Upgrade new rims n tyres

pulsar88

Dear all, don't mind share where n how much u paid for upsize tyres when tradein yr rims n tyres after collect new car. Am tempted to upsize 17" to 18 or 19 for F30 . Thanks in advance!

Re: Upgrade new rims n tyres

pulsar88;979575 said:
Dear all, don't mind share where n how much u paid for upsize tyres when tradein yr rims n tyres after collect new car. Am tempted to upsize 17" to 18 or 19 for F30 . Thanks in advance!

Hurry, Leong Seng, Ray S and Top93.............

* 19ins nicer...........
cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

19in is the best.. than change ur suspension to kw v3.. power ...

dean7277;979590 said:
19in is the best.. than change ur suspension to kw v3.. power ...

Plus BBK......

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Don't forget Gruppe M and Eisenmann Race to boost the sound department.

Guys,

1) how to differentiate original from replica M style rims?
I see both original and replica have stamping of details behind the spokes. Both from Germany.

2) the stock setup size for 18x8(F) and 18x8.5(R) is 225/40/18 and 255/35/18.
Other than the height of 10mm difference, How will the following setup affect (PSS 255 no stock).
225/40/18 and 245/40/18?

Hi,
For(2),
255/35/18 overall outer diameter of tyre is 24.9"
245/40/18 overall outer diameter of tyre is 25.0"
Should we take the % difference is 24.9/25.0 x 100% = 99.6% OR less than 1% different in diameter,
so performance in term of acceleration and speedo error is negligible.

However, the ourter width of the rim fitting the 245mm width of tyre will be rather exposed out as compare
to the 255mm width, less protection against kerb scratch.
I would opt for 255 width for this reason.

The calculation on outher tyre diameter is as follow,
For example 255/35/18,
18 " diameter + (255mm x 0.35 x 2)/25.4 = 18" + 7.03" = 18.00" + 7.03" = 25.03"

Have fun with the tyre ugrading.

Hi all this is my first post.

I recently switched from 19 inchers (from previous owner) to 18 inchers - 4 brand new BMW Original 18 Inch V Spoke 342 Competition Gray Rims, with four brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires 225/40/18 Front and 255/35/18 rear. Only after installing did I realize that the previous 19 inchers were "plus sized" (275/30/19 rear, 235/35/19 front) to compensate for a lower ride height resulting from the installation of Eibach lowering springs. But now because the 18 inchers are not "plus sized", the vehicle ride height is half an inch lower than before. This has resulted in scraping on humps.

I'm in two minds - should I switch out these brand new 18 inchers and put back upsized 19inchers, or should I switch to "unshortened springs" that wouldn't compromise handling? What would the costs be associated? How much do you think I can get for these 18 inchers given that they are brand new? Much thanks!
photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

photo%203.JPG

Y nt change back to original spring? Cheapest way also. Mayb frm there then u judge. Got a fren wif same model s ur car n same problem. Bt he on 19inch. Wat he did is change rear spring back to original.

Last edited by a moderator:

fivelement;1022646 said:
Guys,

1) how to differentiate original from replica M style rims?
I see both original and replica have stamping of details behind the spokes. Both from Germany.

2) the stock setup size for 18x8(F) and 18x8.5(R) is 225/40/18 and 255/35/18.
Other than the height of 10mm difference, How will the following setup affect (PSS 255 no stock).
225/40/18 and 245/40/18?
Plz dun confuse ppl. U r referring to stock size for e9x when ts is referring to f30. f30 stock size is 225 45 18

yang is right... go back to stock and see how first. if not just go for kw?

redandwhite;1026808 said:

I recently switched from 19 inchers (from previous owner) to 18 inchers - 4 brand new BMW Original 18 Inch V Spoke 342 Competition Gray Rims, with four brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires 225/40/18 Front and 255/35/18 rear. Only after installing did I realize that the previous 19 inchers were "plus sized" (275/30/19 rear, 235/35/19 front) to compensate for a lower ride height resulting from the installation of Eibach lowering springs. But now because the 18 inchers are not "plus sized", the vehicle ride height is half an inch lower than before. This has resulted in scraping on humps.

