Taste of IS250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Taste of IS250

arsenal62 said:
Bro, let me tell you something...I had E46 320 (2.0 IL6) for 1 ys, E39 (2.2 IL6) 1 yr & the last BMW was E39 525iA for 3.5 years. Also I've test driven the Mark X 2.5 litre (JDM model suppose to be same chassis as IS250) my personal conclusion: The latest jipoon car can outgun the BMW IL6 2.5 192 bhp with ease (needless to say the 177bhp 323ia) and handling dept not as bad as you've mentioned. Got to accept that others are catching up real fast!

Bro

I agree, I tested my neighbour's MarkX and felt that it is very good also but you gotta admit that when it comes to corners, BMW still a tad tighter leh.....

Straight line....Aiyo...I agree lah...Jipoon Chia always Chiet LIM PEH JI TEH JI TEH......

I do not think that the jipoon chia handling is bad, just still not as accomplished in corners (esp).

And when you talk about Lexus, comfort is important.

GUN TONG TENG KOK KOK BUAY SAI......that's why I stressed Corners NIA......GUM BOH?

Cheers!

No matter how good the tuning is for the brand under LEXUS, there still a gap be4 they catch-up wif BMWs, jus becos they're selling the car as (LEXUS = Luxury = Comfort).
Although, advertising as a sports sedan, the tuning is still lining towards the comfort side instead of performance.
So, if pure power comparison IS250 comes real close to 325i, but when it comes to handling, the IS250 is still a tag lower.

IS250 said:
Hi I am new to this forum and this is my first posting.

I currently own a BMW E46 320i. Just turned 4 years old, time to sell. Lots of problems.
Problems surfacing one after another ... getting very sick of BMW's unreliability (or is it PML?).
Decided to use the IS250 nic, since I was so impressed with the car when I recently went out for a spin in it. I think my heart belongs there already.

Hello bro, welcome to this forum!

Wah your nic very similar to mine leh! But yours newer (model) lah :)

Well I agree with you that the IS250 is a great car, engine, body styling, leather interior and all ... maybe even better than the entry level 3-er models in many ways.

But I think the new electric steering may be its own undoing. Too light for some?
On an over-assisted electric steering, some people's perception may be that handling is not as good, when it actually is.

I also feel that switching the rear suspensions from double wishbones to multi-link is a downgrade ... in terms of suspension performance. Luckily Lexus still retained the front double wishbones.

I actually also prefer the old IS200's cast iron engine block. Less resonating NVH IMO. But technology and weight reduction is pushing engine manufacturers toward aluminum alloys ... BMW included.

V6 may be good. But again, my preference is still the IL6 config.
So still keeping my IS200 and my new 523i. Best of wht the East and West has to offer?

hi all -

the intention of my review wasn't to bash the is.
actually my family bought one.
as a package, its tough to beat.
it was just my impression of the car.
depending on your needs, the lexus may or may not be your cup of tea.
as to the conering ability of the is, like what is200 said, the steering can feel too light for some.
also, i have driven other 2.5l cars and i was expecting a bit more oomph from the is.
maybe its there, just that the ride was so insulated that i couldn't feel it.
there is no hard and fast rule to say which car is superior because neither is.
just that one is more performance oriented and the other is more comfort oriented.

IS250 said:
Let me add on to that:

Power per $price: Lexus > BMW (whether 325i or 323i)
NVH Supression: Lexus > BMW
Engine: Lexus > BMW (IS250 engine in Ward's 2006 Top 10 list. BMW only its 3L engine)
Full-sized spare wheel: Lexus. BMW has none :oops:
F1 paddles: Lexus.
Brand Image: Lexus > BMW in the US over last many years and coming up fast in the UK
And did you say Reliability? Lexus Top 3 in JD Powers list over last 5 years.

