Weird rattling sound & humming sound

Contra

Hi guys

I collected my car about 1.5 mths ago, 318i new from PML.

After 2 days of driving and getting to know the car, I noticed a high pitched humming sound when the car is in D mode. I can't describe the sound but it sure sounds like those diesel engine sound that u hear in taxis.

Then about 2 weeks ago, there is a very irritating and loud rattling noise when I depress the brake pedals when coming to a stop. This happens almost every morning when I drive to work, but occasionally during the rest of the day. I also noticed a short rattling noise when I let go of the brakes to move off.

Have tried to call PML serciving for the last week but all my cars went unanswered even after holding for more than 30 minutes each time!

Have any other bros here experienced the same strange noises before?

Re: Weird rattling sound & humming sound

Contra;679313 said:
Hi guys

I collected my car about 1.5 mths ago, 318i new from PML.

After 2 days of driving and getting to know the car, I noticed a high pitched humming sound when the car is in D mode. I can't describe the sound but it sure sounds like those diesel engine sound that u hear in taxis.

Then about 2 weeks ago, there is a very irritating and loud rattling noise when I depress the brake pedals when coming to a stop. This happens almost every morning when I drive to work, but occasionally during the rest of the day. I also noticed a short rattling noise when I let go of the brakes to move off.

Have tried to call PML serciving for the last week but all my cars went unanswered even after holding for more than 30 minutes each time!

Have any other bros here experienced the same strange noises before?

I used to have this irritating rattling noise from the dash near the aircond vent, just few weeks after collected the car.

I sent back to PML for ratification, i was very polite. it was fixed but only last for few days.

I sent back to PML again after a while, and again i was very polite and requested the SA to get it fixed, again, the rattling noise comes back after few weeks.

I sent back to PML for the third time and for the same problem, but this time I WAS F***CKING TL AND BANG THE DARN TABLE AND I TOLD THE SA THAT DONT F***CKING TELL ME IT WILL BE FIXED AGAIN AND I JUST WANT THE RATTLING NOISE TO BE ELIMINATED PERMANENTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And i got it real fixed this time.

What kind of rattling noise? I hope it is not ABS kicking in. It might be that you are used to drum brakes. It's hard to get a 4 disc brake car to come to a stop without feeling a slight grr and a jerk before it stops, even if you brake gently.

The humming noise is likely a rear differential issue. I have the same issue and I'm getting mine diagnosed at MA. See:
http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/engine...-section/50474-e90-rear-differential-oil.html

detach8;679343 said:
What kind of rattling noise? I hope it is not ABS kicking in. It might be that you are used to drum brakes. It's hard to get a 4 disc brake car to come to a stop without feeling a slight grr and a jerk before it stops, even if you brake gently.

The humming noise is likely a rear differential issue. I have the same issue and I'm getting mine diagnosed at MA. See:
http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/engine...-section/50474-e90-rear-differential-oil.html

Hi bro

Its defnitely not ABS, I was braking at snail speed, not even close to triggering the ABS. I was on brembos on my old ride and I didnt have such probs..

Looks like I need to make a trip down personally to PML to get them to check...

OhYea;679329 said:
I used to have this irritating rattling noise from the dash near the aircond vent, just few weeks after collected the car.

I sent back to PML for ratification, i was very polite. it was fixed but only last for few days.

I sent back to PML again after a while, and again i was very polite and requested the SA to get it fixed, again, the rattling noise comes back after few weeks.

I sent back to PML for the third time and for the same problem, but this time I WAS F***CKING TL AND BANG THE DARN TABLE AND I TOLD THE SA THAT DONT F***CKING TELL ME IT WILL BE FIXED AGAIN AND I JUST WANT THE RATTLING NOISE TO BE ELIMINATED PERMANENTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And i got it real fixed this time.

Bro I understand how you feel. I mean if you buy a normal jap car nowadays you dont even get creaks and rattles and you would expect more from a bmw. I used to have serious rattles on my old subaru but I lived with it as i felt it was part n parcel, but such loud rattling and humming sound from a normal 318 is seriously unacceptable...

