to keep or to change my E90?

buckrogers

Hi Bros/Sis,

my ride 05 E90 320i is coming to 5 years soon, mileage about 82k.
I am in two minds whether to change to a Lexus (but COE has rocketed)
or continue - as I simply love the drive.

I have just changed my leaking radiator, hoses and all - (which costs quite a bit) but my oil pan, oil filter gaskets etc are leaking. I am unsure whether to bite the bullet and do it as I am not sure what will come next, aircon belts? (do we use timing belts or chain btw)...

any advice is welcome.

cheers.

Re: to keep or to change my E90?

buckrogers;532966 said:
Hi Bros/Sis,

my ride 05 E90 320i is coming to 5 years soon, mileage about 82k.
I am in two minds whether to change to a Lexus (but COE has rocketed)
or continue - as I simply love the drive.

I have just changed my leaking radiator, hoses and all - (which costs quite a bit) but my oil pan, oil filter gaskets etc are leaking. I am unsure whether to bite the bullet and do it as I am not sure what will come next, aircon belts? (do we use timing belts or chain btw)...

any advice is welcome.

cheers.

Keep it since you like the drive ya........

BMW = Sheer Driving Pleasure

cheers

since already drive 5 yrs liao, just keep driving it till new car prices r more attrative

all the best

At that mileage, 82K, the following item may be due for replacement if not changed before:

1. Belt & Tensioner ( mine kaput at 40K)
2. Suspension components especially rubber bushes
3. Water Pump/Power Steering Pump/Alternator
4. Valve cover gasket and Oil Sump Gasket
5. Power Steering Pressure Pipe (Just change mine at 40K and this is an expensive parts $330 for part alone)
6. Pray hard no gear box problem (better change ATF fluid and oil Pan) - $500+

If you want peace of mind then change new car but your curent car depreciation will be on straight line (much lower) compare to new car provided COE dont keep rising.

You already said: "simply Love the drive" ..... just follow your heart and keep it. You may regret having a Lexus that will be a totally different kind of driving characteristics.

Thanks bro...

these are the answers I am looking for......doesn't look encouraging ...:(

What Lexus are you considering, GS300 for a bigger space or a Lexus SUV?

If you are looking at Lexus sedan IS250, then I give you a good solution:
Sell your E90 and get a new E90. Solve your old problems but you still get the drive which you like.

But there must be other reasons why you want to change to a Lexus.

C3P0;533042 said:
What Lexus are you considering, GS300 for a bigger space or a Lexus SUV?

If you are looking at Lexus sedan IS250, then I give you a good solution:
Sell your E90 and get a new E90. Solve your old problems but you still get the drive which you like.

But there must be other reasons why you want to change to a Lexus.

GS300....IS250 no longer has mark levinson audio and I think its a bit overpriced.
Come to think of it, should have bot my friend's 1.5 y.o. 523i last dec....sigh....

Last edited by a moderator:

buckrogers;533083 said:
GS300....IS250 no longer has mark levinson audio and I think its a bit overpriced.
Come to think of it, should have bot my friend's 1.5 y.o. 523i last dec....sigh....

I see. Then why not wait for a while for COE to stabilise (and also the resale prices) and then get a e60? I'm sure there will be many of them in the market when F10 comes out. If you are patient you can get a low mileage one and maybe still under PML warranty.

It can then solve your worry about the costs in replacing wear-and-tear, plus you get the "drive" you like with a bimmer, and also the leg room you require. Swee swee no horse run.

C3P0;533089 said:
I see. Then why not wait for a while for COE to stabilise (and also the resale prices) and then get a e60? I'm sure there will be many of them in the market when F10 comes out. If you are patient you can get a low mileage one and maybe still under PML warranty.

It can then solve your worry about the costs in replacing wear-and-tear, plus you get the "drive" you like with a bimmer, and also the leg room you require. Swee swee no horse run.

I just pray my car can wait...

buckrogers;533101 said:
ur car alot of problems?

GS300 look dont impress; very old man car and model due for change..believe there is a hybrid version. F10 should be the right car for you or look across the Audi stable......S5 .....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

buckrogers;533083 said:

zorro;533121 said:
GS300 look dont impress; very old man car and model due for change..believe there is a hybrid version. F10 should be the right car for you or look across the Audi stable......S5 .....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+1.............

cheers

BMW coming 5yrs means parts are aging. Maintenance can be predicted to escalate unless you are covered. New cars are always nice :)

buckrogers;533101 said:

I see. Big dilemna siah.

Sell high (e90) but also buy high (new car). The $$ will go towards paying for the next car, but no worries about wear-&-tear.

If keep the E90, $$ will go towards repairs and also PARF value will drop. If your 5-yr is only up in June/July then you have another 1-2 months' time. COE may drop slightly by then.

Anyway, I sold my previous car just before it was 6 years' old. Spent a bit on wear-&-tear and suffer slight drop in PARF after 5th year. But ok le, I'm still alive today. ha ha.

i'm also in the same boat, car hitting 5 yrs old soon and mileage abt 60K. wanted to get the last few units of E60, but didn't have the correct colour combi. Really regret not getting it. now with coe shooting through the roof, i think i'm gonna wait till F10 and COE pricing stabilises. also want to get a later batch of F10 which has fewer bugs.

car didn't have any major issues until recently when it cant start in the 1st crank. think it's got something to do with carbon deposits. so i've been following Rod's advice and red lining and driving at 4th gear max whenever possible.

C3P0;533133 said:
I see. Big dilemna siah.

Sell high (e90) but also buy high (new car). The $$ will go towards paying for the next car, but no worries about wear-&-tear.

If keep the E90, $$ will go towards repairs and also PARF value will drop. If your 5-yr is only up in June/July then you have another 1-2 months' time. COE may drop slightly by then.

Anyway, I sold my previous car just before it was 6 years' old. Spent a bit on wear-&-tear and suffer slight drop in PARF after 5th year. But ok le, I'm still alive today. ha ha.

yeah...u hit the rite spot bro.,

wif the crazy COE prices now, guess is to put in more good money to keep my babe for a while...
btw, anybody has the updated bimmer prices after all these increases?

C3P0;533133 said:
I see. Big dilemna siah.

yeah...u hit the rite spot bro.,

wif the crazy COE prices now, guess is to put in more good money to keep my babe for a while...
btw, anybody has the updated bimmer prices after all these increases?

zorro;533034 said:
At that mileage, 82K, the following item may be due for replacement if not changed before:

1. Belt & Tensioner ( mine kaput at 40K)
2. Suspension components especially rubber bushes
3. Water Pump/Power Steering Pump/Alternator
4. Valve cover gasket and Oil Sump Gasket
5. Power Steering Pressure Pipe (Just change mine at 40K and this is an expensive parts $330 for part alone)
6. Pray hard no gear box problem (better change ATF fluid and oil Pan) - $500+

If you want peace of mind then change new car but your curent car depreciation will be on straight line (much lower) compare to new car provided COE dont keep rising.

Hmm, looks like problem starts to kick in once > 40k mileage?

Valvetronic engine prone to oil leak at the Valve-cover and oil pan and also the power steering pressure pipe is prone to leak due to the heat generated by the engine and too many bends/connection (bad design)

The high temp here doesnt help either......

Btw just change my ATF filter/pan and renew 6 litres of ATF oil...makes a lot of difference. Car seems more responsive and gear changes is damm smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fc777comph
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back