Weird Sound on my E90

Monfreeze Archangel

Hi All,

i am having the funny sound and can't seem to figure it out, i noticed this about 2 months back and its getting louder, kinda wang, wang, wang sound. its starts around 70km/h till about 85km/h, and above 85km/h it disappears. Its definitely not the rear diff, as I have that too, and rear diff is a constant whining sound, this is louder and only occurs at a certain speed. i have changed the front wheel bearings and that didn't help either. Its something mechanical...i guess...not tyres either :(

Hope you can hear it on the video here, kinda obvious around the 1.40min mark of the video....

IMG_0772.MOV - YouTube

Help and inputs are much appreciated as this is driving me nuts:huhhuh

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Weird Sound on my E90

Cannot really hear but it could be the tyres, which may either be worn unevenly.

Monfreeze Archangel;781687 said:
Hi All,

i am having the funny sound and can't seem to figure it out, i noticed this about 2 months back and its getting louder, kinda wang, wang, wang sound. its starts around 70km/h till about 85km/h, and above 85km/h it disappears. Its definitely not the rear diff, as I have that too, and rear diff is a constant whining sound, this is louder and only occurs at a certain speed. i have changed the front wheel bearings and that didn't help either. Its something mechanical...i guess...not tyres either :(

Hope you can hear it on the video here, kinda obvious around the 1.40min mark of the video....

IMG_0772.MOV - YouTube

Help and inputs are much appreciated as this is driving me nuts:huhhuh

thanks

Sounds like tire noise.. which set are u in?

tomace;781875 said:
Sounds like tire noise.. which set are u in?

Hi Bro Tomace,

I am on Dunlop Direzza dz101 225 45 R18 on the front.....even though noise is coming from the front...it sounds more like mechanical rather than rubber.....sound like some sort of bearing sound. But why it starts at 75km/h and disapperas after 85km/h.....weird....will try to swap some other tyres and see.....

Thanks

pengful;781739 said:
Cannot really hear but it could be the tyres, which may either be worn unevenly.
Thanks Bro Pengful,

doesn't sound like tyres leh...not rubber like sound...something like grinding...bearings....could it be alternator bearings? also no diffrerence with A/C turned offor on....so does that rule out the compressor?

Going crazy....

shy to offer friends a ride.....

Monfreeze Archangel;781950 said:
Thanks Bro Pengful,

doesn't sound like tyres leh...not rubber like sound...something like grinding...bearings....could it be alternator bearings? also no diffrerence with A/C turned offor on....so does that rule out the compressor?

Going crazy....

shy to offer friends a ride.....
Hi Bro Pengful,

thanks but maybe try video at 1:54min and 1:55min mark...seems the loudest.....

will try to post again with better audio quality.....

Cheers.....

Monfreeze Archangel;781952 said:
Hi Bro Pengful,

thanks but maybe try video at 1:54min and 1:55min mark...seems the loudest.....

will try to post again with better audio quality.....

Cheers.....
Anyone has come across this before.

Thanks

sounds like tyres or brake discs to me.

Are you brake discs ok?

Previously I did not drive my car for 2 weeks and there was rust on my brake discs and caused some noise that gets louder at from slower speeds till a certain speed but not really audible after the tyre noise and wind noise comes in.

ryan75;782107 said:
sounds like tyres or brake discs to me.

Are you brake discs ok?

Previously I did not drive my car for 2 weeks and there was rust on my brake discs and caused some noise that gets louder at from slower speeds till a certain speed but not really audible after the tyre noise and wind noise comes in.
Thanks Bro,

Disc Brakes are all okie...funny leh.
The car is always driven....and this sound is driving me up the wall......

Thanks again

Monfreeze Archangel;781943 said:
Hi Bro Tomace,

I am on Dunlop Direzza dz101 225 45 R18 on the front.....even though noise is coming from the front...it sounds more like mechanical rather than rubber.....sound like some sort of bearing sound. But why it starts at 75km/h and disapperas after 85km/h.....weird....will try to swap some other tyres and see.....

Thanks

Hey Monfreeze,

Maybe its e tires. DZ101 gets noisy after 25 000km usage. Soft side walls too.. Its the echo of the wind build up within the wheel section tat travels into yur cabin.

Can consider this, rotate yur tires, pump up yur tires to front 275, rear 295 (working temp as in when hot) and monitor it.. rotor, brake noise are even worst! Bearing noise are not like tat too.

My nee jiam :)

Cheers ~~~

tomace;782180 said:
Hey Monfreeze,

Maybe its e tires. DZ101 gets noisy after 25 000km usage. Soft side walls too.. Its the echo of the wind build up within the wheel section tat travels into yur cabin.

Can consider this, rotate yur tires, pump up yur tires to front 275, rear 295 (working temp as in when hot) and monitor it.. rotor, brake noise are even worst! Bearing noise are not like tat too.