Contra;679658 said:
Bro I understand how you feel. I mean if you buy a normal jap car nowadays you dont even get creaks and rattles and you would expect more from a bmw. I used to have serious rattles on my old subaru but I lived with it as i felt it was part n parcel, but such loud rattling and humming sound from a normal 318 is seriously unacceptable...
IMHO, u have set ur expectation for 318 too high.

Look in here:
BMW 3er Limousine : Technische Daten

318 is juz like Toyota Corolla 1.6L in Germany except it is made in Germany. Anyway, BMW is prone to creak & rattle due to it's super stiff chassis.

i do agree that 318/320/323/325 is entry level and not the crown jewel of bimmer. nonetheless, it's still a bimmer ... quality is critical and should be conti standard. unless bmw comes up with another product line like budget airline which is no frill.

so, if not M3 ... is 335 considered a good up level bimmer? 335 also have this sickening creak and rattle problem. is the expectation of a 335 that costs $200k too high?

i agree that 318/320 vs 335 is uncomparable in term of drivability, performance, engine, etc but the car body and interior are basically the same. assuming a 318/320 fully spec'd msport with idrive compare with 335.

davidtch;679677 said:
IMHO, u have set ur expectation for 318 too high.

Look in here:
BMW 3er Limousine : Technische Daten

318 is juz like Toyota Corolla 1.6L in Germany except it is made in Germany. Anyway, BMW is prone to creak & rattle due to it's super stiff chassis.

Last edited by a moderator:

wt_know;679680 said:
i do agree that 318/320/323/325 is entry level and not the crown jewel of bimmer.
nonetheless, it's still a bimmer ... quality is critical. unless bmw comes up with another product like budget airline which is no frill.

so, if not M3 ... 335 considered a good up level of bimmer? 335 also have this sickening creak and rattle. so, is the expectation of a 335 a $200k car too high?

i agree that 318/320 vs 335 is uncomparable in term of drivability, performance, engine, etc but the car body and interior are basically the same.
Actually, all E90/91 from Germany comes from the same plant in Munich including ///M3. We can't use our pricing expectation of car here to equate to it's quality. Not forgeting our car price is artificially inflated.

Since u said 335 also got sickening creak, my only explanation is stiff chassis vs plastic.

Lastly, if 1 2 be free of creak & rattle, the best choice is "Relentless Pursuit of Perfection".

wt_know;679680 said:
i do agree that 318/320/323/325 is entry level and not the crown jewel of bimmer. nonetheless, it's still a bimmer ... quality is critical and should be conti standard. unless bmw comes up with another product line like budget airline which is no frill.

so, if not M3 ... is 335 considered a good up level bimmer? 335 also have this sickening creak and rattle problem. is the expectation of a 335 that costs $200k too high?

i agree that 318/320 vs 335 is uncomparable in term of drivability, performance, engine, etc but the car body and interior are basically the same. assuming a 318/320 fully spec'd msport with idrive compare with 335.

Im not saying that 318 is the crown jewel, but this particular rattling sound is very obvious and very loud, it only comes on when u depress the brake and comes to a complete stop. It is loud and sounds like brake pump or brakes not working properly. you know when u step on the brakes at a red light junction, the loud rapid rattling sound (below the steering wheel or driver floorboard) comes on and when u let go of the brakes it goes away. This cant be acceptable for any cars right?

i know ... i drive a 320.
even my wife were shouting ... eeee each time when i tap the brake, go up/down carpark, drive thru manhole or uneven roads, etc
my previous ride mazda 6 2.3L is sibei quiet and stable. so from my wife point of wife i downgrade from mazda to bmw

Contra;679705 said:
Im not saying that 318 is the crown jewel, but this particular rattling sound is very obvious and very loud, it only comes on when u depress the brake and comes to a complete stop. It is loud and sounds like brake pump or brakes not working properly. you know when u step on the brakes at a red light junction, the loud rapid rattling sound (below the steering wheel or driver floorboard) comes on and when u let go of the brakes it goes away. This cant be acceptable for any cars right?

