Warranty and Mods

yky

I have ZStab and sprintbooster in my car for more then a year now. Two days ago, brought my car to PML for some minor electric problem ( interior light refused to turn on when door opened ).
They called back after a day and said that the mods are 'totally unacceptable' and refused to repair the car under warranty.
I had previously brought the car in without any problems and they knew about and had accepted these mods.
Anyway, they are technically correct so I instructed them not to effect any repairs and I will bring the car out to a private workshop. I won't want to remove those mods as I feel they gave me real benefits.

So be prepared if anyone wants to go to PML for repairs under warranty. They take their rights seriously.:(

Re: Warranty and Mods

LOL. Obviously they wouldn't want to perform any waranty repairs under such circumstances, in fact, they would be foolish to do so. The warranty is there for a reason. So if you still desire to have the bimmer under warranty, don't muck around with it. Else, screw the warranty and go all out coz the sky's the limit.

Call me "Chicken Shit", I keep mine either stock standard. Or call me "Robert" coz I get mine enhanced ONLY at the BMW "stearlership".

yky;192000 said:
I have ZStab and sprintbooster in my car for more then a year now. Two days ago, brought my car to PML for some minor electric problem ( interior light refused to turn on when door opened ).
They called back after a day and said that the mods are 'totally unacceptable' and refused to repair the car under warranty.
I had previously brought the car in without any problems and they knew about and had accepted these mods.
Anyway, they are technically correct so I instructed them not to effect any repairs and I will bring the car out to a private workshop. I won't want to remove those mods as I feel they gave me real benefits.

So be prepared if anyone wants to go to PML for repairs under warranty. They take their rights seriously.:(

What has sprintbooster has got to do with Interior lights problem? How did they know that u have installed a sprintbooster? PML service team got smarter liao nowaday? they have ever took out my Breyton lowering springs and not aware that they are not stock until I told them.

They said that my battery is going. Anyway, mine is a 2 year 10 months car ( 2 months warranty left ). They said that the weak batt could be due to the sprintbooster, could be due to the ZStab, could be due to the overdrive pulleys, could be due to...I also think that it could be due to normal battery wear. I told them that I am willing to have the Zstab removed ( as it is closely related to the battery ) but they say that I must de-mod everything.
As I had said, PML has acted officially and correctly and I will not fault them technically. I was just hoping that they would show some goodwill as I am a long time customer and I had made the mods known to them for the past year. A battery is not that expensive to be replaced but potentially losing a loyal customer is another thing. Anyway, I am getting my batt replaced outside and will be keeping the mods.

are batteries covered under the warranty to begin with?

Hmm. Good question. Don't know leh. Did not really think about that. Anyone knows?

usually batteries are wear and tear items... and need to be changed every one to 2 years... so not covered under warranty of car. Certain brands of batteries do cover the batteries under their own warranties....

Hi. Since this is old thread, hopefully could still get some responses/comments.

A while back, my friend had 'challenged' PM abt items under warranty, because the Advisor refused to replace the item FOC. He did manage to get the replacement FOC eventually, not after some hoo-haa.

1. Does anyone know the list of items that are considered wear-and-tear? I know Volvo only indicates Brake Pad and Tyre - isnt that GREAT?! But I know PM will screw us.

2. During the 3-yr warranty, can I send the car to outside workshop for normal servicing, who is an ex-PM engineer?

Tks.

Bro..
U have some very good questions there.
I'll advise u to start ur own new thread.......

ex-PM engineer doesn't mean the fella good...just that he got more chances to work with BMs. we can only say he is more exposed to BM. End of the day, it still boils down to that person's own capability, learning curve, adaptibility, blah blah blah.

for more old school BM type of workshops, u can try BM workshop or M&Q.
for more adventurous bros (heck the warranty if there's any), can try BVO, J4C, UM2 and etc...

sorry OT, recently went to see the new forrester ... change headunit or rims, warranty void too ...

A member since 2005, but has been a very passive member without any post. The new ruling is tat I must clock a mileage of 10 posts, then I can create NEW post.

Therefore, at the moment, have to hijack this post :oops:

Herman;334710 said:
Bro..
U have some very good questions there.
I'll advise u to start ur own new thread.......

change HU or rims, warranty also can void ah?? thats really sucks man cos its the 2 most common items to mod for most cars

sci60708;334773 said:
sorry OT, recently went to see the new forrester ... change headunit or rims, warranty void too ...

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back