what shoud be the fuel comsumption norm for E46 318i ?

jjs_sg

Just got my E46 318i 6 months ago. Tried monitoring the fuel consumption and it has been consistent to have 13.4L/100km. It is normal ? I do have a few friends driving the same car but they can achieve around 10.5L/100Km.

Re: what shoud be the fuel comsumption norm for E46 318i ?

I think there are some old threads on this - but in summary, the consumption varies with driving styles, city v.s highway driving etc... if you ask me 13.4 does not seem to warrant any concern.......

jjs_sg said:
Just got my E46 318i 6 months ago. Tried monitoring the fuel consumption and it has been consistent to have 13.4L/100km. It is normal ? I do have a few friends driving the same car but they can achieve around 10.5L/100Km.

Hi There

13.4 is a on the high side.

BTW, assume yours is a 2.0 L valvetronic and new car?

Should already have run in engine by now and usually for people like myself who does 90% city driving and always stuck in jams and waiting in the car while engine idling can still manage 9.6 to 9.8L / 100KM. BTW, I gun my ride quite often too. I am also on 18s.

Some mods may also affect consumption sometimes like wheel size, intakes, exhaust etc etc......

I know of a Bro here who did some mods and can manage like 300+KM with half tank left!!!!! And he does not drive like a Wuss.....

Why don't you share your driving habits and mods here before trying to pin point what could be the reason?

Cheers!

Good day to you.

hmm...

In my opinion, you should be getting more mileage from your car.

For your info, my E46 318i Val 2.0 is getting about 300 to 310 km at half tank (63 litres) and the worst part is that I do alot of agressive driving. Partly becos I can't resist a nice cornering and hard acceleration off the line type.

Do check around for the reason of your poor mileage. Honestly I will really feel the pinch if I'm in the same position as you. $$$ :furious:

Take care and hopefully the bros here will shed some light to your case.

Catch ya around....

TobyNik said:
I know of a Bro here who did some mods and can manage like 300+KM with half tank left!!!!! And he does not drive like a Wuss.....

You talking about me ah? sorry dude, lately quite busy... n changed mobile too. need time to transfer all the contacts again. will call you when free.

btw, 13.4L/100KM... i rather drive 5er liau although i dun really care whats the fuel comsumption like. just pump when needed.
mine is 9.1L/100KM. just checked.

jjs_sg: ur car really a big drinker! drive back to PML ask them to check... under warranty :)

calvin said:
You talking about me ah? sorry dude, lately quite busy... n changed mobile too. need time to transfer all the contacts again. will call you when free.

btw, 13.4L/100KM... i rather drive 5er liau although i dun really care whats the fuel comsumption like. just pump when needed.

jjs_sg: ur car really a big drinker! drive back to PML ask them to check... under warranty :)

Bro,

Maaf ya! I didn't know......

NO worries, catch up soon.............

Cheers!

calvin said:

Mine is a 318i 2.0L model, 6months old.

I have been complaining but they did nothing but kept verifying the figure ! I am really pissed ! I have a fairly balance city/highway driving and I am never an agressive driver. I do not believe it is normal but just run out of idea what to do with it.

Sent in PML the first time, they ran a test and got 7.4km/L. This aligns with my reading and they claim nothing wrong. I was upset and requested them to tell me in writing (on PML letterhead) that 7.4km/L is normal for 318i. They back off....

Sent the second time, they pump up the tyre pressure to 2.5bar(front) and 3 bar (rear). They drove for 49km with 25km on a highway, achieved 12.5km/L. To me, this is unbelievable ! They tried to conclude that I have got the wrong tyre presuure at 2bar(front) and 2.3bar(rear) originally. In my opinion, the tyre pressure they used is too much for 205/50 R16 tyres.

Any kind soul could advise how I could convince PML to do a more detailed check on my car instead of kept verifying the fuel consumption figure ?!

Dude

What's yr mileage now?

Do you always drive very gently, or occassionally "whack" the bugger a bit?

On stock 16s, you should achieve well below 12.0l / 100KM

Any noted problems with ride during the last six months like any leakage of any sort?

Did PML upgrade any software or clear your adaptation or anything like that?

Any mods?

Just share some of these details and some Techy Bros here might have some idea what might be wrong.

