Tyre Encounter

clamsgp

Kept getting low pressure warning on my rear right tyre every few days despite topping up. Brought to PML and found 2 nails stuck in the tyre. Seems they don't do patching and charge $670 for a new tyre which is a 245/45R18. Sent to Stamford Tyre at East Coast and they patch for $10. For the same tyre they charge only $518. What a difference! By the way, I believe some bros here changed to non-run flat tyres. Anyone care to share their experience with non run-flat tyres?

Re: Tyre Encounter

For me i use RE050 run flat feel like sitting on wooden bench of beach and after change to Pilot Sport 3 then i found out i was sitting in BMW not wooden bench anymore.

Hi! Like to share my experience with fellow bros with regards to the above issue.
Did some checking on pros and cons on run flat tires.
Run flat are good as we do not have spare tires, as experience by clampsgp.
However, there is general opinion that it is more expensive and that non run flat have more advantages.
I use non run flat whenever my tires wear out. Getting nails/screws onto tyres is a common problem in Singapore.
What I do is to keep a small compressor that can pump air by attaching on lighter socket.
When I have a embedded nail, I will pump-up the tire and most of the time i am able to reach a tire-shop for help.
I have over the years never have to change tires even when I have spares.
Hope my experiences helps!

if you have a dent on the door and go pml
first and only advice is change the whole door
that's normal

wt_know;1026793 said:
that's normal

If engine gasket leak then must change car already

If on non run flat, can get the pump which will patch up ur puncture tyre and drive to tyre shop to get help.

Btw wats tat pump call?

Sorry, since on the topic of tyres don't mind if i ride on your thread OT.
Is it okay if you use a mix of run flat and normal tyres?

greenfunk said:
Is it okay if you use a mix of run flat and normal tyres?

Same aspect ratio on the same axle? Generally, it is okay if you wanna mix any tyre as long as the pair on the same axle must be of the same sizes/aspect ratios/age(preferably).

You can even lub 20 inches behind and 19 inches in front..... but why would you wanna do that ?

gcc;1026757 said:
Hi! Like to share my experience with fellow bros with regards to the above issue.
Did some checking on pros and cons on run flat tires.
Run flat are good as we do not have spare tires, as experience by clampsgp.
However, there is general opinion that it is more expensive and that non run flat have more advantages.
I use non run flat whenever my tires wear out. Getting nails/screws onto tyres is a common problem in Singapore.
What I do is to keep a small compressor that can pump air by attaching on lighter socket.
When I have a embedded nail, I will pump-up the tire and most of the time i am able to reach a tire-shop for help.
I have over the years never have to change tires even when I have spares.
Hope my experiences helps!

I threw away my run flats on my 1st mth. im proud to report I hv never ever had to call a tow truck even with nails. non run flats CAN tahan too. with nails its always slow leak. if u drive on local roads. ALL THE MORE u shud use normal tires. if u go north..then ur RFs will save ur life.

wt_know;1026793 said:
that's normal

the last time I had a dent. they told me to change the whole car. I said ok. since that's normal

rt333;1026929 said:
If on non run flat, can get the pump which will patch up ur puncture tyre and drive to tyre shop to get help.

Btw wats tat pump call?

The pump is about the size of half a football.
I got it 8 years Mobil gave it when you buy their engin oil
You should be able to get it in the Internet or large accessories shop.

The BMW sensor is pretty good. The moment you have a slight leak it will indicate. The product is a simple pump to get you to a tire shop.

gcc;1027031 said:
The pump is about the size of half a football.
I got it 8 years Mobil gave it when you buy their engin oil
You should be able to get it in the Internet or large accessories shop.

The BMW sensor is pretty good. The moment you have a slight leak it will indicate. The product is a simple pump to get you to a tire shop.

I got mine FREE when I bot a lambo. wahahaha MW u haolian!? beat that! u n ur 8 ply SQ toilet

rt333;1026929 said:

Btw wats tat pump call?

If it's the original BMW one, I believe it's called Mobility Kit.

totoseow;1027038 said:
I got mine FREE when I bot a lambo. wahahaha MW u haolian!? beat that! u n ur 8 ply SQ toilet

You overpaid for the air pump. My cheap vw came with it too.

totoseow;1027038 said:

Pump?

Pfffftttttt..I just call AA

Some additional information that I like to share with regards to tires.

I generally drive with Performance and do pay some attention to my tires.

I pump my tires once every 2 weeks, while pumping I will do a quick inspection and twice I saw a screw embedded in my tire.
My sensors did not indicate a lead, so obviously the screw has not punctured my tire. I drove to the tire shop, removed the screw
and apply water at the affected part. No air-bubbles, therefore all is well. Do this yourself, otherwise the tire shop may repair a non existing lead.

When driving in construction sites and industrial parks do be careful, as these are areas likely to have nails and screws.

Hope my little share is informative to bros and sisters in this forum.

gcc;1027084 said:
Some additional information that I like to share with regards to tires.

I generally drive with Performance and do pay some attention to my tires.

I pump my tires once every 2 weeks, while pumping I will do a quick inspection and twice I saw a screw embedded in my tire.
My sensors did not indicate a lead, so obviously the screw has not punctured my tire. I drove to the tire shop, removed the screw
and apply water at the affected part. No air-bubbles, therefore all is well. Do this yourself, otherwise the tire shop may repair a non existing lead.

When driving in construction sites and industrial parks do be careful, as these are areas likely to have nails and screws.

Hope my little share is informative to bros and sisters in this forum.

very helpful. let me share my experiences as well.

1.try n equip ur cars with tires made of rubber.
2. try and stay on the roads.
3. avoid drains especially large canals.
4. nails and other sharp objects should be avoided too.
5. try and turn the steering wheel left when u go left. right when u go right.

Great practice brother. Thanks for the tips. will check my tyre next time I pump - yes every 2 weeks I do pump up.

gcc;1027084 said:

Something wrong with your tires. Do you mind sharing which brand is it? I only need to pump my tires once every few months, usually 5 to 6 months.

Every tire repair shop that I know will do the soapy water bubble leak test. If they don't do that, never return to them ever again. Hehe, kind of funny to imagine the tire shop spending 15 mins or more working on your tires and then discover they were repairing a non existing leak. Have you experienced this before?

Did you have any difficulty looking for air bubbles with water only? I suggest soapy water instead. The bubbles are easier to spot.

fredlim7007;1027164 said:
Great practice brother. Thanks for the tips. will check my tyre next time I pump - yes every 2 weeks I do pump up.

Wah biang eh! Are you using the same tire brand as gcc?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaibk8codes

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back