To balance it further:

Smooth "Creamy" Refined Ride: Lexus > BMW 3
Quality Hi-Fi System: Lexus > BMW 3
0-100KmH Acceleration: Lexus IS250 > (more costly) BMW 320
Quick Engine Response: 320 4 cyl > IS250 6 cyl
Sense the Road through Steering and suspension: BMW > Lexus

BMW 3
0-100KmH Acceleration: Lexus IS250 > (more costly) BMW 320
Quick Engine Response: 320 4 cyl > IS250 6 cyl
Sense the Road through Steering and suspension: BMW > Lexus>>

aaaa.....I thot 325i gives an output of 218 BHP vs IS250 of 205BHP? which seems correct bcos that day the irritating SE keeps humming in my ear the IS 250 is abt 100kg heavier. But whats the big deal of a few BHPs here n there. Every car forum i visited lately one could find quite a few never-ending comparisons on apple vs orange terms, not even on red apple vs green apple if it would make any good sense.
Actually, this time round I really have to give the marketing strategy of the IS250 a thumbs up. that they make the base model a 2.5L workhorse vs BMW and Merc of 2L and 1.8L is sort of like an 'upgrade'. I felt its very smart. Some new customers will be tuned to think of the extra power of the IS250 vs these base models of conti cars, without consciously thinking abt the different displacement....or making a red fuji apple va red gala apple comparison. bcos a lot of people will use the IS250 and compare base to base with teh 320 or C180. Honestly, Aiya I am finding it quite sian already. if u like LEXUS buy lor, if u like BMW, buy lor.

When so far why I didnt buy a lexus? I almost bot a LEXUS RX300 3 months back, until someone from a PI shop told me:
Heh, LEXUS is suppose to stand for something like 'Luxury EXecutive cars made by toyota for the US market' :yikess: in short. My wife's face frown after she heard that. then the PI showed me an awaiting-collection "LEXUS" in his shop at UBI automart, well its lexus all round look alike and he told me if I buy his Harrier 2.4L, he could do up my car in teh same way, even replace the steering wheel with a LEXUS badged steering which he claims is original. So what am I trying to say here? Nothing...i just dont like L-EX-US. :uhhh: is it a good car, better or worse car compared to MB or BMW? it doesnt matter cos I dont bother.

axl said:
Just a note: the last 2 posters are singing praises about the IS, but incidentally just reg to post the very same virgin posts. :)

ok ok I own up, both of them are actually me :nehnehhh:

Quote: "aaaa.....I thot 325i gives an output of 218 BHP vs IS250 of 205BHP?"

Reply: Sorry, was comparing BMW and Lexus dollar for dollar, not cc for cc, thus compared 320 with IS250 (8-10K less)

Quote: "Honestly, Aiya I am finding it quite sian already. if u like LEXUS buy lor, if u like BMW, buy lor."

Reply: Wish it were so easy. Both 320 and IS250 have their draws and drawbacks. One is stylistically engaging and urgent and the other easy and relaxed. I'm sure most people appreciate the appeal of both styles but can only afford one car.

Clarification: dsdfan is posting on his own behalf.

is dsdfan you as well? the IP numbers are the same.
if so, pls stop this sort of posting

Mockngbrd said:
is dsdfan you as well? the IP numbers are the same.
if so, pls stop this sort of posting

May I suggest we just close and lock this thread. Its getting quite distasteful. This can go on until both the E90 and IS series becomes replaced by newer models. Machiam like PAP vs SDP n WP.

Ahbengdriver said:
Its getting quite distasteful. .

Your few post in this thread is distasteful. u r slapping urself..hiaz and gek sim.

:withstup: :withstup: oppss...pai seh, I talked too much liao. Anyway i have only 1 nickname here, just pulling the leg of someone :oops:

well....

i saw the IS 250 in the flesh last night - white colour.

My take on it?

Oh my god.... it damn UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pardon me.... but:
1. Rear is horrendous.. so high? what were they thinking?
2. Rims so tiny they look like toys
3. Side panels way too high, making the car look out of proportion, esp with the small rims.
4. The mirrors are bizzare. (what in the world are those?????? elephant ears on chopsticks??)
5. Interior - looks like any other car... but to be fair, i didnt seat on it so maybe this comment is not valid...
6. Front view- looks like a shrunk GS300..... werid.....

If I see a car like this, i wont even bother test driving....

and I thot corrolas were ugly..... until.....

*faint*

I like the GS300 :)

The lines and size are pretty nice.

But like with most of these cars, they really should come shod with 18inch rims/tyres.

Borneo should be shot for allowing 16 inch rims!!!

I had the chance to test drive the 323i and the IS250 back to back yesterday so I do not forget the feel of either. There were 2 of us test driving the cars one after another and we drove the 323i for a good 15-20 minutes in total. The IS250 was slightly shorter at abt 10 minutes total for 2 drivers. This means I had the chance of being a passenger as well.

The 323i was the first car we tested. The interior is of course identical to the 320i (without i-drive). Relative to the IS250, it is very basic. The rims were 17 inches and I personally found them a little awkward shaped (compred to the rest of the 3-series - 320i, 325i, 330i).

