compare.

And the paddles, yes the paddles! I'd have that over any Steptronic gear shifts any time. Real cool man, in pure metal somemore (not plastic). There's just too much plastic appearing in BMW buttons on the steering wheel. I also find the silver plate on the 323i's steering wheel real awful. But to each his own, I guess.

And there is no real lag lah, based on my test drive. Initial 'lethargy' is due to the V6 - that is if you are more used to driving IL4 engines. That lag exists in my 320i IL6 too, worse in fact. Wait till you reach near 6000 RPM on the IS250, or at its peak 205 BHP on open express ways. Analogy: Like an iron fist in a silkened leather glove. That's Lexus for you. It will outrun on straights, out-steer and out-maneuver round bends the E90 323i, don't even talk about the 320i.

The 325i? Pay $50K more, then let's talk.

Just a note: the last 2 posters are singing praises about the IS, but incidentally just reg to post the very same virgin posts. :)

Maybe they're from Borneo Motors?.......Just a wild guess......

totally agree.......... let's hope everyone else can see it, writing styles almost similar too.

how about letting me test drive the iS250, den i write an FR

I think it's ok to register and post though!..

It's good to have balanced views of the Lexus IS250. The IS is well-raved in other parts of the world and sales figures are very impressive as well (esp for the IS350).

Ultimately, potential buyers also have to test drive and determine if the respective pros and cons are valid - highlighting the advantages and faults will help the buyers to take note of these points as well when reviewing the cars. Maybe to them, some are non-issues at all.

Puny said:

It's good to have balanced views of the Lexus IS250. The IS is well-raved in other parts of the world and sales figures are very impressive as well (esp for the IS350).

bro, if today u gng to their official launch at Ritz, I bet they gng to give u 10 goodie bag. Pass 2 to me. Kum xia many many.

Funny thoughts I have.....

I remembered reading all the magazines on the IS250 review recently (you can find all of them still i think in some of the grooming workshop where they keep to allow customers to read)..... and I always have this thoughts that car manufacturers give incentives to these reviewers to say something positve about their cars.

Guess what? All of them will compare the IS250 with BMW 3 series.... and will always end with a final choice of a BMW 3 over the Lexus. Funny.

Guess it is really "to each his own". Some will buy Lexus, some will buy a BMW. But for me (and maybe for most of the BMW drivers here), the pure driving pleasure, the sophisticated technology, the blue-and white logo, the sexy curves of a BMW will always be hard for other cars to beat!

It is known as the "Driving Machine" for a reason.

But of course, if everybody have the same taste and same preference, it will be very boring to have all cars on the roads with BMW logo! :)

Orh LuLu said:
bro, if today u gng to their official launch at Ritz, I bet they gng to give u 10 goodie bag. Pass 2 to me. Kum xia many many.
Haha, no lah.. not going.

But the points about the cars have been highlighted by those who've seen them (BMW, Lexus). If they were malicious or exaggerated, it won't help either sides to sell the cars better..

Oops... hope I dint start smtg, just merely pointing out my observations. :)

I like the forum cos it's objective, but personally, if I'm in the market now for an executive sports sedan, I'll prolly pick the IS250 over the 320i, cos the latter's looks just dunt cut it for me.

(Of cos I'll only committ AFTER ensuring that they are aerodynamic aftermarket mirrors for the IS la... ;))

The keys to comparison between Lexus IS to BMW 3-series:

Driving Dynamics (handling n performance in general) : BMW>Lexus
Reliability : BMWLexus, at least locally...the same can't be said in the US.
After Sales Service : PML

IS250 said:
Yah rear seats are tight. But the idea of a family man buying a car like the IS250 to seat his family of 5 is just ridiculous. Then he should stick to a family sedans like the E90 320i or 323i. To me cars above 200 BHP are a different kettle of fish altogether. No compare.
Since the 330i and 325i share the same platform as the E90, this point is not really valid. I know alot of people looking at the IS250 or the E90 are family men.

The GS300 for example is well over 200bhp, but not all the owners are hot-blooded drivers.

axl said:
Oops... hope I dint start smtg, just merely pointing out my observations. :)

I like the forum cos it's objective, but personally, if I'm in the market now for an executive sports sedan, I'll prolly pick the IS250 over the 320i, cos the latter's looks just dunt cut it for me.
Axl, no lah..

Just felt that Sunboy's review is quite reasonable and one that does provide a different perspective.. I think most of the reactions are on IS250's postings though. keke. ;)

Haha no la I'm not IS250 la. I guess Bro IS250 have the same general good feeling of the car as me, but some of my comments do differ from his.

I registered to quite a few 'luxury sedan' car forums recently (since last week) cos thinking of getting a luxury sedan. Just wanna popped in to see comments about the various makes and models to do a comparison. But the IS250 was the first car that I went to see and somehow my mind just 'fixed' on it liao. Well, meebee I am indeed bias huh? :) Haha ok I shall go test drive some other models to see how the IS250 matches up.

