Vibration at 80km/h

therock610

Hi all, just got a 06 320i & experience vibration when speed reaches 80km/h.
Initially suspect tyre, replaced problem still persist.
This vibration seems from undercarriage as I can feel it & there is humming sound, any bros experience this?

Could it be propeller shaft?

Pls advise...

Re: Vibration at 80km/h

high pitch ? .....

therock610;924705 said:
Hi all, just got a 06 320i & experience vibration when speed reaches 80km/h.
Initially suspect tyre, replaced problem still persist.
This vibration seems from undercarriage as I can feel it & there is humming sound, any bros experience this?

Could it be propeller shaft?

Pls advise...

wheel balancing done? sorry..I've encountered the same problem before at 80km/hr virbration, was solved eventually after balancing is done.

When was the last time the engine oil and oil filter was changed?

Maybe can send in workshop for diagnosis

marcus28;924758 said:
wheel balancing done? sorry..I've encountered the same problem before at 80km/hr virbration, was solved eventually after balancing is done.

I've change a rim & tyre liao...

Shev;924814 said:
When was the last time the engine oil and oil filter was changed?

Maybe can send in workshop for diagnosis

Just change also, however when bought this ride, the dealer bought a service warranty of 1 year or 25000 at Optima werkz, sending in tmr to check...

Hi, my ride is Nov06 320. I have this problem too. Very strangely the vibration n humming begin when speed reach 80km/h n above. As soon as speed drop below 80km/h the ride is smooth again.
The car went in to dealer workshop for almost 2 weeks changing many parts(propeller shaft,drive shaft...etc) to no avail. Went for on-wheel high speed wheel balancing n alignment also cant solve.
I test drove another two 320i and one of them had the same problem.
The mechanic at site sponsor BXX said this is common problem with 3 series n u can easily spend $10k or more on repairs with no solution.
Just wanna share my experience n advice pple to drive above 80km/h during test drive.

evantan66;926272 said:
Hi, my ride is Nov06 320. I have this problem too. Very strangely the vibration n humming begin when speed reach 80km/h n above. As soon as speed drop below 80km/h the ride is smooth again.
The car went in to dealer workshop for almost 2 weeks changing many parts(propeller shaft,drive shaft...etc) to no avail. Went for on-wheel high speed wheel balancing n alignment also cant solve.
The mechanic at site sponsor BXX said this is common problem with 3 series n u can easily spend $10k or more on repairs with no solution.
Just wanna share my experience n advice pple to drive above 80km/h during test drive.

OMG! Mine is still in workshop now, mechanic will replace drive shaft, keep my finger cross, will update soon...

What about at 110-140kph? Does it still vibrate?

Try to get a second opinion, ask Dr Rod at R2D to check out for you.

evantan66;926272 said:

Just collected my car, both drive shafts & propeller shaft were replaced, luckily was cover by service warranty, so no cost involved:dance:

Went for a test drive, there is a significant reduce in vibration but still feel there is still a bit, maybe i'm too sensitive, need to monitor a while...

Did they check your diffs ?

therock610;926417 said:
Just collected my car, both drive shafts & propeller shaft were replaced, luckily was cover by service warranty, so no cost involved:dance:

Went for a test drive, there is a significant reduce in vibration but still feel there is still a bit, maybe i'm too sensitive, need to monitor a while...

Check your bearings. Bearings of wheels normally produce a humming sound when they are worn out. Any it only occurs at a resonating frequency. like in your case at 80km/h. either +/-20-30 km/h will have no more sound already.

However if you don't change it, the range of speed which it makes noise will keep increasing.

I changed tyre to normal instead of run-flat and cruising become a breeze...
Got a Continental, still not ideal and plan to change to Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2 later.

Hi therock610 and all,

I have a whining noise too, from moving and the loudest being at 60-80km., the same workshop checked and said is axle spoiled which is not under warranty. Now negotiating with the workshop and car dealer on who to pay. I bought this 2007 E70 in oct 2012 and have spent $2k since.....: (.

TS, do you still have the problem after driveshaft and propellar change?

Rgds

HI Peeps..

Not so sure but could it also be due to the engine mounting? Try being in a stationary position with gear engaged at D.. Place both your hands on the steering wheels, if you can feel the vibration, confirm engine mounting...Then again, i could be wrong....

Axle spoil ? Maybe need second opinion ?

Mambo76;970275 said:
Hi therock610 and all,

I have a whining noise too, from moving and the loudest being at 60-80km., the same workshop checked and said is axle spoiled which is not under warranty. Now negotiating with the workshop and car dealer on who to pay. I bought this 2007 E70 in oct 2012 and have spent $2k since.....: (.

TS, do you still have the problem after driveshaft and propellar change?

Rgds

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
U888ink
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back