Moving off in the 323i, the brakes were quite bitey - moving off and stopping in small paces was a little jerky. Steering feel was very good and weighted heavily.

Drove in D mode until I reached the traffic lights and I immediately switched to Sport mode. Throttle response was pretty immediate and it moved off quickly. When depressing the throttle harder, the engine note can be heard quite early on and it holds the same louder note til it reaches the higher revs - it sounded a little more pitchy than the E46 inline 6s. Both stand-still and on the road acceleration provided decent surge and was very accessible.

Road noise was surprisingly low despite the run flat tyres and the comfort was high - the dampening over humps and ridges was comfortable enough, yet firm; no "bouncing" on the descent.

The stock suspension (sports) setup on the 323i is impressive. Taking around the bends inspired alot of confidence even for aggressive driving. No excessive roll and controllable with relative ease. It'll be quite a waste to change the suspension to aftermarket kits.

On the whole, the paddle feel/response (brakes + throttle) is quite sensitive and immediate which I like.

Next we headed down to the Lexus showroom and arranged for a test drive. There were 2 test cars available and we took the luxury edition.

I took note of the rear passenger seats and the legroom was not as bad as anticipated. The headroom is much lower which may explain the crampness by other member reviews. Honestly, there were bits of plastic littered in the smallest of places like the door child lock, the gear shift plates and the heavy plastic gloss on the gear console.

Inside the car, there were alot of gadgetry. Noticably, the keyless entry, the auto-tilting headlamps, the seat coolers, front and rear parking sensors and the rev meter that lights up at a pre-set limit to prompt the driver to change gears. The paddleshift paddles were larger and made of plastic. When the engine is off, the steering wheel moves up to provide easier access. On the whole the gadgets are very well thought - like larger more expensive continental models.

Moving off the carpark, the steering was significantly lighter than the bimmer. It's very light to steer. Moving off the humps does feel a little tad more dampened. The accelerator was different too and much softer to the foot - admittedly, it's more spongey and that's the throttle feel.

Moving off in normal drive mode, the car was initially less responsive than the bimmer due to the different throttle feel. It was quiet inside the car, although the road noise is not much (perhaps even the same) as the bimmer. No where near the GS300/E60 5-series though.

I found the Drive mode quite normal and easy to cruise around. Thus I switched to the Sport mode to get a feel of the engine. Surprisingly, it didn't feel much different for the lower revs. The acceleration in the lower end was no different from the Drive mode - in essense, it wasn't pronounced unless you push the car a bit more.

Higher up in the rev counts (ard 3,500-4,000rpm), the engine note increases noticably. It sounded more bass-ey and the acceleration starts to pick up from there. The engine note also increases more aggressively towards the end of the rev range - somewhat exponentially. It's quite a punchy engine. It holds the acceleration better up to the higher ranges.

As I'm very used to paddleshift on my own car, I proceeded to try out the paddleshift on the IS250. The gear changes are fast and there's no obvious gear shifting jerk. The paddles change are pretty immediate as noted on the rev meter - with each click of the paddles and the gears move up/down quite eagerly. I really like the paddles.

The steering seems to stiffen at higher speeds, however the handling feel was not near the bimmer. To be honest, it's still quite a distance. I felt the handling gut feel on the E60 5-series is still better despite it being a much bigger chassis. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this - I last drove the 523i one month back.

On the whole, if you asked me which car I prefer, I'd personally take the 323i with little hesitation at this point. I understand what the reviews are all talking about when it comes to the driving experience. Despite the IS250 being faster, the 323i felt more eager, and strangely so. Why it's important is because over time - day after day of driving. The importance of the drive will catch up to me.

The strengths of the IS250 remains that majority of it's conviniences and options are included with the 2 packages (standard and luxury) with not much need to topup. Whereas the E90 3-series is alot more basic. As highlighted in many posts, the Lexus IS250 is more luxurious. Comfort wise, I'd say both are actually almost on par.

To sum it all, It's cliche to say, but the segmentation between the 2 types of buyers are very very different ultimately.

My 2 cents.

*clap*clap*clap* Puny. I think you can consider writing every saturday for the Straits Times, bcos u know what you are talking [ I meaan it ]

Hi Puny,

Juz to confirm on 1 point. Are you saying that the ride comfort (focussing more on sound insulation) for the IS250 basic and 323i (also for the 320i) are about the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wk777ph

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back