wa mai ... don't want to be like the aunty said her lexus is sibei quiet, she knock down someone also cannot hear and thought it's tree branches ... lame

davidtch;679701 said:
Lastly, if 1 2 be free of creak & rattle, the best choice is "Relentless Pursuit of Perfection".

wt_know;679708 said:
i know ... i drive a 320.
even my wife were shouting ... eeee each time when i tap the brake, go up/down carpark, drive thru manhole or uneven roads, etc
my previous ride mazda 6 2.3L is sibei quiet and stable. so from my wife point of wife i downgrade from mazda to bmw
Wait till arm bush give way. The tok tok sound even more unbearable.

hmm how many kms on your car? that sounds like you have a brake noise to me. new car maybe brakes not bedded in properly? ask PML to look @ brakes, or replace the pads? *shrug*

Contra;679705 said:

Your rattling problem might be similar to mine. Check out my post in other thread..

detach8;679836 said:
hmm how many kms on your car? that sounds like you have a brake noise to me. new car maybe brakes not bedded in properly? ask PML to look @ brakes, or replace the pads? *shrug*

Hi there

Yes that is my suspicion too, I think some bros think that the rattling sound is from the dash, but its actually from under the pedals i think, and it comes on only when i step on the brakes and when i release them, and it is intermittent, but when it comes on, it is a loud 'tatatatatatata' sound. I recently noticed that if I step harder on the brake pedal, the sound goes away. Like u said, it could be brake pads or maybe even brake pump..btw my car is only abt 3200km...

Will go to PML to check it out soon...

elginlye;681111 said:
Your rattling problem might be similar to mine. Check out my post in other thread..

HI there

Yes it is like that! just that I experience it EVERY morning, and now more during the rest of the day. Have u tried stepping harder on the brake pedals? I think it goes away, so u may be right, brake discs/brake pad as stepping harder means the calipers grip harder which will mute the sound..

Have u solved your prob?

I guess your brake pads aren't bedded in properly, better get to workshop to check. Don'y play play when it comes to brakes.

Contra;681678 said:
HI there

Yes it is like that! just that I experience it EVERY morning, and now more during the rest of the day. Have u tried stepping harder on the brake pedals? I think it goes away, so u may be right, brake discs/brake pad as stepping harder means the calipers grip harder which will mute the sound..

Have u solved your prob?

Yes, solved. Mine's actually a loose plastic cover (the one with BMW logo) under the bonnet. You can try yanking it gently to reproduce the sound.
Reasoning? During low rpm n moving off/ coming to a stop, engine block vibrates more, causing loose parts to rattle.

Ask PML to tighten the screws/nuts.

Was also advised to idle for >= 1 min after cold start, e.g. in the morning, or after 8 hrs parked. To allow engine oil/lubricants to circulate b4 moving off. It does make for a smoother drive, less whining sound. A preventive maintenance measure.

i think a humming bird accidentally get stuck in ur engine bay. hen a rattling snake went in to eat it.
after a while there will be no more humming sound. only rattling sound. means the snake ate the bird liao.
go to pml, tell them there is a snake in ur car.

pls thanks me

elginlye;681741 said:
Yes, solved. Mine's actually a loose plastic cover (the one with BMW logo) under the bonnet. You can try yanking it gently to reproduce the sound.
Reasoning? During low rpm n moving off/ coming to a stop, engine block vibrates more, causing loose parts to rattle.

Ask PML to tighten the screws/nuts.

Was also advised to idle for >= 1 min after cold start, e.g. in the morning, or after 8 hrs parked. To allow engine oil/lubricants to circulate b4 moving off. It does make for a smoother drive, less whining sound. A preventive maintenance measure.

wow... that BMW logo must be damn big.
you can hear in the cabin with engine running?

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back