My nee jiam :)

Cheers ~~~
Nice one Bro,

i will try this out during lunch time and see how it goes.....thanks for taking the time to provide input. much appreciated bro.
btw i am on staggered setup...front 225 45 R18( DZ 101)while rear is 245 40 r18 (Potenza RE001)
Gham zhia....

Monfreeze Archangel;782187 said:
Nice one Bro,

i will try this out during lunch time and see how it goes.....thanks for taking the time to provide input. much appreciated bro.
btw i am on staggered setup...front 225 45 R18( DZ 101)while rear is 245 40 r18 (Potenza RE001)
Gham zhia....

No worries...

U mean 255/40/R18 for yur rear tire? A mixture of different make of tires will have some noise due to different thread patten. Guess should be this tat causes the wind noise.

Hope all goes well ~~ :)

Cheers ~~ :)

*conti having promo, check it out. :woottt:

tomace;782199 said:
No worries...

U mean 255/40/R18 for yur rear tire? A mixture of different make of tires will have some noise due to different thread patten. Guess should be this tat causes the wind noise.

Hope all goes well ~~ :)

*conti having promo, check it out. :woottt:
Hi Bro,

Thanks for the great inputs, wanted to pump the air and do a drive test but raining leh....postpone till later.

U might be right.... a mix of diff treads (tyres)....but my front is 225 45 R18 and rear is 245 40 R18....

thanks the heads up on Conti...will check that out too...

Much appreciated bro.
Cheers

Monfreeze Archangel;782347 said:
Hi Bro,

Thanks for the great inputs, wanted to pump the air and do a drive test but raining leh....postpone till later.

U might be right.... a mix of diff treads (tyres)....but my front is 225 45 R18 and rear is 245 40 R18....

thanks the heads up on Conti...will check that out too...

Much appreciated bro.
Cheers

No worries ....

245/40/R18 consider undersize tires for 18 inches.. Correct size should be 255/40/R18.

tomace;782368 said:
No worries ....

245/40/R18 consider undersize tires for 18 inches.. Correct size should be 255/40/R18.

OKie Bro,

Learned something new today :)

Also feel that the front set up is wrong profile as well......

Thanks again....

Cheers

Monfreeze Archangel;782376 said:
OKie Bro,

Learned something new today :)

Also feel that the front set up is wrong profile as well......

Thanks again....

Cheers

Front is correct.

18 inches staggered setup:

Front : wheel 8JJ to 8.5JJ - tire 225/40/R18 (non common size = 235/40/R18 )
Rear: wheel 8.5JJ to 9.5JJ - tire 255/35/R18 (non common size = 265/35/R18 )

My take on the noise;

You should attempt to isolate whether the noise is realated to the engine or tyre/tranny. Noise can be very elusive to detect;

1. Hv u tried to replicate the noise at different gears? If the noise emnates at different speeds through the gears then it not likely to be a tyre issue
2. If the noise is emnated at 80kmh regardless of which gear it could be a tyre problem as highlighted

Cheers
Vince

tomace;782416 said:
Front is correct.

18 inches staggered setup:

Front : wheel 8JJ to 8.5JJ - tire 225/45/R18 (non common size = 235/45/R18 )
Rear: wheel 8.5JJ to 9.5JJ - tire 255/40/R18 (non common size = 265/40/R18 )

Hi Bro,

Thanks, and point noted.

Was adviced sometime back to use this set-up.....when i went in for balancing....

225/40 R18 for the front
255/35 R18 for the rear

I will try to get this sorted out.....

Thanks Bro

GTV6;782423 said:
My take on the noise;

You should attempt to isolate whether the noise is realated to the engine or tyre/tranny. Noise can be very elusive to detect;

1. Hv u tried to replicate the noise at different gears? If the noise emnates at different speeds through the gears then it not likely to be a tyre issue
2. If the noise is emnated at 80kmh regardless of which gear it could be a tyre problem as highlighted

Cheers
Vince
Hi Bro,
thanks for the inputs bro....i have tried that out already leh....

regardsless what gear ratio...once i hit 75km/h the sound comes on till about 85km/h and then it fades away.....jialat....Sianz
seems like tyre based on the comments by all the bros out there (u included)...cheers.

Monfreeze Archangel;782444 said:
Hi Bro,

Thanks, and point noted.

Was adviced sometime back to use this set-up.....when i went in for balancing....

225/40 R18 for the front
255/35 R18 for the rear

I will try to get this sorted out.....

Thanks Bro

Sorry. There is a typo on my side.

Correct (or common/popular) tire size for 18 inches staggered is as per your post.

Front: 225/40/R18
Rear: 255/35/R18

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Paisei ~~

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ww88atcom
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups