Wat type of rims

Re: Wat type of rims

SC_IS;316038 said:
Very light 19", will beat stock 16-17 any time in weight and give you better FC

Didn't know that, thanks for pointing it out. Damn, now I ran out of excuse not to upgrade to 19"!

Hi SC-IS,
Which brand of rims r the recommended ones tat r light & are known for improving fc & performance? Plus of coz must look good. :)

wah, this kinda you must ask the pros here. I personally am on BBS. They are one of the lighest, strongest, and also sui sui rims in the market. Mine will cost about about $700/pc for a 17". 18,19 will set you at least 1k per rim.

There are brands like OZ, Rays, etc la.. All big, strong, and aggressive looking. But most importantly, LIGHT. i'm not so well versed in this so cant name you specific models. Do a search and you'll find quite a few here.

Oh yes on another note. Bigger Rims = bigger, wider tires.

Some tires are heavy, others are light weight. So that matters as well. Lighter again, gives you better FC.

Another point. The wider your tires are, = more surface contact with the ground, = more torque to move your wheels compared to thinner tires say 225 to 245, = higher FC.

So if your car doesnt have that strong a engine. Dont go for too big rims+tires. Wide tires are nice to look at but are not FC friendly.

Then of course there are staggered setups where say front 225, rear 255. This means u cant do tire rotation and have to end up buying new tires more often then others. So unless u're prepared to put in the extra dough for this, dont go staggered.

Thats about all i know, or i can rememberd the seniors thought me. Should give you guys a good idea where to head towards. :)

Apparently ur seniors taught u well !

er, just a note, surface contact with ground, ie surface area btw tire and road does not change with bigger rims. The shape of the contact patch changes(from a more squarish one to a more oblong one), overall surface area does not.

This change is shape is what gives you better lateral grip when taking your corners.

The area only changes if you have changed your vehicle's weight significantly.

Why it takes more torque to make your wheel move has more to do with the weight of the rim, tire and also the overall rolling resistance of the tire you choose.

Wanna save on your fuel cost,,,just stick to your 16" unless you wanna beautify your ride...or if you want the replicas for the E36 ..You should go for the ACs or Hamanns type as these are suited well for this particular period of these cars!!
These rim supplier is suituated at Kaki Bukit iand supplies the whole of singapore and is also able to trade in your old ones from 250 to 400 bucks

satines;316386 said:
Is yours E90/16". How much does the shop take in for? Let me know the $$, may be interested to get a spare set

Hi, I dunno how much yet as I havent went to any shops... Will let u know once i checked it out? :)

asther04,

Be decisive on what you need - aesthetics or performance. And at what kind of budget. There will be opposing views on issues like FC vs sizes, weight/width of tyres vs grip of tyres around corners, thinner tyre profile vs durability and so on. If you cannot make up your mind on what you really need, you will be confused by the advices.

For one, rims are a very personal thing. Some love lips, some love extended spokes. Some love the looks, some love the lightweight factor. You can get forged wheels which are really light - Schmeiden and Neez, for instance - at premium prices. I saw a set of Dymag Carbon Magnesium wheels at ESpace - for S$17K a set. But it is so light you can lift it up with 2 fingers. So where do you draw the line for performance? Your budget, of course.

For two, what's your driving habit? Do you track? If you gun off your car at every traffic lights, go for weight factors. Go light weight. If not, and looks are more foremost, then go for what you really want.

How about customised rims like DPE, HRE, or iForged? You choose your rim size, width, offset, colours, lip width....... personalised to your own taste. Go surf e90posts.com for more feel.

Hi Kenntona,

U r rite, i'm getting confused... Ha.. coz i never bothered about all these with my previous car. Well, i guess everyone wants a bit of everything, performance, looks & efficiency... But if i reali have to set a priority, i guess it will be looks 1st, FC & comfort 2nd, performance 3rd. My driving habit is pretty reasonable, dun race or go too fast as well... Budget wise, i dun mind spendin for somethin i reali like... But so far, i still dunno wat to look for or where to start looking. Perhaps i have to go down to a shop to see it on my own. Coz from the pictures everythin looks great but i havent seen one that makes my heart pound (u know what i mean...) ha... Only one that i tink i reali like is the picture posted by Azrielsc- Wald international bodykit for e90 - i love the look of the kit+rims. :)

The other thing to bear in mind - dropping the ride. After you change to bigger rims, you might wanna consider dropping it - else it might look like a 4x4. That means coilovers or lowering springs. On coilovers, ride will be harsher, but you could experience better handling on your car. Factor that into your budget.

Do your research. Dun rush into it.

Come to the meet-up to see what looks good to you and what you like.

Hi Kenntona,

Thanks for all the useful info, yes will definitely factor all these in my budget. :)

& sure, will try to make it down to one of the meet up sessions to get a good look at wat everyone has! :)

whatever you decide 19" is the best for any 3-series be it E46 or E9x. lagi best if is staggered. look more fierce.

good luck.

Hi acupunch...

Dunno abt the fierce thing le... haha.. my fren jus commented today tat with the colour of my car, can never look fierce. Ha... Sad case. Dunno if i made a wrong choice gettin this colour.

asther04;316405 said:
Hi acupunch...

Dunno abt the fierce thing le... haha.. my fren jus commented today tat with the colour of my car, can never look fierce. Ha... Sad case. Dunno if i made a wrong choice gettin this colour.

Haha dont worry...with the right mods...can be fierce one. haha

aiyo... haven't start modding kenna pour cold water. like that I would said save up the money. don't waste it. you're sure mixed up with the wrong people. tio bo BMW-SG bros. :lol2:

BTW what colour is your ride? got any pic? I'm sure Bros here will give you good advise to how can you pimp it up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88onlineclub
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back