Top up engine oil

Re: Top up engine oil

davidtch;1017707 said:
For 40wt oil, who cares whether 5 or 0 as long as it is changed every 10k km.

For 30wt oil, it does matter. HTHS for O does not meet LL01FE/LL04 standard.

Not always true.

Castrol edge 0w-30 european formula is ll01 and meet hths and the higher viscosity required at higher temp. In fact, this is the recommended oil by castrol.

Castrol edge 5w-30 on the other hand, is not ll01 or ll04. Apparently this is too watery at higher temp. Many other 5w-30 do not meet the hths, nor ll01 or ll04 spec.

ll01fe is just fuel economy version of ll01...meaning...honestly, I don't know, but I saw the list before that states if it ll01fe works for your engine, ll01 will. On the other hand, if your engine can use ll01, doesn't mean it can use ll01fe.

GT9000;1020362 said:
Wat if one top up engine oil when engine is still hot/warm??

I do that all the time. So far no problem and my engine oil consumption is getting less over time.

No diff except that the hot oil is not all back into the oil pan where the oil level is measured. Careful not to overfill.

GT9000;1020362 said:
Wat if one top up engine oil when engine is still hot/warm??

Going to M'sia over the long weekend. It's close to 6k since last service and no 'top up' sign yet. Bought a 1ltr 0w40 from PML over the weekend just to standby when driving up to Msia.

It's BMW branded. I thought they were with Mobil or now with Castrol? what difference does it make?

lhong68;1020520 said:
Going to M'sia over the long weekend. It's close to 6k since last service and no 'top up' sign yet. Bought a 1ltr 0w40 from PML over the weekend just to standby when driving up to Msia.

It's BMW branded. I thought they were with Mobil or now with Castrol? what difference does it make?

I'm seeing this BMW brand being sold at Giant

lhong68;1020520 said:

Just came back from Malaysia. Didn't need to top up as the light didn't come on.

But having said that, it now worries me a bit as it's 7k since the car was last serviced (12k) and it's now 20k. Should i wait for the light to come on and then top up? or should I just bring forward the service when it's around 21k?

In my E60 before, i had to top up by 6k max. 7k worries me a bit.

any thoughts?

lhong68;1023712 said:
Just came back from Malaysia. Didn't need to top up as the light didn't come on.

But having said that, it now worries me a bit as it's 7k since the car was last serviced (12k) and it's now 20k. Should i wait for the light to come on and then top up? or should I just bring forward the service when it's around 21k?

In my E60 before, i had to top up by 6k max. 7k worries me a bit.

any thoughts?

e60 engine is older, so probably that's why you need to top up every 6k.
F10 is newer than your e60 (I presume), so it's normal that there is no need to top by by 7k.
To have peace of mind, you can just go change oil now. 20k - 12k = 8k, about time. You wait for 1k more, but worry about it everyday, no point.
Please thank me :)

Got a problem and hope bros/sis can provide insights. My engine needs to top up 1L every 1000km recently instead of 3000-4000 km.

Any insights?

Do a search for oil leak or disappearing oil .....

panda8;1067995 said:
Got a problem and hope bros/sis can provide insights. My engine needs to top up 1L every 1000km recently instead of 3000-4000 km.

Any insights?

panda8;1067995 said:

Any insights?

I got the same problem as yours previously. .
Might be your valves seal got problem...
After I changed my valve seal...
Until now no need to topup engine oil..
Recently I just went for my servicing...so far so good!

Cheers!

panda8;1068278 said:
How much did the repair cost?

As it is a partial top engine overhual ..
Total around 2k plus a full servicing. .
My used car dealer paid for it as the issue surfaced 2 weeks after I collected the car from them.
Be prepare to pay more ...normally the workshop will ask you to change other parts when they found parts that are also wearing off or faulty !

Hopy29;1068455 said:
As it is a partial top engine overhual ..
Total around 2k plus a full servicing. .
My used car dealer paid for it as the issue surfaced 2 weeks after I collected the car from them.
Be prepare to pay more ...normally the workshop will ask you to change other parts when they found parts that are also wearing off or faulty !

Thanks for the info!

Sounds like the type of engine oil burn issue with Audi EA888 engine (found in 2.0T)

panda8;1067995 said:

Any insights?

1000km sounds too fast. Don't quote me but most conti cars take up engine oil, so just "get used" to it. Personally I prefer disappearing engine oil than leaking engine oil lol

You mean some conti cars ..... ?

evospec;1070747 said:
1000km sounds too fast. Don't quote me but most conti cars take up engine oil, so just "get used" to it. Personally I prefer disappearing engine oil than leaking engine oil lol

Best to bring to your trusted machanic to check. Constantly topping up is a sign something is wrong and not worth taking risk prolonging the issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vvjlcomph
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back