Mark_Twain said:
Funny thoughts I have.....

I remembered reading all the magazines on the IS250 review recently (you can find all of them still i think in some of the grooming workshop where they keep to allow customers to read)..... and I always have this thoughts that car manufacturers give incentives to these reviewers to say something positve about their cars.

I agree that car reviewers cannot be trusted completely.

Take the recent review of the IS250 by a reviewer (hmm was it Christopher Tan that I read??) for example. The 1st para to last para was raving with good comments. The final para even say that the IS250 looks good to pip the BMW 3-series. But let's put it this way: how can he give a lousy, or even average, comment when Lexus pay for his trip, accomodation, and expenses to Japan to test drive the car?

That is why I always have my reservations when reading car reviews. Prefer to hear it from bros at a car club or discussion forum..

Analogy: Like an iron fist in a silkened leather glove. That's Lexus for you. It will outrun on straights, out-steer and out-maneuver round bends the E90 323i, don't even talk about the 320i.

The 325i? Pay $50K more, then let's talk.[/QUOTE]

I am not trying to "stir shit" here.......Friendly friendly ok?

IS 250 shd be compared to 325i or 323i in terms of performance.

But IS250 out-steer and out-maneuver BMW round the bends? (Let's say 323i lah, ok?)

NO FREAKIN' WAY!!!! (Based on similar driver abilities)

CHeers!

TripleM said:
The keys to comparison between Lexus IS to BMW 3-series:

Driving Dynamics (handling n performance in general) : BMW>Lexus
Reliability : BMWLexus, at least locally...the same can't be said in the US.
After Sales Service : PML BMW
Engine: Lexus > BMW (IS250 engine in Ward's 2006 Top 10 list. BMW only its 3L engine)
Full-sized spare wheel: Lexus. BMW has none :oops:
F1 paddles: Lexus.
Brand Image: Lexus > BMW in the US over last many years and coming up fast in the UK
And did you say Reliability? Lexus Top 3 in JD Powers list over last 5 years.

Puny said:

Ultimately, potential buyers also have to test drive and determine if the respective pros and cons are valid - highlighting the advantages and faults will help the buyers to take note of these points as well when reviewing the cars. Maybe to them, some are non-issues at all.

No malice intended. Just the truth about how I see the IS250 and felt after test driving it.
A view that has been formed (on a current BMW owner) that will be difficult to erase.
Sometimes the truth may be hard to accept for some. But that's life.

Even if you do not agree with me now, that's OK.
But just watch the big "L" ... its gonna overtake the BMW brand one day, if it hasn't already in some parts of the world (e.g. in the USA).

TobyNik said:

But IS250 out-steer and out-maneuver BMW round the bends? (Let's say 323i lah, ok?)

CHeers!

One late Sat night, quite sometime back, me with my 320i and a friend who owns the IS200 went to South Buona Vista Road to test our cars. First me in front, then on the return, he in front. Let me tell you I have to really focus to keep up. After a couple of rounds, we switched cars. I have never really driven an IS200 before, but it impressed me a lot. It kinda felt better balanced (not as nose heavy) as the E46 2.2L. I think it handled a tad better than my car. Honest. Only thing is that its 2L did not match well with its 4-speed auto tranny. Later checking the overhangs, its got shorter overhangs than the E46 ... compared side by side!

I know now we are talking about the IS250.

IS250 said:
One late Sat night, quite sometime back, me with my 320i and a friend who owns the IS200 went to South Buona Vista Road to test our cars. First me in front, then on the return, he in front. Let me tell you I have to really focus to keep up. After a couple of rounds, we switched cars. I have never really driven an IS200 before, but it impressed me a lot. It kinda felt better balanced (not as nose heavy) as the E46 2.2L. I think it handled a tad better than my car. Honest. Only thing is that its 2L did not match well with its 4-speed auto tranny. Later checking the overhangs, its got shorter overhangs than the E46 ... compared side by side!

I know now we are talking about the IS250.

Fair enough....But E90 chasis really something else! Go try it, take it to the bends and WACK THE BUGGER.....You will be spotting a silly grin on your face.....

Cheers!

TobyNik said:

CHeers!

Bro, let me tell you something...I had E46 320 (2.0 IL6) for 1 ys, E39 (2.2 IL6) 1 yr & the last BMW was E39 525iA for 3.5 years. Also I've test driven the Mark X 2.5 litre (JDM model suppose to be same chassis as IS250) my personal conclusion: The latest jipoon car can outgun the BMW IL6 2.5 192 bhp with ease (needless to say the 177bhp 323ia) and handling dept not as bad as you've mentioned. Got to accept that others are catching up real fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taixiugo88club
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back