CALLING PiggyBoyz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And other Tech gurus here.......

Cheers!

Oh man ! 13.4l/100km is not high, its VERY HIGH !! geez, even my 330 does less than 11.0l/100km even with spirited driving and that includes up n down the CTE everyday fm Yishun to Raffles Place and rounding here n there on w/ends ! if i take her gently around its only 9.8l/100km.

Think u sure have a problem on yr consumption. Hope u get yr answer soon fm PML.

Cheers !

What's yr mileage now?
14,000Km

Do you always drive very gently, or occassionally "whack" the bugger a bit?
mostly gentle. For times when I "whack", the consumption goes below 7km/L
7.3-7.5km/L and the moving average for the last 6 months, I track every tank I top up.

On stock 16s, you should achieve well below 12.0l / 100KM
No in my case.

Any noted problems with ride during the last six months like any leakage of any sort?
no problem that I am aware of. that's why I am really pluzzled. Suspect something wrong with the fuel control system.

Did PML upgrade any software or clear your adaptation or anything like that?
Not that I am aware. PML kept trying to verify the consumption figure instead of trying to find if somewhere has gone wrong !

Any mods?
No mods, everything original from PML

I am reluctant to take the reason of driving habits since I know I have many friends driving the exact same car and they are definitely a more agile driver than I do ! They all get much better fuel consumption than I do !

Hmmm. After reading this thread, i'm quite concerned as well. I drive a 318 valvetronic, purchased Nov. 04. I don't have OBC on my car, but based on my odometer with city driving, by the time i hit 1/4 tank left, i've covered around 300 - 330km. Based on this average (and my manual calculation), i'm doing about 15.75l/100km. I drive the car pretty hard and am almost always past 3000 RPM with lots of sudden stop and go movements. Tire pressure is 34PSI in front and 32PSI rear running on M Sport 17" rims.

Saw the post with 300 k's at half tank... I'm amazed - might be the heat here in the Philippines which probably causes my car to run richer... Never complained to the dealer because I get same consumption from my 95 honda civic which is a 1.6L...

Must be that my foot is heavy, but then again, maybe my calculations are wrong.

me took the car in early Dec 2004... doing 9.45l/100km or 10.57km/l ... last calc at end May 2005. also on 17" rims, but pumping V-Power all this while... normally will get to about 300-330km at half tank mark.

fwiw, used to get about 10.1, 10.2 L / 100KM for my 318 FL.

however, a couple of months ago, the readout on the dash decided to show 0.2 L / 100KM, giving me probably one of the most fuel economical cars in the world :D

then 2 weeks ago, the readout changes to 9.7 L / 100KM, and has stayed at 9.7 since - weird huh. hope it's nothing serious. will be getting the thing looked at by pml during the first servicing...

My ride 320 sedan half tank mileage is 300 to 320km. So is it good?

Liverpudlian said:
My ride 320 sedan half tank mileage is 300 to 320km. So is it good?

My 330 coupe can travel 350KM for half a tank :) So your 320 sedan is no good :(

mikeygar said:
Are these highway miles??? If not, then my consumption is SCREWED! :(

Hi ! Brother.

Rule 1 : Please don't believed what someone claimed by just reading the forum.

Rule 2 : If you choose to believe and still have doubts, please refer to Rule 1.

Now you know I don't own a 330i coupe :)

This is just a joke and I hope I did not offence anyone :)

My 318i cannot achieve 300KM for half a tank :(

So looks like your 318 fuel consumption is worse than my 320....

Phew! Now it reads 9.9l per 100km. Normal i guess then.

Hi all,

TO have an accurate readout from thr fuel consumption meter, you have to 'reset' them before taking their reading. Usually I will reset it after I re-fill my tank and then once 'low fuel warning light' lited, I will then check this reading.

With the total distance travel and total fuel consumed, you could probably able to get values closed to the meter-readout provided you traveled 90% highway and 10% city.

Take note that leaving the car idling for 15min can consume much more fuel than travelling for 15 min in highway.

I could complete about 480km from full tank to 'low fuel light' come on with my 2.5l 6 pot with 70% highway 30% city.

I believed 318i 2l should be easily ~600km.

Hope this help.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789clubmobi

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back