I'm in two minds - should I switch out these brand new 18 inchers and put back upsized 19inchers, or should I switch to "unshortened springs" that wouldn't compromise handling? What would the costs be associated? How much do you think I can get for these 18 inchers given that they are brand new? Much thanks!
photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

photo%203.JPG

Ah yang;1026856 said:
Y nt change back to original spring? Cheapest way also. Mayb frm there then u judge. Got a fren wif same model s ur car n same problem. Bt he on 19inch. Wat he did is change rear spring back to original.

redandwhite;1026808 said:

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

photo%203.JPG

1) your car previously was on 19" wheel;
235/35/19 (overall diameter 647.1mm)front and
275/30/19 rear (overall diameter 647.6mm).
no scraping on humps?
2) you have now change to 18" wheel;
225/40/18 Front (overall diameter 637.2mm) and
255/35/18 rear (overall diameter 635.7mm).
it is now scraping on humps.

the most likely suspect is the shocks. if Im not wrong, you are on stocks shocks now.
time for compatible shocks for your lowered springs.

I was on 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 with stock suspension - no scrapping over hump.
changed to H&R spring with stock shocks. - scraping rear over hump.
Installed Blistien B8 shocks - swee swee!
during installation of the new shocks, found the old shocks to be totally worn out. the old shocks couldnt extend after compression.

no point changing out your new wheels & tyres and still have dead shocks.
iirc, R2D has a set of H&R sport spring and B8 shocks for sale.
you can PM Rod to check if you wanna sell the B8's only.

Thanks guys for all your good advice!

Funny thing - I lost track of this thread and was wondering why I didn't get any response (I thought the forum would email me when there are any.)

I stopped by Pitstop today and (after a long story) got a deal to swap to a set of E90 Matt Black Stock M3 wheels with 235/35/19 front and 265/30/19 rear PSS. I was assured that there would be no rubbing or bottoming out problems.

Hopefully this will raise the ride height back by half an inch and resolve the problem.

I will definitely look into the shocks. I find it incredible that the previous owner would install lower springs without changing the shocks, but I guess I shouldn't. The previous owner had installed cheap 19 inch Taiwan replica rims (that were starting to stain) on such a nice car, which was what made me "backside itchy" to go switch wheels in the first place, and result in this mess.

Peace,

All depends. If want comfort 18 is furthest I go. 19 is more for performance n fc higher a tick. Get Alvin the drummer prodrive bang for buck.

I m on 19 n it's great. Tried 18 on a same car but more comforty n bumpy.
Springs or coil again depend what u want. Spring for lowered n comfort but cheap coil would be a pain so get a better coil to achieve what u want.

End of day pocket vs comfort vs performance.

bmw original size is 225/40/18 and back 255/35/18 (bmw factory recommended )
the previous size 235/35/19 and 275/30/19 was a over size tyre But it looks better (close gap bwt tyre and wheel fender
oversize tyre can cause slower acceleration
old car spring may be also soft (lower)

Upgrade new rims n tyres

redandwhite;1027234 said:
Thanks guys for all your good advice!

Funny thing - I lost track of this thread and was wondering why I didn't get any response (I thought the forum would email me when there are any.)

I stopped by Pitstop today and (after a long story) got a deal to swap to a set of E90 Matt Black Stock M3 wheels with 235/35/19 front and 265/30/19 rear PSS. I was assured that there would be no rubbing or bottoming out problems.

Hopefully this will raise the ride height back by half an inch and resolve the problem.

I will definitely look into the shocks. I find it incredible that the previous owner would install lower springs without changing the shocks, but I guess I shouldn't. The previous owner had installed cheap 19 inch Taiwan replica rims (that were starting to stain) on such a nice car, which was what made me "backside itchy" to go switch wheels in the first place, and result in this mess.

Peace,

Hope the new rims work. But I agree with Van, the problem is likely the shocks.

redandwhite;1027234 said:

Peace,
Depends how itchy your backside is - maybe should explore coilovers which allow you to adjust height to your specific requirement.

Actually can try out tyre & rim, bro Lazycat had a thread on racing at Sepang, he use stock size 18" rim but 245/40 tyres on his F30 335, and clocked very fast time! Speedo reading will be higher than actual with this set of tyre. I will change to normal tyre after my RF wear out, plan to change to 235/45 goodyear AS2. There are website like tire size calculators to help you choose your rim/tyre. Enjoy.

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back